Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days out and still in PAIN

hi all, i am discouraged that i'm still having significant pain. i can go about 4-5 hours and then i'm doubled over. im taking the liquid lortab.

can you all let me know how long u were on pain meds and...

i will be out by tomorrow. do u think i should call the doc for more or should i just start taking something otc.

thanks for any advice on how i can get comfortable

I was done on the 18th, so this is day 2 for me. For me the worst pain is in the shoulder, but it has been bearable. I do have some tenderness around the cuts on my tummy but keeping ice on it seems to help. I feel a bit sore when I get up or down but nothing too bad. They gave me a prescription for liquid vicodin which I take every for hours.

Pain should be manageable, there are tons of things they give you for pain and you shouldn’t have to suffer. Get on the phone and tell them to give you something, preferably before the weekend.

Hope you feel better

yeh youre right. don't you feel like u have weird stuff going on in you're stomach? my incisions hardly hurt. it's the internal pain that is bothering me and my chest and back hurt. i took an aleve and boy did it help.

i was banded on monday, so i totally understand to what you're talking about. what's worked for me is walking. i try to walk for about 10 minutes every hours. for some reason that helps break down the gas trapped in my shoulder and back area and alleviates the pain. also, take gas x. the strips are nice and minty (a nice change in flavour from broth) and really help lessen the stomach gas. also, use a hot Water bottle or pad on your stomach. from what i gather, the pain can last anywhere from 2 days to a few weeks and is different for everyone. most of my pain has dissipated but the gas is still rumbling around in my tummy.

hope you feel better soon.

I am feeling a "twisting" in my chest every so often. I described it to my sister as heartburn without the burn. Another way to describe it is it seems like my esophagus is being wrung out like a towel, but it doesn’t last too long. I would stay away from aleve, it is an nsaid and may irritate your stomach. Stick with Tylenol which has acetaminophen instead.

What are you guys eating? I am having low sodium chicken broth, sugar free Jello, apple juice, cranberry juice and fat free milk. I don’t think I am getting many calories in right now, don’t know if that is a problem for healing.

The staff wasn’t real specific on what I could eat. They just said Clear Liquids the first few days then go on to Protein drinks. It seems most people on here are on clear liquids a little longer so I think I will do that at least until my one week follow-up on next Wednesday.

I was on clear for 4 days then full liquid , liquid Tylenol adult strength helps alot with pain and Gas X to break up the gas as it caused me the most pain and that is what the shoulder pain is.Just stay active it helps break up the gas too.

Today is the first time I've ever replied to anything online. It is so comforting to know others are out there. The shoulder has been a concern for me and is extremely painful. I feel like it was pulled out of the socket. My surgery was 3 days ago and I plan on going back to work in 2 days. It's nice to read about similar concerns.

I had my surgery three weeks ago. I like reading the post because they really helped me. I had to be on pre and post op liquids. I thought I would starve to death. But now looking back it does get easier. Some advice is be careful when you exercise take it easy and eat what the doctor told you. I have found that everybody is doing things different. I did use the Gas X and heating pad and walk, walk for the gas pain. I took four days off from work and thought oh good that was not so bad. But then this past Monday I ended up in the hospital again with left side pain and fever. Which ended up being a blood clot and pulled muscle, staple in my side. So please take your time back to work and only do exercise as long as the doctor said to. I learned the hard way. I have now been out another week so that now makes two total. I still have boughts of pain usually at night from doing to much. Listen to your body. Walking is the best think for you now. Give your self time to heal. Good Luck I go for my first fill on March 4 and at this time I can eat anything which is not good.

I am 7 days post op. I felt really good yesterday not alot of pain going on and then today my stomach is just hurting. Maybe i overdid it yesterday!? I am back to work but taking it easy... Anyone else have this problem..?

DOWN 14 lbs SO FAR!~

I had my surgery on the 23rd and I stil have the gas pain, in my chest and even in my back. I went back to work last week and it has helped because of being up walking. I was given liquid Vicodin and I used it for the first 2 weeks to help with the pain. I had a hernia repaired at the same time. I emailed doctor and he encouraged walk walk walk, it helps get the gas out also alleve. I hope this helps.......