Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks since surgery

Please help

Feb 16,09

Yogurt

Fruit20

Special Soup

SF Jello

SF pudding

Protein shake

Water 60oz Cals Fat Protein

total 990 19.4 133

Feb 17, 09

decf coffee

yogurt

beef barley Soup

chicken noodle soup

SF Jello

SF pudding

Water 64oz Cals Fat Protein

total 1065 13 71

Feb18, 09

Yogurt

dcf coffee

fruit20

cyto protein

soup

SF jello

water 48oz Cals Fat Protein

total 710 4 76

Feb19

Yogurt

SF pudding

Sf jello

Chix broth

Chix &wildrice soup

minute maid lemonade SF

Isopure

water 64oz Cals Fat Protein

total 740 13 78

Feb 20,09 (first day off liquid diet)

Yogurt

dcf coffee

Kefir

cauliflower soup

Chix gumbo

bake potato

Light tuna

total 1463 27 95

Feb 21, 09

Broiled cod

cottage cheese

dcf coffee

cr chix soup

baby foo green Beans (yuk)

pizza VEG

pizza SAUSAGE

WINE 5 glasses

water 40oz Cals Fat Protein

total 1237 26.8 68

Wow I've got questions for ya Firday was 2 weeks since surgery

If you look at my food journal you'll see what I find amazing. I started mushies on Friday and this weekend I ate canned venison, pizza,broiled cod,cheese and venison sausage. I don't think of these as mushies. Had no problems eating them though.

I drank 5 glasses of wine on Saturday night at party with past co-workers. I know that wasn't smart.

Also cals are way up to about 1400 day. Is this acceptable?

What are mushies?

Could I have damaged anything? I don't think so, and feel good.

What should one be consuming 2 weeks after surgery?

As far as streghting my pouch shouldn't I have thrown up because of over stuffing?

Did I over stuff?

Any advice please

Bearbelly

Mushies are anything that is mushy, kind of like baby food. So, unless you put that pizza through a blender or food processor, you aren't following your diet. I think they require us to move into foods slowly so the churning of the stomach doesn't begin all of a sudden. It allows the sutures holding the band in place to heal. You may want to back off and start you mushy stage again. I ate tuna salad, chicken salad, chili and refried Beans with cheese and ff sour cream. For the tuna and chicken salad, I made it in the food processor. Also anything cooked like Soup, stew or even spaghetti with meat can be eaten as long as it is mushed up. You get the flavor, so it still tastes good.

I consistantlly eat 1200-1500 calories per day. I have been losing about 10lbs per month, which I am happy with. It isn't the calories that is the problem, but you should get back to the proper diet for now, to be sure you are letting your stomach heal. You shouldn't be eating more than 1/2-3/4 cup of food at each sitting at this point, so keeping the calories less than 1200 shouldn't be a problem. The wine I won't revisit since you already acknowledged it wasn't good. We are human and make mistakes. Start back over and do it right. It isn't easy, but it is worth it. Good luck!

At 2 weeks post op, the first thing I see is the Baked potato. A lot of drs are different. We were given specific instructions on how to eat and what to eat. first 2 weeks clear and full liquids, weeks 3 &4, High Protein foods Puree'd, nothin gstringly, plenty of fluids, 80 oz.plus Protein Shakes, protein up around 60-90. EVERy DAY. No white carbs, no pizza, not even WW bread It took me about 7 months before I was brave enough to eat Pzza topping. Tried WW bread at 6 months, paid dearly for that. 6 hrs stuck. Contact your nutritionist, get suggestions. You are still in the healing stages. You now have a band around the stomach. heal and let the stitches set, walk and learn how to make menus during this time. Not to mention the 5 glasses of wine. I bet that blew you away , not having any solids to soak up that alcohol. Dont get me wrong, I like to splurge as well. I had to fight to get this band and I think that nothing taste as good as thin feels. I am 14 months out, down to a size 6/8 and I did not get here by eating like a normal person. l have had lots of temptations. and some I have given into. You need to get things in order if you are going to make this band help you lose any weight at a steady rate. Take this time slowly, make menus , learn how to eat slowly, lean how to eat good healthy foods. It's a tool, not a miracle. I am at the gym 5x week, walk 4 miles 7 x week , muscle is the name of the game. If you are not moving, you're not losing. Use that energy. Good luck.

First of all, you are doing the right thing in tracking what you eat. It is so much easier to diagnose what is going on when you have honest information to work with.

I agree, baby food green Beans would be a double yuck, lol. I can't do baby food.

It sounds like you may not be going "mushy" enough on this phase of your diet. Liquid portions were fine but you have to be careful about progressing too quickly. pizza is definitely not mushy and the crust is a problem. Baked potato might be OK if you don't eat the skin and maybe mix a little milk in it to make it a bit creamier. You want to watch the size of the "chunks" in the chicken gumbo. chicken is hard on bandsters stomachs early on and one of the things that give bandsters the most problems with pb'ing.

As far as calories, you were probably not getting enough during the liquid phase but this is normal, but I was also very low calorie during liquids. Getting close to 1500 calories might be taking it a little too high if you do it on a regular basis. Everyone is different, but I found for me ranging from 950 - 1250 kept me losing fairly steadily.

