Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"THE VIEW" - August 16th weight loss special

:D

Hi all:

One of our fellow Bandsters, called me yesterday excited about an awesome and informative show on "The View" yesterday. There was some excellent information and the featured guest was Joy Bauer, who wrote several cookbooks and nutrition books, the latest being "Cooking with Joy". Read below what the show was about! She said it was EXCELLENT and wished she had taped it!!! Maybe we can catch the re-run.

The View

Tue., Aug. 16: "Weight Loss" special

Tuesday, August 16th

(Originally aired 6/20/05)

Today's show was all about getting in shape!

Since recent studies have expressed that eating dairy may actually help you lose weight, we recruited nutritionist Joy Bauer to explain exactly what that entails as well as to disclose other foods that also vow to assist in shedding those extra pounds. Below you will find a brief description of the topics discussed on this morning's program. For more nutritional advice, pick up a copy of Joy's latest book Cooking with Joy. This publication is now available through the ABC TV Store.

Fiber

Insoluble Fiber takes a longer time to chew and provides volume to food without adding a lot of calories.

All-Bran Cereal

Low-Carb bread

Wheat Bran

Soluble fiber helps to stabilize blood sugar levels, which ward off hunger and cravings.

Strawberries

Apples

Pears

Steel-cut oats oatmeal

Chickpeas

Black Beans

JUICY FOODS

Fruits and vegetables with a high Water content "built in" helps to fill you up resulting in eating less collectively throughout the day. Drinking straight Water separately does not have the same effect since it leaves the stomach more rapidly.

Watermelon

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Cucumbers

Mushrooms

Grapefruit

Cantaloupe

LEAN Proteins

Lean Proteins can slightly rev up your metabolism after ingestion. To calculate your daily personal requirements, multiply .50 x your body weight in pounds to find out how many grams your intake should be.

chicken breast

Canned light tuna

Shrimp cocktail

Turkey breast

Tofu

Turkey burgers

DAIRY

There is some evidence that ample dairy can help promote weight loss. Stick with low-fat or non-fat sources and reap the other benefits from Calcium as well, bone health, colon protection, alleviate menstrual cramps and help manage blood pressure.

Non-fat yogurt

Part skim string cheese

Skim milk

Low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese

Low-fat or fat-free cheese

SPICY FOODS

Capsaicin has been shown to increase fat oxidation. However, studies have yet to prove that hot spice can promote weight loss. On the other hand, studies have reported that people are often satisfied with less food when the meal is spicy hot. Plus, you automatically eat slower and drink more water.

Chili peppers, jalapenos

Habaneros

Hot salsa

Spicy vegetarian chili

Stir-fry veggies with chili peppers

DIET SODA

A study from The University of Texas has shown that people who drink diet soda are more likely to become obese because they are over compensating and give themselves permission to eat high caloric foods. Bottom line is you must be accountable for the calories you intake and drink water!

Next, Jorge Cruise, weight loss expert and author of The 3-Hour Diet, showed us how the things we do in our daily routines, such as brushing your teeth and going to the mall, can actually burn calories and help us lose weight. Below you will find a brief description of the topics discussed on this morning's program. For details on how to set your metabolism in motion and for a free weight-loss profile ($40 value), please visit 3hourdiet.net. Furthermore, The 3-Hour Diet is now available through the ABC TV Store.

The Ultimate Calorie Countdown

Brushing Your Teeth

2x a day = 46 calories = 322 calories per week

Getting Dressed

10 minutes of extreme activity = 100 calories maximum a day = 700 calories per week

Pushing a Stroller

Working with the stroller (i.e., opening, closing, picking up the baby) 3x a week for an hour = 1,800 calories per week

Sitting and Eating

If you eat 400 calories of food per meal you will burn 100 calories from chewing and digesting, 3 meals (at 400 calories each) and two Snacks (at 200 calories each) per day = 2,800 calories per week

HOUSEHOLD CHORES

Vacuuming

3x a week for 10 minutes sessions = 300 calories per week

Doing Laundry

Vigorous activity once a week = 600 calories per week

Cleaning House

Deep cleaning for an hour once a week = 600 calories per week

Grocery Shopping

Vigorous activity for an hour once a week = 600 calories per week

THINGS YOU DO FOR FUN

Playing with your Kids

3x a week for 30 minutes intervals = 1,400 calories per week

Sex

2x a week for 10 minutes = 200 calories per week

Shopping at the Mall

Actively moving around the mall once a week = 400 calories per week

THINGS YOU DO FOR EXERCISE

Swimming

Biking

Jumping Rope

Running

Pilates or Yoga

Weight Training

Each individual activity 3x a week at 30 minute intervals = 900 calories per week

Then we met two women, who each lost more than 130 pounds through weight loss surgery, who felt that while the physical results were what they expected the emotional results put a whole new weight on their shoulders.