Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded in July 08 and have only lost 10 pounds!! HELP!

Hey everyone. Its been a while since I posted or even been back too this site since my surgery, but I realized that I need everyone's support more than ever now. I was banded in July 08 and was doing SO good. I lost about 10 pounds in the first month and then since September....NOTHING!!! Its been 7 months and not one pound...actually I gained about 3! I even canceled my appt with my doctor in January because I was so embarrassed about my weight loss or lack of! I did just bite the bullet and am going back to the doc next week. I have had 3 or 4 fills but I just can't seem to get it together food wise. I am eating 1/2 of what I used to eat but have compensated with ice cream and sorbet...goes down SOOOO easy! My basic diet consisits of a Protein Bar for Breakfast, 1/4C chicken salad with 5 crackers for lunch and for dinner usually some egg salad on greens. snack is usually some popcorn or ice cream! Thats it and believe me, compared to what I used to consume, this is NOTHING! I am wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions or eating tips for me. Should I look more towards calories? I just need help and I feel like such a let down after this surgery...not only to the people who know but too myself most importingly. I worked so hard to get approved through the insurance company and everytime I see my Human Resources Director, she gives me the once over glare! Please help!!

How is the exercise going? It sounds like your body went into starvation mode. How many calories are you eating a day? Less isn't always better?

Don't eat ice cream!!!!! Man is it full of calories!!! And not the good kind.

I have been exercising about 2x a week. I would like it to be more but right now its all my back and leg can handle. I truly wonder if I should just start counting calories and keep it about 900-1000. Thanks for your input

I feel your pain. I was banded on Sept. 18th and have lost only 19 lbs. I lost the 19 with no issues between Sept and Nov. I have not lost anything since Thanksgiving. I have gone as far as joining weight watchers hoping that between the band and WW I will start losing. Why so some loose so my much and others seem to have issues loosing? I have 7 cc's in a 10 cc band and I am finally having some problems with certain foods.

Sorry I was not able to give you any food advice but at least you know you are not alone.

Edited by lea2015

Thank you for sharing! I too have been looking around at people who had their surgery in July like me and Im seeing 40,50, 60 even 70 pounds! I wish! I know the ice cream is a killer but how come that goes down so easily but I have issues with a piece of chicken? If I do eat chicken, i have to chew, chew, chew or I quisinart it to death for chicken salad! Maybe we can stay in touch and help each other through this major speed bump? I think support is key :thumbup:. Thanks

Hi Dee, I was also banded in July. How many cc's do you have in your band? If you are having such a hard time with solid Protein maybe you need a bit of an unfill. It sounds like you are leaning towards food that slide down easy..aka slider foods, with the slider foods you are going to end up consuming more calories and you wont feel full for very long. I won't lie, I do have ice cream on occasion but limit it to 1/4 cup or so. Is it uncomfortable to eat solids? Do they get stuck? My surgeon was very cautious with fills and now I think i'm in a good spot. Please see your doctor and do not be ashamed, your doctor should be there to support you and give you advice. Also please continue to come to this website there is so much good advice and things to read that you may be going through as well. I know there have been times I feel like i've fell off the wagon or have become discouraged but I come on here everyday and most of the time somebody is going to the same thing. Stick with it, you can do it!

Hi Dee, are you drinking with your meals? My doctor keeps reminding me that not drinking 15 min before a meal or 30 min after a meal are key. Also, if you feel the need for the ice cream how about SF popsicles or fudgesicle? Throw the ice cream away and start fresh. It seems like you are making some good decisions (other than popcorn and ice cream) so maybe cutting out the poor snack choices and not drinking with your meals could be the help. I would also try to get in as much exercise as you can. I just don't lose weight with just my eating I have to exercise at least 3 days a week for 30-40 min at a minimum.

I agree with a previous poster, you sound a little too tight. Sometimes just a small unfill will make all the difference. Also, you may want to make sure you eat at least a 1000 calories a day. I try to stay 1200-1500. It varies. If you stay below 1000, your body will think you are starving it.

It couldn't hurt to try keeping your calories between 800 and 900 a day for a week and see how that goes!

I think my doctor recommends about this amount while you are in the active weight loss phase, and the amount increases slightly when you are in maintenance phase.

I know it sounds like soooo few calories, but it really makes you super aware of just how many empty calories you are taking in. It would be so easy for me to meet my daily calorie intake with just snacking!

