Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone, I"m scheduled for lap band surgery on 3/13. I'm nervous, excited and scared all at the same time. Most of my friends tell me not to go through it and some tell me to do it. I'm confussed. What are some of the things I'm going to feel after surgery? How long is the pain? Has anyone had the lap band for more than 3 years without any problems? :)

Hey hun, I'm a fairly new bandster (banded 1/12/09), but I will say your feelings are perfectly alright. I was nervous and excited for weeks before the surgery. It wasn't until 2 days before I got the scared feeling. And boy do I wish I hadn't gotten that. I ended up with a major Migraine the morning of the surgery. Luckily they give you good drugs to sleep! haha

As for the feelings after, right away I was happy I did it. I have no regrets. I worry now and then that I'm not doing something right, but I'm just in my 8th week and still adjusting to eating. As far as pain, I really didn't have a ton of pain. It hurt a little for a couple days, and after that it was more of and uncomfortableness for a few more. sleeping was where I felt it the most. But I was a stomach sleeper and had to adjust to sleeping on my back or on my side propped up with a pillow. Hunger is a whole different story. Going through the states on the post-op diet, I was hungry a lot until I got to week 3 when I had soft foods. But if you look around through the forum and all over the web, you'll find plenty of sources to help you out.

Good luck to you!!

Hello, when people found out that I was getting band, I some people for me and some didn't wanted me to have the procedure done. But I had to come to grips to what was right for me and this time in my life. Yes, I was nervous all the way up to the "knock out medicine", but I had peace and joy and I knew that this was right for me. Since being band (12/18/08), I'm down 47lbs and the people that didn't want me to have the band now they are happy for me.. So go for it and may God bless you. Oh, p.s. I HAVE NO REGRETS!

I too will be getting banded on the 13th. Its hard waiting. I am scarred and excited at the same time. You will do great though i'm sure:thumbup:

Thank you. I really appreciate your input. Today was my visit to the Psychologist. Everything went well. Now, I"m just counting the days. The only thing I"m scared of is freaking out when I see the anesthesiologist.

hello, for my experience the pain of the surgery was none but the gas pain was hoorible worse than i have ever felt, i gave birth to three kids and this pain was not even close to having kids. it lasted for 2 weeks i did all the stuff the doctor said but really nothing helped thill it totally went away well sometimes i still get it after eating and its bad for about 1 hour,other than that pain wize is no bigge, but let me tell you i did not loose any weight the first 4 months because i could'nt eat any healthy food at all, the only stuff that went down was junk food wich freeked me out i was thinking to my self i spent 13,000 for this bad very discourage but arter a while i decided that not becausei could eat it i would. so i went back to basics diet,exercise cuz lapband is not a miracle at all if you dont change the way you eat and exercise you will not loose weight for some people weight just comes off for other like myself its ben very hard sometimes i feel that it was a waist of money becacse what im doing i could of done it will out the band,i wish i had reserched this surgery more and lissent to all the bad lapband stories out there. hope i dont discourage you that is just my personal experience, stay strog and do wats best for you.