Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery after lap band?

Has anyone had a surgery after having their lap band put in? I am facing shoulder surgery April 1st and I remember reading somewhere that if you were to have surgery you needed to drain the band. I just reached the sweet spot at 7 months post op and I am not going to drain my band. Has anyone had to do this and if so what happens afterwards? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Hi:

I had such issues with nausea when I got banded (dizzy and throwing up for 6 hours) that I decided to get unfilled prior to my gallbladder removal. The same doc that banded me did the gallbladder, so he just unfilled me before the surgery, and then I didn't even have any nausea issues. The day after my gallbladder removal I had someone drive me there and he put the Fluid back in. It was hard to lay back on the table to get refilled, but I'm glad I did it. My doc said that I probably handled the nausea better because I'd lost over 100 pounds between surgeries and anesthesia is absorbed in fat cells. So because of losing so much fat it made it easier.

Best wishes to you.

Sue

I am just leary because my band Dr. is so weird about not putting too much Fluid in at a time that I can't see her putting back 9.3 cc's all at once.

Thanks for your story of your experience!

Call and ask your surgeon. I was huge when banded and didn't have any nausea at all...it's very individual and depends on anesthesia used etc. (I've never been one to get nauseated and vomit...whereas my sister could conjure it up just by thinking about it. Weird) anyway...

see what your surgeon says. I'd think that getting an unfill wouldn't be a requirement, depending on what type of surgery....but your surgeon will know for sure.

IF she wants you to be unfilled, make sure she agrees to refill you to your current level quickly! :wink:

I had a laparoscopy mid last year and i didnt have the Fluid removed from my band. My doc said he didnt think it would be necessary (I seem to be pretty stable and have few problems with getting tight and loose and I never get nauseous after an anaesthetic) but he's only a couple of suburbs away and I could easily get to him for an unfill if I needed.

As it was, even though my abdomen was blown up with gas, I noticed no effects, I was very unhungry for 2 or 3 days as you are after a general anaesthetic and by the time I wanted to eat again, it was back to normal.

BUT - my doc is close, its no effort to get to him and costs me absolutely nothing. If my doc was down in Mexico or a few states away and it was going to cosst $800 for an unfill like it appears to be for many of you guys, I'd unfill for sure.

I had a hysterectomy in December. Neither my band surgeon nor my gynecologist thought I needed an unfill. I wish I would have had one though. My stomach is very sensitive to fills, and I became too tight after the surgery and was uncomfortable with it for about a month. I didn't want an unfill after, though, because I had a new incision really close to the port and I didn't want to be poked there. Unless they recommend it in your case, I probably wouldn't do the unfill. They are operating on the shoulder, so if you are having problems afterwards, an unfill wouldn't be difficult to get if you need it.

If you are a puker..then maybe...

Otherwise..don't do it. You have are in a good spot.

I just had my gallbladder removed 15 days ago and the surgeon said that there was no reason to remove my fills.

I got liquid roxecet for the pain (oxicodone and extra strength Tylenol)

I was happy as a clam and now am clicking along feeling super!