My responses are in red and I will warn you now you may not like what i say but its not sugar coated, It does you as a newbie no good to sugar coat things. I told you what i believe you need to hear as it is the truth.I believe you are playing with or starting to play with fire . You need to stop at this moment and get in touch with your doc before your not following docs orders goes any further and you DO cause damage to your band. do not flame me anyone for being "mean" Its not mean its saying it like it is .

Please help

Feb 16,09

Yogurt

Fruit20

Special Soup

SF Jello

SF pudding

Protein shake

Water 60oz Cals Fat Protein

total 990 19.4 133

That day looks like a good day

Feb 17, 09

decf coffee

yogurt

beef barley soup

chicken noodle soup

SF Jello

SF pudding

Water 64oz Cals Fat Protein

total 1065 13 71

Good day

Feb18, 09

Yogurt

dcf coffee

fruit20

cyto protein

soup

SF jello

total 710 4 76

Probably a little low on calories maybe ? But at first it can be a little tough working your caloires up so it can take some practice.

Feb19

Yogurt

SF pudding

Sf jello

Chix broth

Chix &wildrice soup *not mushies*

minute maid lemonade SF

Isopure

water 64oz Cals Fat Protein

total 740 13 78

Again a little low on cals .

Feb 20,09 (first day off liquid diet)

Yogurt

dcf coffee

Kefir

cauliflower soup *probably not a mushie *

Chix gumbo *not mushies*

bake potato *could go either way depends on doc

Light tuna *not considered mushies usually *

total 1463 27 95

Little high on calories low on water

Feb 21, 09

Broiled cod *Not usually considered mushies*

cottage cheese *Not usually considered mushies $

dcf coffee

cr chix soup

baby foo green Beans (yuk)

pizza VEG *NOT Mushies*

pizza SAUSAGE *NOT mushies*

WINE 5 glasses *Not the best i would say *

water 40oz Cals Fat Protein

total 1237 26.8 68

Maybe a little high ? depends

Wow I've got questions for ya Firday was 2 weeks since surgery

If you look at my food journal you'll see what I find amazing. I started mushies on Friday and this weekend I ate canned venison, pizza,broiled cod,cheese and venison sausage. I don't think of these as mushies. Had no problems eating them though.

The reason docs want you to start slowly on solids is in order to allow your stomach to heal. Weather or not you have "issues' with eating this the point is your not suppose to be eating this for a reason . the reason is the first 6 weeks post op is for HEALING , your stomach is not suppose to be workign too soon in order to form scar tissue around your stomach . So you dont "really" know if you had issues eating them or not . They may have gone down "Fine" but the point is your stomach is not suppose to be working yet .

I drank 5 glasses of wine on Saturday night at party with past co-workers. I know that wasn't smart.

you know it was not smart so I would advice you to follow your own advice and not do it again .

Also cals are way up to about 1400 day. Is this acceptable?

You need to ask your doctor that question, how many calories you should be getting at this point. I would suspect no though.

What are mushies?

that again is a question for your doc. different doc have different verisons but generally speaking pizza is not one of them and if you have a question about that i would suggest asking BEFORE you eat it .

Could I have damaged anything? I don't think so, and feel good.

Could you have ? In all honesty Yes you could have.

doctors orders are there for a reason . To allow your stomach to heal to ensure a long life for your band. This close to post op in my opinion its not "cheating" its not following doctors orders. Did you harm something ? I dont know . The fact that you feel fine now honestly is of no determination weather you damaged it now or not. You may not know until later.

But the honest answer is yes you COULD have .

What should one be consuming 2 weeks after surgery?

That is somemthing you need to ask your doctor and you should before anything else goes in your mouth . Did your doc not give you guidleines of what you shoudl have the next 6 weeks after you left the hospital ?

As far as streghting my pouch shouldn't I have thrown up because of over stuffing?

NO , you may not have 'over stuffed' You have no restriction right now .

Did I over stuff?

Who knows ?

Any advice please

My advice you need to inform your doctor of what you have been eating. Follow it to a T from this point forward , if you do not think you can do that i would suggest some conseling.

Mindy

coltonwade: seems a little rough but most likely needed. I hope to have the strenght to follow thru with all the instructions but I will have a support group with my wife a daughter which will keep me in line. I still have a week before I am banded and have been staying on my liquid diet just fine. In fact I started the liquid diet almost of a week early to get my liver smaller. I also stopped drinking Scotch about two weeks prior to that. So I think when I get thru the 4-6 weeks post op I will really enjoy my two bites of Steak.

coltonwade: seems a little rough but most likely needed. I hope to have the strenght to follow thru with all the instructions but I will have a support group with my wife a daughter which will keep me in line. I still have a week before I am banded and have been staying on my liquid diet just fine. In fact I started the liquid diet almost of a week early to get my liver smaller. I also stopped drinking Scotch about two weeks prior to that. So I think when I get thru the 4-6 weeks post op I will really enjoy my two bites of Steak.

I honestly do not mean to be rough . However i dont see what good it does to be "Sweet" either. ya know ?

Some of the best advice i can give you is any "Vices" you have that you can give up BEFORE surgery , the better in my opinion.

Also the pre op diet is harder to stick to than the post op in MHO. Its easier post op casue you have the "fear" factor , or at least i did .

Look the fact is , this can be done , its done every day .

You have to commit to following docs orders. And I will be the first to tell you I HAVE NO WILL POWER ! Honestly . SO If i can do it anyone can . Its 6 weeks of limisted food, to ensure the saftey of your band and then the rest of your life of health !

mindy