Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Size of Band

Hi All,

This is my first post. I just met with the doc today for my first visit. I just really had some questions answered before I make a final decision. Although I am a bit "borderline", it appear my insurance will cover the procedure.

I have a friend who has had much success. In fact, she should probably be the poster child for LBS. I have another friend who had much trouble with slippage.

My friend with great success said not to go with the smaller band as it is prone to slipping. Not sure if the doc will let me have a choice or not. Is there a certain type of band, size of band, and/or manufacturer I should request from my doctor?

Not sure about all doctors, but mine told me what he was going to put in me. I think he uses a particular brand that he likes, or has had success with. I trust his judgement and so far everything is working well. Good luck to you!!!! Becky

I forgot to mention the doctor said he would use a small one in me. Then, without knowing I already met with the doctor, my friend told me to make sure he doesn't use the small one b/c they often slip.

Usually a doctor allows the patient to select the band. You can compare bands on this site by utilizing the search tool at the top of this web page.

Compare Adjustable Gastric Bands - LAP-BAND vs. REALIZE Band

There is a specific thread for the Realize band on this web page too.

Doctor's do not give their patients a choice of band size.

My surgeon uses the LapBand AP. It's nice because the ballooning part of the band goes all the way around the stomach. I think many surgeons have a brand they prefer and stick to that brand, but it never hurts to find out. I know the realize band has a great aftercare program on their website, which is a plus for that band. :tt2:

The only reason I can think that small ones may SEEM to slip more often is because the large one (AP L holds 14 ccs) is fairly new, having only been out a year.

There is an OLD style lap band (called the 9.75/10) that only held 4ccs and it too had more issues that have since been resolved. Perhaps she meant the older ones....or perhaps the numbers she was given were skewed as suggested.

Your surgeon will usually pick what's right for you!

My doc gave me the option between Lapband and Realize. He said for men he doesnt believe Realize is a good option. He showed me the two and the Realize band scared me. Its so much smaller than the Lapband. As for what size he said we would decide once he is in surgery. I ende up getting the largest band. I guess I have a big stoma.

I believe the new bands are all with the bevels and wider so less likely to slip.The old hard thin ones I think are the ones that slipped,since then I think they have worked that out and even with that said some ppl still slip.The small band APS Lap Band is said to have the best weight loss results as they hold less and you reach restriction sooner.Just trust that your doc will chose the one right for you based on the size of your stomach.

.The small band APS Lap Band is said to have the best weight loss results as they hold less and you reach restriction sooner.

Hope this doesn't sound pizzy or "hair splitty" :)

but fast weight loss is best achieved with Roux en Y Bypass. Long term weight loss ... the band catches up.

SO...You may lose a little faster if you're tighter at the start, but if you do your work, keep up the aftercare, follow the doc's advice, down the road regardless of what sized band you have, you'll have lost a good chunk of weight. Reaching restriction sooner MAY mean you start to lose more quickly than those who don't have restriction (or not if you eat slider foods! LOL) but over time, we'll all lose quite well if we do make good choices. The larger bands make life a little easier on people who need them (in that we don't come to in recovery puking and choking and unable to swallow Water because our stomach tops were mashed into bands that were too small) but we do hold more saline, too, and can get just as tight as the 10cc bands. Just takes aftercare, fills, determination, like it does for all bandsters! :)

What I quoted was based on this research.Yes I am sure over a period of time you should catch up if you follow a good plan .The research shows the small band loses more weight the first year ,not even in two years does the big band catch up.

obrienfig3.jpg

obrienfig4.jpg

Edited by Bamagal

Thanks for the info bamagal. I had swelling and got the small band but they had to unbuckle it because of the swelling. It is sitting in me not doing anything. I go back on 3/12 to have it buckled again. They also said they may switch it out if it is too tight but your info makes me want to keep this one.

I have been trying to loose and keep off some weight so it has more room because I think I will have more weight loss with the small AP band. But then I worry about other possible problems like I am going to Alaska in the summer and wonder if I will swell during the flight. My hands have swollen during flights and my rings get tight.

