Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you take for cramps?

Sorry if this is TMI but I have to ask! I have PCOS and I'm on birth control so I only get a period 4 times a year. I also have endometriosis. I get hideous cramps to the point where I'm completely laid out. I double over in pain, etc. The only thing that took the edge off was a lot of NSAIDs, mainly diclofenac and 800mg of ibuprofen. Now that I'm banded I obviously can't take these medications and I'm scared of what the first period is going to bring. Tylenol, midol, and other products that aren't NSAID's do NOT touch the pain at all. For those of you who have PCOS and bad cramps and everything, what do you take for the pain now that you're banded?

I don't have PCOS, but I do get horrible cramps, where I'm doubled over in pain. My doctor has prescribed tylenol with codeine. I didn't think it would work, but it actually does alleviate the pain.

Hello, I was just like you with awful cramps with PCOS and endometriosis. I was amazed after losing weight, I no longer have the pain anymore and my cycles are completely normal now. I was also on birth control and NSAIDS and wasn't sure how I was going to go through it without them. I'm off of everything now. Hopefully you will also get to a point that you can be pain free. Good Luck!

I'm hoping the weight loss relieves some of it too. Although, I'm not confident that it will. Every female in my family thin or fat has these problems. I'm cursed!

hi angel, i've got PCOS and get very bad cramps too. most things don't work for me, but i've found recently that those gas x strips relieve some the pressure. the pain doesn't really go away, but it's a bit more tolerable. of course, the standard hot Water bottle and chocolate help too. i really wish there was away to make this torture disappear for good. i hope the band helps this!!!

sorry i can't be of more help :thumbup:

Ask your dr about a prescription drug called Ponstel...It worked for me when I got cramps and now my daughter uses it for hers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mefenamic_acid

Edited by slowmover54
misspelled word

Ask your dr about a prescription drug called Ponstel...It worked for me when I got cramps and now my daughter uses it for hers.

Mefenamic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your doc doesn't have any problems with you taking this because it's an NSAID? I'll check with my surgeon because if it works and it's allowed I'll definitely try it if I can get it.

OOOPS! You may be right, I took it yrs before I had my lapband, but defineately ask the dr. Worth a try, for sure.

Sorry 'bout that, good luck...Joanie :thumbup:)