Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I be this hungry?

I just had my lapband surgery done on January 26th, I lost 13 lbs the first week, 7 the second week, and 2 the third week. Now I've sort of stopped and I am working out like crazy. However, I am starving all the time. Since I moved to normal food I feel like I'm never full. I still eat small portions because I want to lose weight BUT I'm not filling full until I eat more than I thought I would. Mind you I haven't had a fill yet and I won't until the 18th of March. BUt should I not feel resistance until my fill. My doctor said I really shouldn't yet, but I just wanted to get the advice of others that have actually had the procedure done. Thank you.

You need your fills to change that, what you are feeling is entirely normal and known as bandster hell - the period of time before your first fill where you have to white knuckle it.

and weight loss slowing or stopping is entirely normal too - you lose a TON of Water weight in those first weeks, eventually when you start eating your fluids start rebalancing, your weight stabilises, might even go up a bit. Dont worry as you've also lost quite a bit of fat and it will likely stay lost.

Just hang in there.

I would question whether or not you should be exercising like crazy at this point 3 weeks out, my dr orders specifically 6 weeks lifting nothing over 5lbs. YOu need to use this time to heal your band and make the stitches "set". losts of Protein and lots of walking. As the swelling goes down the opening is larger and more goes through. Eating protien every couple of hours and good soft veggies, will help that satisfaction. The amount of Fluid will help as well. keeping that "lower" tummy full, more trips to the restroom leaves less time to be eating. Good luck, be patient, make your band work for you. Welcome to the world of bandsters.:eek:

Thank you all for the reassurance that this is normal. I look forward to my fill so that I can really start dropping the weight. I did speak to my doctor and told him my work out regiment. He seems to think that the exercise is good for my. I guess I lost so much weight in those first 2 weeks and didn't feel the hunger. Week 3 and 4 have been a little different. But I'll continue to watch what I eat and work my big butt off, literally. :tt2: Thanks again.

I'm in the same boat as you Shelincali. Banded 31st Jan and so hungry could eat a scabby pig. :tt2:

Unlike you though, I only lost 11lbs including my pre-op week. However, I see that I have gained 4lbs of that back this last week. Great. :tt2:

Wow! Thanks so much for asking and replying to this question. I too, am having the same problems. I was banded 2/5/09 and I too am hungry all the time. When I called my doctor I was told the reason he did fill the band was so that it would heal. It is really hard on us that had the lab band to start off doing the things we need to do and the the last couple of weeks have to do things on our own untill the first fill. My doctor will not do a fill untill 6 weeks out. So I am trying to eat right and excerise and hope and pray that I do not gain the weight back.

I am curious, does any one know what the average weekly or monthy weight loss should be on the lab band?

Thanks

Ladydiana

I had my band placed 5-5-08. The last fill I had was 3 weeks ago and I for the first time, don't feel hungry. 9 months of waiting! I wasn't sure until then what they really meant by no hunger. It really is no hunger. Its fantastic!

Once you make the transition from your mushy foods to solid foods again the hunger should go away especially if you are eating properly. Your weight loss will stall for a bit.

Make sure you get lots of Protein. Then after the Protein make sure you eat your veggies and then after veggies and protein add in the other stuff.

I am curious, does any one know what the average weekly or monthy weight loss should be on the lab band?

Thanks

Ladydiana

Just my experience, after a year with the band I averaged 1 lb. per week. Some weeks were 2-3 lbs.--others none, but on average 1 per.

I think it depends a lot on starting weight. My doc said at first 5-6 lbs. per month for me then later 3-4 per month as I get closer to goal.

Denise