Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me!!!! Please!!!

I am scheduled for LB Friday 3/6/09. I went to see my regular PCP this am for a follow-up to an unrelated problem...she does not like the idea of LB at all, she said that I will gain all of my weight back...I am self pay and that thought terrifies me!!! She believes that so many people gain all of the weight back and are to ashamed to admit it, that's why we rarely hear about them. I was so positive, now I'm just scared. This is the first negative thing I have heard. Anyone else get negative feedback from pcp doc and went for it anyway??? Any other suggestions or advice.

Oh my, I'm shocked to hear a doctor was so negative about the band.. Even if there is a chance someone could gain weight back, there is an even greater chance that you will lose the weight and be healthy.. And with the band, should you feel yourself start to go backwards after reaching your goal, you can just restart your program and get control... I think this person was very uninformed, especially for a doctor. You need to do some extensive reading here on this site.. Go to some of the threads from people who have been banded for a longer period of time. I have met lots who are at or past their goal and are doing so wonderful.. There are no guarantees, that's a fact, but you surely won't lose it if you don't even try.. I say you came to the right place for some encouraging words... I hope you can make the right decision for you and don't let someone else dissuade you from your goal... Best of luck... Julie

Hi, your Doctor is not very well informed. It sounds like she is trying to manipulate you into doing things her way.Go forward with your plans and look for a different PCP.

Sounds like your doctor has a very skewed opinion of the band or possibly any WLS. The band has great approval rates among many doctors.

I wouldn't let her Detour you from something you have obviously decided on and worked to get. The band is reversible and you will do just great. I see no reason to ever need to reverse what I have done though. I like to have the option in the event I ever get ill and need to have it removed.

Good luck. Stick with it you will be absolutely amazed within a year!

I agree with everyone here. Your PCP needs a lap band education. I asked my PCP what he knew and I was very surprised by just how much he did know and how happy he was that I chose lap band over gastric bypass. He told me about the seminars and how to choose a surgeon.

I would go through with it because you are the one who matters. You know what to do to make sure your band works with you to lose the weight. Even if there are times when you take a couple of steps back you can always get back on track. I do not regret my decision at all.

I have not heard anyone say they regret getting the band even after having complications. If you feel you are informed and are ready then go for it. Not all doctors are for chiropractors but they prove worthy too. If you don't have a great relationship with your doctor otherwise I would highly consider finding a new one as you will still have to see him/her for years to come after the band. Either way I would get your doctor pamphlets of info from you surgeon and explain to the doc how you felt about what he said and that you feel you are making an informed decision.

Good Luck!

That is awful that your PCP was so negative, but remember this doctor probably has limited knowledge of the lapband. Any effort in weight loss is a positive. I was banded Feb 17th and have lost 7.2 lbs in 2 weeks. Great for me but have seen even better weight loss on this website. Anyway, you have a great chance at suceeding with it. I chose lapband after losing 100lbs 2 times and regaining both times! (Diet and exercise work but I need help with maintenence and this can help me keep from overeating) There is no guarantee but you can't give up. Keep your head up and good luck no matter what you do!

We are taught that the band is a tool not a cure, it is to aid us with our weight loss. I agree that perhaps your doctor is not very informed and maybe is coming to her own conclusions.

If you are prepared and ready I say GO FOR IT!!! I have not found a doctor yet that was against the Lap Band,even when they are figuring out my antibiotic dosage in liquid form (wink)

Good~Luck to you!!

Since you are self pay (I was too), you don't need anything from your PCP to have the surgery done. If you have done your research and feel that the band is right for you, then you should go ahead and do it..... right after you find a new PCP. I love my band! Good luck to you!!! Becky

I am self pay, went to my primary doctor out of courtesy to inform him of my decision and he tried to talk me into Gastric Bypass. He just 'knew' of another doctor who 'did' the GB and that this doctors surgery somehow made it so you never had dumping syndrome. I was like, "seriously??" did you really just say that to me? He went on to tell me the same thing your doctor said to you.

Fast forward to now:

MY DOCTOR EATS CROW EVERY TIME I SEE HIM!!!!!!!!! Each weigh in the nurse is like: "wow you lost more weight.." It is hilarious!

Would you go to a foot doctor for your teeth? No. General doctors are just that. General.

Primary Care Doctors only study one tiny chapter of WLS for their doctorate! That opinion she gave you was extremely damaging.

Edited by CapitolChick

That's pretty funny, I went to my PCP for diets pills and he told me to go for the lap-band, said I'd never lose the amt of weight I need to and if I did I'd likely not keep it off, not that he had to tell me that, I already knew that! Also I have ulcerative colitis and asked my GI Dr what he thought, and he said fine go ahead......get a new PCP would be my suggestion...PB

I am scheduled for LB Friday 3/6/09. I went to see my regular PCP this am for a follow-up to an unrelated problem...she does not like the idea of LB at all, she said that I will gain all of my weight back...I am self pay and that thought terrifies me!!! She believes that so many people gain all of the weight back and are to ashamed to admit it, that's why we rarely hear about them. I was so positive, now I'm just scared. This is the first negative thing I have heard. Anyone else get negative feedback from pcp doc and went for it anyway??? Any other suggestions or advice.

Wow, time for a new PC doctor who is more supportive. I believe in being well informed and you should know that not everyone succeeds with the Band. However, medical journal studies pertaining to WLS and in particular banding, show a high success rate compared to individuals who are just on a modify diet and exercise program.

Check out the following threads if you have time. You can down load free medical studies pertaining to WLS by using the search tool at the links below.

JAMA, the Journal of the American Medical Association, a weekly peer-reviewed medical journal published by AMA

Mayo Clinic medical information and tools for healthy living - MayoClinic.com

Good luck!

Well, let's see since only 7% of diets ever work WHAT percentage of lap-band patients keep their weight off???? Your doctor has no clue what he or she is talking about. Now, if he had said that "based on your history" he felt that YOU might gain your weight back (like, if he knows something about you and your history and lifestyle that we don't . . . like you aren't willing to change what you eat, etc.), THEN I might give him some credit or at least cut him some slack.

But if you were me, I would give your doctor some CORRECT information and statistics and then quickly find another doctor.

Maybe he just knows someone who gained their weight back. Who knows?

I didn't tell my PCP what I was doing. He tried to put me on MediFast again. I wanted to tell him that HE could eat that crap if he wanted to . . . but I refrained. :confused: The lapband is working out FABULOUSLY for me. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!