Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long on post-op diet?

It seems like the more people I encounter, the more diverse answer I hear for how long on post-op liquid and/or mushies diet.

My dietician said 2 weeks of liquids, 2 weeks of mushies.

My surgeon said 1 week of liquids should be fine and 1 week of mushies.

I was banded on Feb 13, 2008 and can't wait for real food.

What were you told and what did you do?

3 days clear liquids, 3 days full liquids, 1 week mushies, soft foods for another week then normal foods.

I keep hearing these restrictions for clear liquids and such, and I'm a little nervous because my doctor never mentioned anything like that. It was just liquid. No restriction on type. I hope I didn't misunderstand anything because I've been having Protein Drinks and Soups since day one post-op.

Here is what the nutritionist gave me as my post op diet:

STAGE 1

2 weeks (weeks 1&2 post surgery) of clear liquids - consume by sipping one tablespoon of liquid every 15 minutes while awake. The list of permitted liquids is as follows:

-dilute or sugar free juices

-beef or chicken broth

-crystal light

-bouillon

-gatorade

-sugar free popsicles

-sugar free Jello

-decaf coffee or tea

-Water

*she did tell me that I didn't have to go Decaf as studies have shown that their diuretic properties have been blown way out of proportion and they actually count as liquid consumed.

STAGE 2 - two weeks (weeks 3&4 post surgery)

-soups (cream Soups, egg drop soup)

-cream of wheat (i am southern and thinking to replace with grits)

-runny mashed potatoes

-apple sauce

-sugar free puddings

-pureed fruit (no skins)

-pureed fish, tuna, chicken

-cottage cheese (low fat)

-sugar free yogurt

-sugar free carnation instant Breakfast

-Protein shakes

-milk (1% or skim)

-pureed veggies without skins.

-baby food

-light mayo

-light salad dressings

-all previously allowed foods.

STAGE 3 (week 5 and after post op)

-low Fiber non cooked cereals

-refined cooked cereals (oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits)

-mashed potatoes

-cooked or canned fruit

-soft cooked veggies without skin or hulls

-tender skinless chicken, turkey, fish or tuna (grilled, baked or broiled)

-eggs

-ripe banana

-shredded low fat cheese

-very tender lean pork or beef (cooked in a crock pot and cut into small pieces)

all previously allowed foods.

After I got through all of the stages, the dietitian told me to explore and try different foods to see what works for me. She did give me a list of typical problem foods to avoid.

Wow - Vala - thanks for taking the time to type all that out. I have a lot of questions and you really helped! thank you! I'm being banded March 9th and really appreciate your post!!!

I talked to my doctor 1 week post-op and mentioned that I feel like my liquids are just going right through me, he ordered mushies 1 week post-op, and moved the rest of my diet plan up as well. So I'm actually on mushies and some safer solids only 2.5 weeks post-op. All seem well. For the most part I am on a liquid diet except when I'm super hungry.

I feel great, stay full for longer and have been dropping weight like crazy. I'm happy!!

I was just about to post something about this!

I was on clear Proteins and I had to go to the hospital because I almost fainted from being so weak. My primary care physician (who I do have to say is against the surgery) was furious at the diet, spoke to my surgeon and on day 5 put me on full liquids and mushies.

That being said, I have had no complications and I'm confused as to why. I can drink fluids with no real quantity restrictions, I've had no vomiting, I have no problems getting any consistency of pureed food down.

It honestly doesn't feel like I've had surgery AT ALL. I'm losing weight, but it's mostly because I'm watching what I eat, not because I'm full...

I don't get it... Is it because I haven't had a fill? I mean I don't push the limit at all but I'm confused as to why I don't feel any restrictions. Is it that, if you do everything right, you wont???

I have to say that I think the surgeons who expect people to stay on clear liquid diets for more than 3 days post surgery need their heads examined.

I tried and I too was feeling very weak and everything was going straight through me. I was not getting the basic nutrients I needed. I went ahead and added shakes and CIBs and never had an issue. You guys saw the post op diet I posted earlier in this thread. It is NOT healthy in my opinion (especially after experiencing it). You need Protein to heal and staying on clear liquids for 2 weeks is not going to give you what you need. I think a cup of chicken broth only has a couple of grams of Protein.< /p>

I think Mr. Rice's Doc has it right. Listen to what your body is telling you. If you are hungry and weak and the liquids are going down fine, step it up a little and try something with more substance. You will be amazed at how full you feel.

I too dont understand why I have not had a fill. I was banded 2/13/09 I am restricting my diet but would love to have the full feeling they are talking about. How soon will you be banded? I will have to wait till the end of March I dont understand.

I was banded on the 12th. They basically put me on mushies after 1 week. I'm still on them though. I'm afraid to accelerate and push anything else up a week because I was able to push mushies up.

I'm mostly worried that, what if the band slipped and that's why it's so easy for me to eat? Would it hurt? Would I know? Am I being paranoid?

Now you have me a little paranoid too, because I am in the same boat. I am drinking mostly Protein Shakes, Soups, and a few bits of guacamole and hummus now and then to feel like I have something a little more substantial. I feel similar to YouChutUp though and it feels like I haven't had surgery at all.

From what I understand, if your band slipped nothing would be going down. I would not worry.

I knew someone that slipped their band. They were vomiting constantly and were heading into starvation mode fast.

I have to say that I think the surgeons who expect people to stay on clear liquid diets for more than 3 days post surgery need their heads examined.

I tried and I too was feeling very weak and everything was going straight through me. I was not getting the basic nutrients I needed. I went ahead and added shakes and CIBs and never had an issue. You guys saw the post op diet I posted earlier in this thread. It is NOT healthy in my opinion (especially after experiencing it). You need Protein to heal and staying on Clear liquids for 2 weeks is not going to give you what you need. I think a cup of chicken broth only has a couple of grams of Protein.< /p>

I think Mr. Rice's Doc has it right. Listen to what your body is telling you. If you are hungry and weak and the liquids are going down fine, step it up a little and try something with more substance. You will be amazed at how full you feel.

Vala - I agree with you - I think the best thing we can do is listen to our bodies. I'm doing 3 protien shakes per day per Dr. Ortiz's dietitian - for the 7 days prior to my surgery and I'm very headache-y.

How do you guys feel - I mean in the week or 2 after surgery when you are eating so very little? And those of you who don't feel banded - do you get headaches from being hungry? or headaches from not eating enough? I just can't understand how you don't feel light headed even if you don't feel hungry like youchutup describes. Does it feel like the flu - like when you just don't have an appetite but you feel the weakness?

I'm really worried - as mrriceguy's dr & vala points out - that the diet immediately after surgery just isn't nutrient/protien rich enough. 3 protien shakes a day are only 675 calories total. Won't that lack of calories begin to breakdown the protein in our muscle? I'm still learning, still researching - or is 9-1200 enough to keep our bodies from going into metabolism shut down and not go into starvation mode? I completely agree with going off clear liquids - at 3 days - its similar to when you have the flu and can go a few days without eating much at all.

MrRiceguy - what is your daily caloric intake? what are your liquids for you personally - as you say you feel great? I'm really worried about my energy level plummeting after surgery.

I'm so happy to hear the reality of what to expect -thanks to all of you commenting here!!