Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor Need a buddy/mentor please!

Hi! I'm a 31 year old, married female from Ohio, who works in IT. I have 115 pounds to lose and am scheduled for LB surgery on 3/16. Anyone care to adopt me? :)

Hello, I'm new to this forum and would really like to find a buddy/mentor.

I am a 26 year old female, 5' 6". I weigh 220 lbs and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2yrs ago. I'm no stranger to hard workouts but I've always struggled with my weight.

Anyone interested?

I would love to be your buddy, but not sure how much I can offer as a mentor, since I'm a newby too. Hopefully we can find a mentor here as well, but certainly feel free to contact me if I can help in any way.

Hi LapLady09!

I am also from Ohio and am actually getting my band on 3/9 by Dr. Curry! I finished my nutrition class last week and start my preop diet on 3/2.

I am 35 years old and live in Columbus. I am looking to lose about 80 lbs. I would love to be buddies if you are interested...:)

Hey! I am having lapband on march 19. I started the liquid diet today....i know you are probably looking for a buddy that has had it, but it could be cool to go through it with someone close to your banding date! Let me know!!

Hi -I am 32 years old and had Lapband surgery 10/2007. I have lost a total of 105 pounds and have about 40 left to lose. I have had about 8 fills total and 1 small unfill. I recently had a 2nd very minor surgery 2 weeks ago to replace my port with a low profile port b/c I have lost so much weight you could see a slight bump ( don't let me scare you). To me I feel Lapband was a lifesaver. There are definite challenges but remember the postive outweighs the challenge. This is such a learning process and even now I am still learning. I am open to help if anyone has any questions or needs support. Support is the best thing you can get through this process. Good luck to all :wink:

Hi, I'm a 35-year-old mom and teacher from Northern Illinois. I was banded on 3-23 in Harvard, IL, and will be doing follow-up appointments with Dr. McClellan at Mercy in Harvard.

I have been married for 12 years, and have 6-year-old twins, a boy and a girl, who are in kindergarten this year.

I currently weigh 238 lb.s, and, although I haven't set my goal weight yet, I'd like to lose at least 75 pounds.

I have my first fill appointment next Thursday afternoon, and I'm a little nervous.

I would love a mentor/buddy that I could talk to and ask some of the odd questions that pop into my head.

Thanks!

Kelley

The best suggestion I was given was by my surgeon. Do not pick a goal weight, instead pick small milestones. That has truly worked for me. My personal goal was to get under the next 10. So for example going from 220 and then hitting 219 was huge. Every 10 pounds I felt like I had accomplished something huge. To be honest before the band I always felt so overwhelmed by the large amount of weight I needed to lose and somehow got very lost along the way. I had trouble seeing the end of the rainbow. Now with the band (losing steady) the small goals are not overwhelming b/c I can reach them :confused:

Don't be nervous about the fill. The doctor will offer you numbing medication before giving you the fill. I personally hate needles so I do not get the numbing meds because it means 2 needles instead of 1. The doctor will make you do a slight crunch to tighten your stomach muscle which helps find the port & then put the needle in. You will feel a little pressure for about 1 second as the needle enters the port & really then feel nothing after that. Within a few hours you will feel a little tightness in the band area & within a day or two (for me) the tighness goes away.

If you have any questions please ask..... I am very open and will answer any questions you may have.

Wow, Beedje - what a great testimony! I'm so excited and encouraged by your weight loss! What great advice do you have for us? I know...be patient...LOL. How many fats/carbs/protein do you target per day? What is your exercise routine? What was the timeline of your loss? Any suggestions or tips? BTW, I'm terrified of needles too! How long is the needle in there? I'm honestly more afraid of the fills than the surgery. LOL.

KelleyMarie - Teacher with twins - sign of an amazing woman! :scared2: I'll PM you my contact info so we can keep in touch!

I'm looking for a buddie. Hopefully, someone who has a band date close to mine 04/14/09. I'm a 40 yr old, insurance adjuster in the DFW Texas area. Maybe we can go through this "together". :welldoneclap:

OK- for those who want to know. It has taken me 17 months to lose 106 pounds. I eat between 50-70 grams of Protein a day but if I can't eat that in food I do supplement with a Protein shake. My carbs are very low b/c I really only get carbs from veggies, crackers & maybe potato. I am someone who can not eat rice/pasta/bread. In the beginning I went to the gym 2-3 days a week and just walked on the treadmill. Overtime I started really enjoying working out & now I work out 5-6 days a week taking classes from Zumba to step aerobics to Spin. I now have a personal trainer b/c I needed to really start building muscle up and I have been training to run Bay to Breakers in San Francisco about 8 miles. (this is a personal goal I made for myself a year ago when I could only walk it)

The needle isn't bad and because you are lying down you won't see it. I am very lucky.... my doctor is very funny and talks to me the entire time so I really am not paying attention to the needle. Honestly I don't even notice it but everyone is different. I felt the same way, very nervous about the fills. After my 1st one I realized there was nothing to worry about.

I hope everyone has a great BAND week. Focus on one thing this week. Like maybe walking a few days or getting in your 64 ounces of Water. GOOD LUCK :0)

Edited by Beedje

Beedje

I'm so glad to see you're offering support. I could really use some. I am a year and 3 1/2 months out. I am stuck at the same weight for at least 2 months and I'm anxious because from what I know, banders usually lose all their weight the first 18 months and I'm nearing that time and am stuck. I've lost 94 lbs and my statistics are very close to yours. Congratulations on the 100 lb mark, that is so great. But I'm sure it wasn't easy. None of this is easy. I still have problems with eating slow and chewing chewing chewing. Thanks for any support you can give.