Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been smoke free for 1 week today. My PCP told me in Jan. when she made the referral that the surgeon would not do the surgery if I was still smoking. So I am using Chantix. It is still not easy even with the assistance of the drug. Some days I feel like I lost my best friend. Silly I know, but cigarettes have been a crutch for me since I was 24 yrs old. Giving up any 15 year "relationship" is bound to be a challenge. I meet w/ the surgeon and/or his staff on March 13th.

I SOOoooo completely understand what you mean about feeling like you've lost your best friend. I felt the exact same way. But you know what - just like with real relationships, there are just some that you need to remove yourself from because they are self destructing! I've smoked since I was 15 years old. I did quit with both of my pregnancy's, but I always picked it back up again. I just wanted to tell you that I totally get it! I still miss it sometimes, but I promise it does get better everyday! Hang in there!

Did you have your surgery??? How did it go?

Surgery went well and I am 1 week post op today, a little bruised but really great! I ahve lost an obscene amount of Water weight in 1 week 6kgs!! Yes I am still smoking the chantix did horrible things to me late in the second week and it wasnt pretty. So it is back to Patches at some point.

Deb

I still smoke also, though I really want to quit. I tried the Chantix but it gave me horrible nausea before I had the band, so I'm worried about what it will make my stomach feel like now that I have it. It did really work though, most cravings were gone, and if you do slip up while taking it, you don't get that "ahhhh" feeling from having a cigarrette. All doctors are different, some say if you smoke, you won't get the surgery. Others are indifferent. I did buy a box of cinnamon nicorette this week, and am trying to work myself up for quitting this coming week.

I did buy a box of cinnamon nicorette this week, and am trying to work myself up for quitting this coming week.

Good for you! I'm glad you are still trying. It took me several attempts before I finally quit. Just remember - don't be afraid to quit. I know it sounds silly, but it's true. I was afraid to lose my friend - the one who comforted me during any emotion possible. Just keep pushing. It will get easier day by day!

I smoke, and didn't quit before surgery. The day after surgery I was standing outside the hospital smoking. Not a good thing but it was what it was. I'm trying to quit now but it's really hard. you know, trying not to put anything else in your mouth. I do wish I had quit before the surgery. I've had other surgery TT, BL, BA. and I had to quit before hand but always start back up. I'm not going to play it down. I really like my cigs I just don't like paying for them.

March 14th (and my bday) I will have been quit for 3 years. I can honestly say I never even think about smoking any more. Other than when I'm in a bar and my only though is "wow, it's hard to breath in here". I'm now a volunteer smoking cessation consoler through the American Lung Association. I've been doing a couple years and the one thing I learned is I can give someone all the knowledge and tools, but unless they really want it, it don't matter. I tell them any smoking cessation works, if you really want it too. With that said, your best chance for success is a combination of support, learning everything you can about the addiction, and the quitting process (knowledge is power), drugs (i.e. Chantex or Zyban/Wellbutrin) and a nicotine replacement therapy (i.e. patch, gum, lozenges). The chances staying quite for one year going just cold turkey is 7%. Over 40% if you attack your addiction from multiple fronts. Also, don't try to make too many life changes at once. Like trying to loose weight, give up caffeine, and quit at the same time. Quitting smoking is plenty to focus on. However, it's the best thing you can do for yourself. After 20 years as a smoker, I love being a free of them and my life as a non smoker.

I smoked the day of my surgery,the night after and still smoke,the doc was mad when she smelled it on me the day after while she was checking my incisions for swelling.She first told me how great they looked then she smelled the smoke LOL.Then she said I am suppose to tell you smoking will keep you from healing but I already told you how well they look but you should quit anyway and least cut back.Well I did cut back from a pack and a half to a pack a day.

How would they check for nicotine...I asked my Dr.'s nurse about a blood test and she said that she had never heard of one...I want to quit, well I have to, but I want to wait until the day before surgery.

I'm not sure about blood test, but I remember when I was signing up for life insurance coverage, they did a cheek swab to test for nicotine. They had to confirm I was a non-smoker because of reduced rates. There ARE ways they can check to be sure you aren't smoking. My surgery group was one that said you had to quit for at least a month before and a month after or they wouldn't do the surgery. They were concerned about the ulcers on the stomach. Of course, their preference is that you never start back again.

