Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be Careful with the New Fill Procedure

I had my second fill yesterday and my Dr. advised me of a new procedure. No lidacane- that was no biggie, just a little pinch. The biggie is after they drain all of the fulid out, discard it, then refill it with fresh Fluid, this is what happens.

You sit up, the Dr. has you drink Water while he fills your band until the Water no longer goes down. then he starts to remove it until you can swallow again. I got less Fluid in now that when I went in. I had 3.5cc and I only wanted .5cc. I do pretty well. 1st fill after surgery was 10/17/08. Surgery date was 6/18/08.

As of today I can barely drink a slimfast shake. I have to take small sips and it is hard to get water down. That traumatized my stomach. It felt like something was stuck in my throat all night and still today. He say's this is a better way to get a more accurate fill but it was painful. I could feel the band tighten up immediately and to have the water stop in my esoughogus (not sure on spelling) not good.

In the future: I am ok wihout lidacane and the removal of the fluid and repalcing with the fresh- but I will only get .5cc more than I had previously in without the sitting up and swallowing water. That was a horrible expereince.:)

Edited by rcoleband

I had my second fill yesterday and my Dr. advised me of a new procedure. No lidacane- that was no biggie, just a little pinch. The biggie is after they drain all of the fulid out, discard it, then refill it with fresh Fluid, this is what happens.

You sit up, the Dr. has you drink Water while he fills your band until the Water no longer goes down. then he starts to remove it until you can swallow again. I got less Fluid in now that when I went in. I had 3.5cc and I only wanted .5cc. I do pretty well. 1st fill after surgery was 10/17/08. Surgery date was 6/18/08.

As of today I can barely drink a slimfast shake. I have to take small sips and it is hard to get water down. That traumatized my stomach. It felt like something was stuck in my throat all night and still today. He say's this is a better way to get a more accurate fill but it was painful. I could feel the band tighten up immediately and to have the water stop in my esoughogus (not sure on spelling) not good.

In the future: I am ok wihout lidacane and the removal of the fluid and repalcing with the fresh- but I will only get .5cc more than I had previously in without the sitting up and swallowing water. That was a horrible expereince.:)

Which band do you have, Realize band or Lapband?

Hmm...I was banded Nov 08, and I've had 1 fill, 1 total unfill, and 2 new fills. That is how my doctor has always done it...once the needle is in, I sit up and drink Water until I feel it start backing up. I've never had a problem drinking afterward. The first two days are always more sensitive and I just drink liquids, but I always adjust quite fine afterward. So I'm curious why your doctor told you it was a "new procedure." :)

Hmm...I was banded Nov 08, and I've had 1 fill, 1 total unfill, and 2 new fills. That is how my doctor has always done it...once the needle is in, I sit up and drink Water until I feel it start backing up. I've never had a problem drinking afterward. The first two days are always more sensitive and I just drink liquids, but I always adjust quite fine afterward. So I'm curious why your doctor told you it was a "new procedure." :)

I was banded in June of 08. They normally just give about .5cc to 1cc for your fills and see how you do. When I went this tmie he said that the Lapband reps came in and showed them a new way to give fills.

I am still having trouble getting frozen yogurt down. It feels as if something is caught in my throat and when I swallow, like something is getting stuck. It is better if I stand and drink. I hope this goes away by tomorrow. It is very very uncomfortable and I can barely get anything liquid down.

I originally had 3.5cc when I went in. He added 9cc then backed out. I could barely breathe. I just want .5cc fills from now on, I did not have a problem in the past with fills.

Thanks for your post.

It's your body - you don't have to agree to this method. If my doctor attempts to do it this way, I will refuse and insist on the old way.

Since he had never done it before, I agreed. I will not be doing this again. This is my second day of liquids and I have to stand to get that down. I am afraid to try food. I will try yogurt in the morning. I hope it goes ok. Thanks for your post.

Hmm. I had my lapband done 9/16/08 in st Pete, and this is how he has always done my fills. It sounds like he didn't pull enough out to make sure you are comfortable swallowing. I guess all the doctors are different. Hope you get feeling better. :)

Interesting! I have never had a fill done that way. First time I heard about it being done that way.

I have heard of it being done this way before. In my opinion, it mostly just lets the doc know how much is in there.

My doc does not care how much is in there as long as I am comfortable and losing weight. I only have approximately 3ccs in an 11cc band.

I was over filled the first time just because it was new to both of us but now he is very conservative and I get under 1cc each time.

I am going in tomorrow and am actually expecting a slight slight slight unfill. I have been having trouble getting anything beyond mushies down for a month. I have lost good weight but need to be on regular food.

My doc does fills incrementally - and I'm glad for it. He's also never used any kind of pain meds - just a poke and that's that.

What doesn't make sense to me is some days are tighter than others - so if they adjust the way you described every time I would think it would make your restriction very inconsistent.

There is already so much inconsistency amongst band docs. With diet and exercise and fills etc.... It's disturbing to be on the consumer end of the chain.

Brad

Edited by bambam31

That's what my doc does, i love it!!

It gets less tight by time and i can know what i can eat and how i drink also :blush:

That's how my fills are done only I do have the numbing. I had a bit of trouble with my last one, but it is great now.

Since he had never done it before, I agreed. I will not be doing this again. This is my second day of liquids and I have to stand to get that down. I am afraid to try food. I will try yogurt in the morning. I hope it goes ok. Thanks for your post.

When I was like this after my second fill, I had to go back and have .5 cc removed. I had been ok the day of the fill and the Water went down ok when I was chugging it when he was doing the fill. The following morning, I could not keep liquids down. You may need just a slight bit removed to be at your right place.