Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band erosion and Caffine...

I have been reading posts and have come across several that indicate that the reason we are not able to drink caffeine is because it erodes the band. I would love someone to explain to me how a liquid that is ingested erodes a band that sits outside our stomach? This makes no sense. I would imagine that drinking too much caffeine is bad because it's a diuretic and we need as much Water and liquid as possible between meals but that is the only reason I can imagine for not drinking caffeine.

Can anyone tell me how caffeine gets on our band?

Thanks

Christy

I have never heard of that before. My doctor didn't say anything about not drinking caffeine. I drink coffee every day. The only thing I was told not to drink was carbonated liquids, like diet or regular sodas, because the carbonation could stretch the stomach.

I am curious to hear what others have heard about this.

In the WLS for Dummies book it says that carbonation stretching the stomach is a myth. What it does do is cause lots of gas that make you feel very uncomfortable. I think all doctors across the board tell you not to drink caffeine. And I do wonder how things affect the band on the outside. :)

Remember: band erosion is not the band itself eroding, but the band eroding into your stomach tissue. Band erosion can be seen with a scope from the inside of your stomach. Band erosion is rare. You would have to ask your doctor, but I really doubt moderate coffee drinking would cause band erosion. Now if caffeine is aggravating stomach ulcers, than that might be different.

My doctor said that coffee is just fine - good thing because I have a cup or two every morning - I need it!! Can't have carbonated beverages. Best to do what your doctor says, but I've never heard of caffine hurting your band - have heard that it might stimulate your appetite.... just brings me up to the human level in the morning. Take care!!! Becky

I thought it seemed far fetched that drinking caffeine would erode your band but it is interesting to hear that erosion happens from the inside out. That would have to take a lot of caffeine, I would think.

Thanks for the posts it seems strange that so many of our docs tell us all so many different things, some of them quite opposite. Well, I guess whatever works.

Have a good night.

Christy

coffee is acidic so sitting there on your stoma could, potentially cause issues. That said, you'd have to probably drink a lot of coffee.< /p>

Also, caffeine can play hell with your insulin, and given how we can only eat small amounts, best to keep your insulin level optimal for weight loss.

My doc said soda is like liquid candy....and those dieting shouldn't have candy.< /p>

I drink soda everyday and have to use a straw or I drink to fast.

I wish I could kick the Mt. Dew habit. I was shopping at Walmart and put in 10 2liters....won't even last me a month.

alcohol and caffeine do stimulate acid secretion in your stomach, as does decaffeinated coffee. Caffeine also blocks production of prostaglandins, weakening your stomach's cytoprotection........(what ever that means) ......probably why we shouldn't have caffeine

Yeah, I was told by my doctor the soda issue is that it could be very painful when the gas cannot escape. I have sipped a few times and found that for me, it is true. Everyone is different though...but I know I feel a lot better without the soda now -- don't miss it as much as I used to.

The whole erosion topic worries me though...the fact that it is something that could happen without you realizing it. Thanks for discussing it further!

alcohol and caffeine do stimulate acid secretion in your stomach, as does decaffeinated coffee. Caffeine also blocks production of prostaglandins, weakening your stomach's cytoprotection........(what ever that means) ......probably why we shouldn't have caffeine

Ok that's scary. I actually had a very serious nodoze-type addictin to caffeine until very recently. Luckily I was able to spend a week detoxing and overcome the addiction but I still drink unsweet ice tea on a regular basis. Maybe I should start drinking my tea Decaf.< /p>

Caffeine is a stomach irritant. You want to try to avoid stomach irritants as they can thin the lining of the inside of the stomach and can cause erosion. The band itself doesn't erode, but the stomach itself can become thin enough to where the band comes through the lining of the stomach and is now on the inside of the stomach.

I've never been told to quit drinking coffee. Matter of fact, it, and tea were on my clear liquid list right after banding. I've heard that depending on brewing time, and the type of tea, that it actually has more caffeine than coffee.