Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else hit a "Brick Wall" in their weight loss?

On 2/4 I went for a weigh-in and fill and was weighed at 243 and change.

Since then I have changed NOTHING, but yet I have been bouncing up and down between 243 and 245. It's like I've hit a brick wall that I can't get past!

Oddly enough, a few years ago I was prescribed Phentermine by my doctor. He will give it to you for 6 months on, 6 months off and then you can start again. During that time I dropped to 245 and after a few months and wasn't able to get any lower after having taken it for a few months after that.

It's like the 245 area is a built-in barrier that my body has to work to get past.

So, my question is - is this "Brick Wall" that I've hit somewhat common? Anyone else on this forum experiencing something like this?

I've hit hurdles in my loss to get where I am now, but the longest they lasted was a week. This is almost 20 days now and I'm getting a little concerned!

Looking forward to hearing back from anyone/everyone!

Edited by JWhipple

If this is my maximum weight loss, something is seriously wrong, because I am still at 37 BMI!

I hope this isn't the case - I didn't shell out $16k just to lose 30 some-odd pounds!

Interestingly, my major plateaus on the way down were all the weights I'd held for long times on the way up. I stuck at 101kg, 97kg, 92kg, 84 kg and 78 kg for long periods of time. There were all weights I'd weighed for a year or so over a period of a decade.

I got past them in the end not by changing anything but just by being consistent (and patient, lol).

My current weight I consider more a plateau than goal, lol, I wanted to be about 6kg lighter than this. But I've been here 18 months, so I have to consider it maxed out weight loss, thankfully it happened at a BMI of 22 for me, and not 37. I seriously doubt you're maxed out at 37 though. Just hang in there, it will move eventually.

Edited by Jachut

Hey JWhipple,

I recently hit a mean one month plateau too. I couln't get down from 234 lbs. I was working out and doing all my cardio and eating all my Protein. What I noticed is that I wasn't really eating enough carbs and not getting the recommended 8 hrs night sleep. Now I am eating 4 times a day and sleeping AT LEAST 8 hrs and that seemed to do the trick. This month I finally lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks. I know the body naturally keeps us in plateaus until it gets used to the new weight and changes but this is what worked for me personally. Good luck! You're doing great :smile:

Banding date - 20 DEC 2008

Starting Weight - 257.0 lbs

My Banding Weight - 244.0 lbs

My Current Weight - 226.6 lbs

I hate to think of it this way, but it tooks years of endulgance to get me to 295, it will take years of "suffering" to get back down to 150. It is hard for me because when I was in high school I went from 205 to 145 in 6 months, with a dietrician, my mother cooking, and my vollyball coach running my ass off.

I guess I expected that I am so fat now that the weight will just melt off. And it did at first. I went from 295 at the start of my two week liquid pre-op diet to 265 one month post op. I thought it would stay like that. Ha! It has slowed way down- and I am trying to adjust. It is hard. I didn't even loose a whole pound this week. It gets slower and slower...It is scary.

This is either a brick wall or "bandster hell", as some would say. I've lost and regained the same 3 pounds over and over again and can't seem to get past it. I feel no restriction most of the time and stay hungry. I've scheduled another fill, as I must not be at that "sweet spot" everyone raves about. I'll sure be glad to finally reach that point, the very reason we had surgery to begin with. If I could have done it without the band, I would have, because God knows I tried. We've just got to keep the faith, and keep going for those fills.

Even though I haven't had any of the "classic" over-filled symptoms, I can't help but think that maybe I am over-filled. This all started literally the day that I got my last fill.

I have a regular fill appointment on Wednesday - I am going to see what the doc says.

It is easy to get frustrated with weight loss stalls. The best we all can do is keep doing the things we are suppose to do, call our docs and nuts if we have questions and of course support each other through these stalls.

I'm reading many things about "kick starting" weight loss. If anyone has tried or is trying any of these ideas that have been posted throughout the board, it would be helpful to everyone else to see what is working and what isn't.

I just read that someone who didn't drink enough Water during the day stalled some and after they increased their Water to 64oz+ things were back on a roll.

I think, as bandsters, we will all continue to loose weight over the first year and even beyond. The average 3 lbs per week is an average of all the totals for a year. In that would be, I'm guessing, weeks of no loss, weeks of gaining a few pounds and weeks of loosing a large amount.

I am doing measurements as well as weight tracking and that helps me see that i'm loosing size and weight.

But then whatever gets us through the day!

On 2/4 I went for a weigh-in and fill and was weighed at 243 and change.

Since then I have changed NOTHING, but yet I have been bouncing up and down between 243 and 245. It's like I've hit a brick wall that I can't get past!

Oddly enough, a few years ago I was prescribed Phentermine by my doctor. He will give it to you for 6 months on, 6 months off and then you can start again. During that time I dropped to 245 and after a few months and wasn't able to get any lower after having taken it for a few months after that.

It's like the 245 area is a built-in barrier that my body has to work to get past.

So, my question is - is this "Brick Wall" that I've hit somewhat common? Anyone else on this forum experiencing something like this?

I've hit hurdles in my loss to get where I am now, but the longest they lasted was a week. This is almost 20 days now and I'm getting a little concerned!

Looking forward to hearing back from anyone/everyone!

hi, i too have hit a birck wall. i was banded in 96. started at 235 went down to 168 and have struggled back and forth between 175 to 185 for the last year. i cheated and ate easy foods like junk and icecream but every effort to get back down keeps me between these ten pounds. i am trying seattle sutton for a week; only eating half the meals at a time. how is your problem going? janet