Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some encouragement....

Ok so I was banded 2/16 and on my two week pre-op I lost 9 lbs. 1 week post op I lost 4.5 lbs and at my 2 week post op mark I had lost another 7 lbs. Well I weighed myself today and it looks like I gained back 4 lbs!!:) I can't believe that so early on I'm already going backwards. This is so depressing. I'll be honest, I did eat somethings that I shouldn't have but not in a large quantity. My sister-in-laws bday was on saturday and she asked me to make her a german chocolate cake (from scratch) :drool:and I did and I had a couple peices over the week. That was the only bad thing I had really. Would that really cause me to gain 4 lbs??? The slices were so small and i only ate it once a day. I even went back to low carb foods, no Pasta, bread or rice and I still gained. I'm so sad right now. I guess another part of it is that I haven't been able to work out like I want to. My doc said no machines just walking until my first fill on 3/16 and I want to do more. I just really want to this weight off. I'm so tired of being uncomfortable in my own skin. Any advice is appreciated.

I can understand the frustration on not being able to work out! but be patient with yourself, this is a life journey not a quick fix!

Suzie x

Hey Queen, I was banded on feb26th-09. I did the 2weeks liquid diet lost 10pounds before my surgery,Now that I am postop I have lost 3 lbs that was on thrus, Now it seems like I am at a stand still, am still on the liquid diet doing alot of protien shakes and sugarfree koolaid..But I am wonderin the same to..Will I contuine to lose, or will I see more of a lost when its fill time..? My doc said I couldnt get a fill til my 4weeks..Since most ppl are swelled from the surgery. So maybe then I will see a change..I just wish I would lose more...maybe other banders out there can give me some input on how they lost weight post opt til a fill...Thks Sommer

NCs, it is very common for bandsters to put on a few pounds during this time. The liquid diet you were on did get you to lose weight and quickly, and now that you are back on solids, your body is reacting by taking that food straight into storage. I'm sure there might be some sodium issues too since you likely are consuming more of it. In fact, it could be a great deal many things causing that gain.

I wouldn't worry too much, but it is also best not to take a step back either. Take care of what you are eating, because it is very easy to fall off track. Getting back on track can be really hard sometimes. Just keep in mind how much you are going through and how much you did go through to lose.

Best wishes! HTH

Thank You Suzie, SommerBrez, and LilMissDiva. I really appreciate ya'll taking time to write me back.

Suzie: I know this won't be a quick fix, however, I don't want to go backwards either. I know I need to be more patient with myself its just hard to when I see so many people already getting to their goal. I guess I don't factor in how much time they invested to get there.

SommerBrez: I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. I get my fill in a week and a half. I hope to see some change after that especially since I will be able to work out then.

LilMissDiva: what about the sodium? I do try to keep a low sodium diet but thats because high blood pressure runs in my family. How is that contributing to my weight gain?

High sodium contributes to Water retention, which we all know translates into weight gain. It's just speculation based on my own experiences. If you are on a low sodium diet, this is probably not the case for you.

Just throwin stuff out there.

High sodium contributes to Water retention, which we all know translates into weight gain. It's just speculation based on my own experiences. If you are on a low sodium diet, this is probably not the case for you.

Just throwin stuff out there.

Ahh that does make sense. I going to blame the cake!! lol. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Did you gain any weight between surgery and your first fill?

Well actually no I personally did not, but I've seen enough posts here to know that many have.

it could have been the cake, our bodies react when we don't have carbs for awhile then eat some again. Best thing to do is not worry so much. Don't let the worry turn into more worry and more cakes.

You will do fine, I'm sure of it. :cursing:

NCS~ Girl!! You know that right now you are just supposed to worry about healing!! The time between surgery & the first fill alot of people gain weight. My doc told me not to go NEAR a scale during this time. (But, I didn't follow THOSE directions, cuz, well, I am a freak! LOL!)

LilMissDiva is soooo right!

I don't know if you already do this, but keeping a food journal works for me. I try to eat 5 very small meals a day. A meal can be a fat free yogurt. But it keeps my metabolism going. Watch your portions. I realized after surgery, what I thought was a portion, was actually about 2 or 3!! :thumbup:

And be kind to yourself. You are doing great! You took a MAJOR step towards health!! Plus, it took us how long to put this weight on?? It'll take awhile to take it off. BUT WE WILL!!!!!! :rolleyes:

(And german chocolate cake is my all time fav! I am sooo drooling over here!!!)

BIG hugs,

Lol thank you Shelly!! You always make me smile! I can give you the recipe, if you want it.... its dangerous though that cake lol. I can't wait for my first fill. That's my new countdown lol.

hi, i was banded on 2/16. i only lost a couple pounds this week and i was sooo disappointed in myself. everone expects me to drop dramatic amounts quickly and that puts pressure on me. people think it's the same as bypass and it is not. im going to keep going. i am so glad i did this. i am willing to wait patiently for the pounds to drop.

my port is really sore today. how does yours feel?

hi, i was banded on 2/16. i only lost a couple pounds this week and i was sooo disappointed in myself. everone expects me to drop dramatic amounts quickly and that puts pressure on me. people think it's the same as bypass and it is not. im going to keep going. i am so glad i did this. i am willing to wait patiently for the pounds to drop.

my port is really sore today. how does yours feel?

Yea I guess I kinda was hoping the weight would fall off fast (knowing that it wouldn't). Its funny no one is pressuring me but I'm pressuring myself. I know I shouldn't be so hard on myself.

As for my port, the pain comes and goes and it ranges in pain from really sore to moderate. I hope you feel better!

Lol thank you Shelly!! You always make me smile! I can give you the recipe, if you want it.... its dangerous though that cake lol. I can't wait for my first fill. That's my new countdown lol.

Oh my gosh.........if I had a german chocolate cake in the house....LOOK OUT! Thanks for the offer, but, whooof, that would just send me over the edge. Will power would go right out the window! :crying:

I too, can't wait for my first fill. (the 18th!!) I feel like I really screwed up this weekend. I ate some not-so-fat-free-food over the weekend. I am soooo mad at myself! :rolleyes:

IWALKTHELINE~ There are a few people in my life who ask me every single time I see them, "How much weight have you lost? Still being good??" It drives me NUTS! I kinda feel like they are waiting for me to fail. But, I think really they are hoping for my success.

Hugs,

Oh my gosh.........if I had a german chocolate cake in the house....LOOK OUT! Thanks for the offer, but, whooof, that would just send me over the edge. Will power would go right out the window! :crying:

I too, can't wait for my first fill. (the 18th!!) I feel like I really screwed up this weekend. I ate some not-so-fat-free-food over the weekend. I am soooo mad at myself! :rolleyes:

IWALKTHELINE~ There are a few people in my life who ask me every single time I see them, "How much weight have you lost? Still being good??" It drives me NUTS! I kinda feel like they are waiting for me to fail. But, I think really they are hoping for my success.

Hugs,

Lol I know what you mean. Also to comment on the everyone asking how much weight you loss, I at first was very proud to admit that I got my band but now I feel I shouldn't have said it. My DH is an army recruiter and all the wives and girlfriends in his station are all teeny tiny women. This past weekend we went bowling and I felt like all of them were just looking at me to see if I lost anything. I really wanted to say something like, its not magic you know?? And it hasn't even been a month yet. It is frustrating.

I totally know what you mean. I am avoiding the base like the plague!!! I know my hubby has been telling everyone about my surgery, and I don't want to run into any of the wives. I don't think I could handle the questions and being treated like I am some side-show freak! :rolleyes:

Hugs,