Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Broken/cracked band-won't hold saline

Anyone else out there experience this? I was self pay and had to pay again to have the defective band replaced. :thumbup: :tt2: Any others out there. :tongue:

I'm sorry about your defective band. How long have you had it? I haven't heard of this happening, but I'm self-pay too, and it was one of my worries.

I would think the the manufacturer of the band offers some type of warranty or guarantee for the band. My first step, before I paid anymore for something defective, would be to contact your state consumer protection agency. They could give you more info and direct you as to what to do. Or your could contact a lawyer who specializes in defective products. It's not too late even if you already paid. You can seek to get that money back. If I were you, I would not accept this. You can bet that if insurance paid for this they would be taking legal action against the manufacturer if they had to pay for a replacement.

I too was self pay, I was offered a package to pay an extra 900.00 to cover all expenses if my band needs replaced, for 18 months..If anything goes wrong, they say it's gonna happen within the first year..I'm sure there are exceptions to that though..

if u charged it with visa/mc, do a charge back. not as advertised

I have heard of occasional leaks in bands prior to adjustment (fills)---and contacting Inamed/Allergan---it was replaced at no charge, now whether your surgeon charges to do his/her part is a whole different story. But if the band is defective, as opposed to say being poked with a needle during a fill, the company will stand behind it usually. Did you contact them?

I was banded in MX---but was given the ID # to my band, the box it come in, all the info regarding it, in case I had issue with it. Even my lapband card I carry in my wallet has the band ID# on it.

I would contact the manufacturer, and then discuss it with them, then my Dr.

Good Luck!

I have had my band 1 year and never lost more then five pounds. Dr Scott Laker just informed me it is leaking (broken) and that I would have to pay for another surgery to fix this. Another $10,000 down the drain. I too was a cash patient and I have no more cash. At $150.00 per fill and I had 10 fills $1500.00. for a five pound loss. I am devistated, why would I pay more out to fix this???? Harper Hospital, Dr. Laker, Lap-band, someone else should be held accountable!

Lap-band say's it is an assumed risk you take when you have the surgery!

I personally know someone who contacted the maker of her band, and was not given the run around, they stood behind the product. You should have a serial # and all info regarding your band when you call the company.

Inamed was involved when the girl I knew dealt with it.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice, had my Lawyer look at everything, but because lap band list this as a risk at the web page they no longer have to do anything. Trust me, I would not miss inform anyone if I have not already requested such a thing and have been turned down!

thankfully here our medical system is such that if that happens, the band will be replaced and insurance will cover the cost.

My surgeon made clear to me the fact that although you wouldnt expect this to happen for a long time, in the region of 20 years or so bands ARE going to fail and have to be replaced.

My band is a year old, I had it done in Michigan at Harper hospital, and my Blue Care Network Insurance will NOT pay to fix this break. I wish I lived Down under!