Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss slowing...trying to stay motivated

well...i am 2 1/2 months post surgery (12/10/08)....and i am continuing to lose weight it is just at a slow pace now....about 1 to 1.5 pounds a week.

i know it is normal to lose 1-2 pounds a week, but after the fast weight loss in the beginning it is getting hard for me to stay motivated. when the results were bigger i felt much better about myself, and it was easier for me to stick to the diet.

i keep telling myself i will be so happy when i get below 200....only 8ish pounds more to go...but i find myself wanting to cheat on the diet more.

anyone have any advice to stay motivated???

well...i am 2 1/2 months post surgery (12/10/08)....and i am continuing to lose weight it is just at a slow pace now....about 1 to 1.5 pounds a week.

i know it is normal to lose 1-2 pounds a week, but after the fast weight loss in the beginning it is getting hard for me to stay motivated. when the results were bigger i felt much better about myself, and it was easier for me to stick to the diet.

i keep telling myself i will be so happy when i get below 200....only 8ish pounds more to go...but i find myself wanting to cheat on the diet more.

anyone have any advice to stay motivated???

Agentcmc,

We are totally in the same boat.Although I had surgery about one month before you.My weightloss was extremely quick in the beginning and now has come to almost a halt.

I too am struggling with motivation and feeling kinda lost.Those old habits die hard & sure want to creep back in.I'm been thinking pretty seriously about joining weight watchers just to have a way of tracking my food intake & that way I can take more responsiblilty for my not losing.

Hang in there! Your not alone!! :)

Why not focus on something other than weight loss? Set yourself a goal like to complete a fun run or something, whatever it is that rocks your boat, to provide some external motivation.

I absolutely believe I was successful with weight loss this time round not only because of the band but becuase I found this love for running and a lot of my focus was taken up with achieving THOSE goals, so that weight loss became secondary. Because I was a slow loser, there were many many weeks where I didnt lose.

Don't lose motivation! I was banded in October and understand how thrilling it is to lose weight in the beginning. Yes, the weight loss slows down (sometimes it even halts!) but you have to keep it up.

A couple of things -

Do you find yourself wanting to cheat because you are hungry? Could you need a fill?

Are you eating enough QUALITY food? Lean proteins/veggies/fruit

Are you exercising? If not, start with something easy - walking, Water aerobics, swimming etc. If you are already exercising, try increasing the intensity of your workout. I was stuck at a certain weight for about 3 weeks and increased the intensity (would do 30 second sprints w/30 seconds recovery time for 15 minutes of my 30 - 45 minute cardio workout) of my cardio workout and bam the scale started moving. You can also try a new form of exercise.

Most importantly, don't start cheating...that is one sure way that you will not lose weight and the cycle will begin.

I agree about finding motivation other than just the scale by setting exercise goals or something else. It is jut hard to stay focused after a certain amount of time.

I also slowed down a couple of months out, but kept to the plan even though motivation was lagging. I lost slowly, but steadily, all the way to goal. The trick for me was to find other activities to replace the "diet/banding/scale" focus.

The first 6 months weight comes off with exercise and diet. I'm into 11 months and only loose a pound a month now. I even gained 2 pounds but lost it before it got out of hand. I have to change my routine and mix up my workouts now. buts its a life change, and takes time. you have done really well.

I am in the same boat.

I got spoiled by losing 8-12 lbs a month at the beginning. Now I'm down to 1 lb/wk and am trying to find new ways of staying motivated as well.

First of all, I'm swearing off the scale. It is now to be used at dr appts only! I put too much pressure on myself by stepping on it far too often.

I'm still trying to figure out what the other motivation will be. I'm thinking the fact that my parents are leaving for a month - I'd like to have them see a difference when they get back - might be one. Another might be the use of the bike I bought.

Hope you figure it out. Just know you're obviously not alone!

I am six months out now and I am in the same position. I have been stagnant in my wieght loss for about 2 months now. Recently I tried to step up my exercise and I hope that works. I got to get back on track and start loosing again. I need to stay off the scale except for once a week also. I find that very hard to do. Good luck to all of you.

thanks for the advice...i really do need to find something else to focus on. i know i weigh myself waaaaay to often.

the reason i find myself wanting to cheat is when i am out or at a work sponsored lunch and they have such tasty things like cheesecake and Cookies. its not that im necessarily hungry...its cause i dont have those things at home so when work provides lunch and the stuff is there i want to go crazy.

usually i try to just have a small portion of the dessert so i dont binge later....but i must admit i dont have the best will power.

still trying....it can be hard sometimes. i know you all understand!

I know it is hard to stay motivated. I work with people who are always having lunchens and pot lucks. It is so hard watching people eat and smelling the food but I try to remember my goal. My hardest times are when I am off and have access to food all day at home. I am going to try to stay busy and not think about eating. Hopefully the weather will get better and I will be out on my days off more. I am going to the beach in April and want to loose a few more pounds before that.