But this is my body reacting to things. Not everyone is the same. I know that when I lose some weight it will get looser. So a bigger band will not be as effective.

Several folks in my support group told me I wouldn't lose as well as them with bypass, and this was 2 days before my surgery. Well it's 8 1/2 mos later and I am surpassing them. I have the so called 'slower' band the AP-L (14cc's) and as of today I am down 105 lbs in 8 1/2 mos. I don't buy into the stats that were posted too much as my belief it isn't really the size of the band that is giving better results but it's how well the owner of the band is following the rules of the band. There's too many variables to credit one's success or lack there of to just the size of the band. Someone who is committed, follows the bandster rules is going to have the best success regardless if they have a 10cc or a 14cc band. I do like the AP bands though because they are wider and have the cushions all the way around them. But that's not to say someone with the smooth, Realize band who follows the rules won't have the same success.

Just my opinion, of course. I know stats are stats but I didn't want someone to be scared of the 14cc band thinking they couldn't be as successful.

I don't think I am scared of the bigger band and I look at the band as being a tool to loose weight. However, I just think that you may get to your goal faster and can maintain the weight easier with a tighter/smaller band. If that is what your anatomy needs. Only the doctor knows what you look like inside when he/she opens you up.

My doctor has been banding people for about 8 years and he says he uses the smaller one with most people, men and women. He also says that he has only had this swelling issue with one other patient. I tend to trust his opinion that based on my anatomy the smaller one is better but if my body swells then I will have the same problem again. Therefore, when he opens me up again he is going to see how much room I have and may change it out for a bigger band.

I am between 5' 2" and 5' 3" feet tall and weigh 211.6 as of today. I was 230'ish pre op and was about 222 the day of surgery. I am not big boned, nor am I small boned. My doctor says he reserves the larger band for larger people and was very surprised at my amount of swelling. In fact I still feel swollen.

I would love to see the stats on maintenance based on band size. That would probably give a more accurate perspective. Also, the reason for attempting to keep this band in me is that my doctor feels that I will have better results over the long run with this size band.

Your doctor is the one with the experience and if one size versus another is not right for you he/she will tell you. That is one of the things you are paying him/her for.

I am hoping to keep the smaller band because it is the one he though was best for me when he opened me up. However, I am aware that he may change it for the bigger one if the swelling has not gone down. Ultimately I will not know until I wake up after the revision.

You need to talk to your doctor and be willing to work with him/her as to what is right for you. Your doctor has the experience and the stats both personal and from the manufacturer. If you do not have faith in your doctors judgment you should find another doctor.

I am not a doctor and am just sharing my opinions and experiences with those who are interested. I wish everyone well in this journey and I hope us all great success.

Several folks in my support group told me I wouldn't lose as well as them with bypass, and this was 2 days before my surgery. Well it's 8 1/2 mos later and I am surpassing them. I have the so called 'slower' band the AP-L (14cc's) and as of today I am down 105 lbs in 8 1/2 mos. I don't buy into the stats that were posted too much as my belief it isn't really the size of the band that is giving better results but it's how well the owner of the band is following the rules of the band. There's too many variables to credit one's success or lack there of to just the size of the band. Someone who is committed, follows the bandster rules is going to have the best success regardless if they have a 10cc or a 14cc band. I do like the AP bands though because they are wider and have the cushions all the way around them. But that's not to say someone with the smooth, Realize band who follows the rules won't have the same success.

Just my opinion, of course. I know stats are stats but I didn't want someone to be scared of the 14cc band thinking they couldn't be as successful.

i agree with you. i got the realize band. and i have lost 75 pounds in almost 6 months. hoping to lose another 25 in the next 2 months. and if you follow the rules you will lose the weight. i almost didnt get the realize band because of my size. but i was able to get after they looked in. im up to 6cc's and i believe i hit my sweet spot.

i would say trust your dr on which band to get. because if you follow the rulles you will lose the weight.