Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First time trying papaya enzyme

I went out to dinnner yesterday, had salmon but ended up sliming anyways. I was very uncomfortable leaving the restaurant. I asked my husband to stop at the local health food store so that I could buy some papaya enzyme pills. I read on lapbandtalk.com that people have been helped by it. I just wanted to report that it worked great! The directions were to swallow or chew 3 (small) pills. I chewed them. They actually tasted like papaya. Within about 3 minutes, I felt the pain ease and I was much more comfortable! I'm so excited about this. The pills were relatively inexpensive. The small bottle was $4.00 for 100 pills.

Just wanted to encourage anyone else who has not tried this. I hope it helps you in the same way it helped me.

Marie, I'm a believer in them too. That was great that you were able to buy some fast enough to give you relief. As you mentioned, they're very inexpensive, and seem very benign, so I think it's a great idea to have them on hand before you get in trouble. The first time I tried them, I was skeptical, but boy, they did the trick. I'm sure they were why I didn't have a PB, which I'm very grateful. Mine are papaya/pineapple extract chewables, and they have a very good flavor too.

I don't understand sliming but it sounds like whats happening to me? Dr said papaya pill and or aloe juice to help the digestive system but the pain and puking has got to go can't do this much longer?????????

I've never heard of these !! So, they help stop the slime? Help clear the blockage? WHAT ! LOL I'm excited to hear there may be something for me to try ...

Details, please!

Thanks

According to the bottle I have, they help with digestion. I think I read that they're good for people who are eating a high Protein diet because they help break down the protein in meats. I wouldn't use them unless I felt like my food was starting to get stuck because the slower the food breaks down naturally, the better, I would think. However, in those times when I've felt like things weren't working just right, they seem to do the trick.

I bought mine at Trader Joes, but others have found them at Vitamin shops, and you can find them online.

Hi All!

I use these because they are easy to carry with me. The papaya enzyme pills (chewable) have worked both ways for me- sometimes they help it "all go down" and sometimes they help me throw it up (which at the time is a great relief!). I keep these with me for any meal & don't need to use them very often but they work great! Another thing I've used but isn't as handy is pineapple juice. good luck!

Banded 12/20/07

lost 105

I've tried them before but they don't seem to work for me. Maybe I'm not using them correctly or waiting too long before I take them. After reading this thread, I realize maybe I should try them again. I wanted to also share that if any of you are throwing up too much, your band may be too tight and you need to have an unfill. I had one a week or so ago and feel much relief. I was getting a sour stomach after eating and throwing up too much. My doctor said my band was too tight.

They are really cheap at Walmart too. I keep them in my purse in a different smaller bottle and they are a life saver the few times I have had to use them. They taste good too!

I got these the other day too after I had the worst stick ever. I was stuck for 55 minutes before it went down and it was horrible. After that I went right to Walmart and these pills are wonderful. They help me everytime i get stuck and I have them with me everywhere now.

Can you please tell me how you take them? I have had them for some time and they don't seem to work for me. Maybe I wait too long before I take them. Do you chew or swallow the tablets? I'm missing the boat on this and would really like to figure out how to use them correctly. I bought mine at Trader Joes. I don't know if you have that store by you or not. I also heard about unsweetened pineapple juice when you get stuck. I appreciate your feedback. I carry them in my purse and have used them several times. I end up throwing up the stuck food along with the tablets. Its very gross but they come up undigested as well as with the food.

Can you please tell me how you take them? I have had them for some time and they don't seem to work for me. Maybe I wait too long before I take them. Do you chew or swallow the tablets? I'm missing the boat on this and would really like to figure out how to use them correctly. I bought mine at Trader Joes. I don't know if you have that store by you or not. I also heard about unsweetened pineapple juice when you get stuck. I appreciate your feedback. I carry them in my purse and have used them several times. I end up throwing up the stuck food along with the tablets. Its very gross but they come up undigested as well as with the food.
I chew 3 tablets when I take them. It seems to work when Protein is stuck, not when I get stuck on bread. Which would make sense because the enzymes are supposed to break down protein. Last night I had some leftover tilapia fish and after about 5 minutes of pain, I thought I was not going to get better on my own so I chewed 3 pills. Within about 3 or 4 minutes, I felt the pressure release in my chest and I felt much better. Let me know if chewing the pills helps you out. Good luck.

I've tried them before but they don't seem to work for me. Maybe I'm not using them correctly or waiting too long before I take them. After reading this thread, I realize maybe I should try them again. I wanted to also share that if any of you are throwing up too much, your band may be too tight and you need to have an unfill. I had one a week or so ago and feel much relief. I was getting a sour stomach after eating and throwing up too much. My doctor said my band was too tight.
When you say you were throwing up 'too much', how often was too much? I think I may be too tight but I'm not sure. I am keeping a record of how often I slime. I don't get the sour stomach like you said you had.

That makes sense about the difference in bread and Protein. I will make a note of that when it happens again. Somehow I know it will. I try to be so careful and eat slowly, make good choices, chew small amounts, etc. Sometimes I do well and sometimes I don't.

Thanks for your help.

Just wanted to say thanks guys - the Papaya pills worked for me. I still learning how to eat with the band (yes even after 1 1/2 years!) and often get stuck because I've eaten when I'm starving and I'm ignorning the 'I'm full' or 'slow down' signals, these tablets made it feel less painful but still full.

I'm writing from the UK - you can get these tablets in Holland and Barrett for the UK Bandsters.