Try to commit to the week challenge and see how you feel....you've come so far by getting banded, you just need to find the magic to re-start your weight loss fire.

p.s. If you are looking for a calorie buddy, hit me up cause I could totally use the support too!

I don't know how many cc's I have but I will ask next week. I never thought that I could have too much in there....I just thought the more the better....meaning more restriction, more weight loss. I cannot eat steak...and if I do, its usually has to be the really expensive kind! I guess better cuts of meats can make the difference. Also, shrimp is a problem as well as chicken and bread...definitely bread! salad can be tricky too at times. As for not drinking before and after, I will give that a try. I usually don't drink during but I will drink afterwards and not 30 minutes either, its more like 10. I will try that for now and when I go and see the doc I will talk too him about having too much in the band and see what he thinks. Thanks so much for all of your suggestions and your kindness. I will keep you posted and will start doing the 1000-12000 calorie thing. Your right, I could be starving myself so to speak!

I eat alot less then her tho? And i didnt start working out til a week ago... is everyone that different? I can only eat like 2oz's 3x a day...

Hi Dee, I am a fellow July 08 bander. I think you posted back in July when we all started.

I agree with the unfill for you..I got filled and it was too tight and all I wanted was slider food.

And I just wanted to say that even though my wt loss shows 60+ pounds I have to tell you the band lifestyle alone would not do it for me.

I am a tough nut to crack.:)

You need some type of structure. Whatever you think you can do:

Calorie counting, watching fat, WW, whatever.

I can tell you that without weight watchers I would be doing EXACTLY what you posted.

Slider foods are going to kill ya.

1) Icecream, get rid of it.

2) Soups. Chuck em.

3) popcorn, chips, pretzels..are all awesome and going to make your life miserable.

Keep posting and let us know how you are coming along!

I think if you try to emphasize getting a certain amount of Protein, say 60-80grams a day, and only having 1200-1500 calories, you will find that you can really only eat the right things.

Hello, I'm a july bandster also. July 23, 08. I just wanted to write and say plz. make sure you try and keep your Doctor appt. Try not to be ashamed, your dr. wants you to succeed also. This is a learning process, every month something changes with my band, one month I have trouble eatting chicken and the next it might be salad that gives me problem. I myself have had troubles with slider food and at one time I wasnt losing much weight and found that it was my over drinking of OJ that was full of sugar and loaded with liquid cals. So i was eating well but messing myself up with drink too many cals. So if you dont mind me giving you some advice i would like to suggest a few things that might help. 1st. get a food log, log every single thing that goes into your month and I mean everything. You will be very surprised on just how many cals you are really taking in. Next make sure you make it to all of your appts. Next i know you said something about having pains during working out and I was the same way when I started out so plz. move more even if it is just sitting down and stretching out. get a rubber band and just move your arms more. Try to walk for 5 to 10 minutes a day but do it 5 to 6 times a day so you are getting in your 30 minutes moving but not all at one time. Moving and burning cals is so important. its not just what is going into you body but what you are burning. Next you are great! YOU ARE GREAT! and dont let anyones else make you feel bad about your progress. The road you decided to take is not the easy road that other might think it is, even thou we have the band we have to work just as hard as any other diet to make it work. If you need someone to talk to I and others are here for you so plz ask if you need a hand. so count your input, try to move more, hold your head up, no slider foods, use your dr., use your friends on LBT. Oh and I am a disabled Vet so I have limitation to what I could do at first but the more I walked and the more I moved the more easier it got to move more. I am doing yoga now and Im not walking for many miles but you would be surprised at how just leaning or holding a pose can make you sweat. Find that one thing you really like to do and do it. I hope i have helped a little and dont sound like i am crazy...lol...goood luck

Hey Dee,

I am a fellow July Bandit as well. I have struggled with my emotional eating which tends to trigger my eating of slider foods. I have even got on an ice cream kick as well. I just started going back to my basics to try to get off of the sugar and carbs that have gotten a hold of me lately.

I know you feel sad now but it will pass. You can do it.:)

As you can tell from the replies to your post we are all here to help. Just don't lose touch with your doctor. He/she can definetly help when you are struggling. And if you are relying on mostly slider foods than I agree you might be to tight.

Hang in there. As you can see all of us were banded in July and we have all had different experiences.