Oh, I know that feeling of losing a best friend! However, it may be the drug you are on. A couple of years ago I tried to quit with Zyban and I swear it put me in a depression!

The nurse had asked I "cut down as much as I can" previous to surgery, however, do research online scared me, so I stopped smoking 4 days previous to surgery and refuse to have another one. It's now been 9 days...whooohoo! I know, not a long time, but I figure if I can go 9 days, I can go a lifetime. And...I have to tell you....way easier than wher I was on Zyban! No depression! I feel more powerful....taking control of all negative in my life...smoking gone...surgery done & on my way to be 85 pounds lighter - yippeeee!

Oh, I know that feeling of losing a best friend! However, it may be the drug you are on. A couple of years ago I tried to quit with Zyban and I swear it put me in a depression!

The nurse had asked I "cut down as much as I can" previous to surgery, however, do research online scared me, so I stopped smoking 4 days previous to surgery and refuse to have another one. It's now been 9 days...whooohoo! I know, not a long time, but I figure if I can go 9 days, I can go a lifetime. And...I have to tell you....way easier than wher I was on Zyban! No depression! I feel more powerful....taking control of all negative in my life...smoking gone...surgery done & on my way to be 85 pounds lighter - yippeeee!

Way to Go!!! You're doing great! Just think how much better you'll feel. I know I do. Here's another good forum that helped me alot when I quit smoking. Keep up the great work and keep us posted. Quit Smoking | Quit Smoking Support | Smoking Cessation

Edited by singledad167

I'm not sure about blood test, but I remember when I was signing up for life insurance coverage, they did a cheek swab to test for nicotine. They had to confirm I was a non-smoker because of reduced rates. There ARE ways they can check to be sure you aren't smoking. My surgery group was one that said you had to quit for at least a month before and a month after or they wouldn't do the surgery. They were concerned about the ulcers on the stomach. Of course, their preference is that you never start back again.
In my quit smoking class I have a CO2 detector. It shows the amount of CO2 in your blood just by breathing in to an analyzer. It can pretty much detect if you've been smoking in the last couple of weeks. It can pretty accurately show how much a person smokes. It's a good tool to show people who quit their progress. Also the amount of CO2 in the blood is one of the reasons smokers don't heal as fast. One of the major components to healing is the ability of the body to bring oxygen to the inflicted area. CO2 prevents O2 from attaching to blood cells. A pack a day smoker can reduce the amount of oxygen to all the bodies tissue, organs, and brain by as much as 30%. That's why when people quit the can experience "quitters fog" or dizziness. The brain is adjusting to the increase in O2 and has to chemically re-balance itself to it's natural state.

I quit 2/25/09...although I have quit several times...used the Chantix, and Zyban, hypnotysim. The best thing I have ever done was to listen to a book by Allen Carr...here is the link

Stop Smoking with Allen Carr?s Easyway Worldwide

Trust me...I started smoking when I was 14, 2 years ago I started again after quitting for 5 1/2 years...I was so afraid of failure...not anymore...His method really worked for me.

UGH... really struggling here w/ the quitting smoking. Was successful for 8 days. Then I smoked again for 2 days. Stayed smoke free for 4 days. Smoked again for 2 days (had the last one in the pack this morning). This is so hard . . . . .especially when something happens to stress me out! Going to keep at it, though!

UGH... really struggling here w/ the quitting smoking. Was successful for 8 days. Then I smoked again for 2 days. Stayed smoke free for 4 days. Smoked again for 2 days (had the last one in the pack this morning). This is so hard . . . . .especially when something happens to stress me out! Going to keep at it, though!

You know, I kinda played around with smoking like you did. Wouldn't smoke for several days or weeks even and then would smoke one or even just a puff here or there. I know what your going through. I think what finally pushed me into quitting was when my surgeon told me he would not operate until I had been smoke free for over a month. So, I could have had my surgery already by now if I'd stopped playing around with them.

I guess I wanted the surgery more than I wanted to smoke. I'm thankful that he is this strict about it. Otherwise, I don't think I would have ever gotten the nerve to quit. I just pray I never pick it up again.