Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restraunt food - what do YOU order??

Good Day !

So, I've tried to go out to eat many times - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I usually end up PB-ing into napkins at the table :-(

Today is my Birthday, and I'm planning to go out to dinner. However, I'm wondering what kind of selections others make when they go out - Do you stick with foods you know? Just Soups? Salads? Whatever you always used to order but just dont eat as much?? Help!!

I had 1/2 a cc removed yesterday. When I told my PA what i LIKE to eat , she said I shouldn't be eating most of those foods anyway. So i'm asking - what does everyone else eat when going out for dinner?? I need to break my habits, and need some ideas-

Thanks!! :tongue2:

I usually order fish or chicken and veggies. I don't order that different than before, but I do try to stay away from fried foods.

Happy Birthday!

Bobbie, how was the birthday dinner? What did you end up ordering?

one thing I never eat is salad, Now with the band I never ever ever eat salad as salad will never waste space in my small area for Proteins, carbs and real solids.

Salad not a chance. meat, fish, veg.

I eat what I used to eat, although not usually the bread or rolls. I typically avoid appetizers and fried foods, but have found that if I chew away, I can still have steak if I want it. The high note is, there are always left overs for the next day, or for the dog if I don't want it again the next day. :mad2:

Lol, I eat the salad becuase the vegies are healthy.

I will order whatever is on the menu that I fancy and if that's creamy Pasta, then that's what I order. I dont eat out more than once or twice a month, I enjoy it when I do. I just eat WAY less and that makes me enjoy it more.

there's certain foods I'd avoid though becuase they are more likely to result in a pb - I would never order a burger or fries for example.

I normally order a child size portion of chicken parm with extra sauce on the side. No Pasta because I can't eat it so I order mashed potato instead. I usually cut the portion in half and bring the rest home.

Hey North Dakota girl, how's it going? Hope you had a great birthday.. Are you sick of snow there like we are here?? Anyway, it all depends on the kind of restaurant we go to.. I try to stay away from fast food unless they serve chili... Chili has lots of Protein and a small portion is about right... Had that today when I took my mother to the doctor... My husband likes to go to the Steak buffet places... (Skinny guy who eats like a horse!!!) I do fine there since my band.. I used to be so stuffed I couldn't hardly breath after a night out there.. But now I make good choices and sample lots of different things. One rule I have is that if it doesn't taste wonderful, I don't swallow it.. No sense filling the hole with something that doesn't taste great.. I hate wasting food, but better in the garbage than on me!!!! I usually even have some sort of dessert. Once again, I taste a variety, but don't eat it all.. If I go to a sit down place, I order what I'm craving. We went out for Valentines and we had a wonderful prime rib supper.. It was so tender and juicy that I didn't have any trouble. I ate the salad, 1/2 the meat and a couple bites of potato. My husband ate the rest of mine the next day..... I have heard different ones say that they miss just being able to eat whatever they want and I totally understand that.. But I don't miss that overstuffed feelings and hope to never experience it again.. Hope you enjoyed your supper.. Take care... Julie

Thanks for the wishes! I had a wonderful birthday . Well, except for that one little thing called "Turning 45" !! lol

Ok, so i've gone to Applebees, Texas Roadhouse, Space Aliens, KFC, etc... and again, sometimes things work and sometimes they just don't. It's SO frustrating !! I'm really "Down" on food ... for example, i had corned beef and a hard roll for lunch - No problem :-) 2 days ago i couldn't keep Malt-O-Meal down. Not that i'm too full ... just that i cant get any of it thru - like i'm swollen or something - :unsure:

I assume this is somewhat normal ? Just wondering what you all do when this happens.

Thanks!

I'm just going to throw some things out to see if any of it helps, so bear with me!

You mentioned problems with Malt O Meal. Are most of your problems in the AM? Even as late as near lunch?

I'm sometimes tighter in the AM than later in the day. I'll drink hot tea (don't drink coffee unless it's a froufrou drink!) before I try to eat or drink anything else, including my supplements and meds.

Are you too hungry by the time you eat?

If I'm starving, I eat too fast and don't chew enough. I have to REALLY concentrate on what I'm doing so I don't get stuck and (possibly) PB.

Are you drinking too close to eating?

Sometimes, I'm so thirsty, I am drinking right up til I eat. If I then start eating with something that can swell up with liquids (such as bread), I'll sometimes get stuck or uncomfortable. The Water (or whatever), if I drink it fast enough and too much of it, will still be in the pouch as it drains and if I throw say, a piece of bread, right in on top of it, poof! swells up and gives me problems.

Also, as I've recently discovered, the hard way, if you're sick and "draining", you could be filling up your pouch with mucus and be full or stopped up. Hot tea and a good decongestant in the AM helps A LOT!

Allergies, TOM, colds, stress and dehydration can all cause problems with the band.

Also, you could still be a little too tight.

As you have problems, try to analyze what's going on with you at the time. Are you exhausted and starving and you just forgot to pay attention to how you're eating? Is it PMS and you're going to feel better after TOM?

I recently got stuck on the first bite of lunch. I don't remember even TAKING the first bite! I was SO hungry! Of course after being in pain for several minutes while the papaya enzymes kicked in, I was no longer hungry! But you get the idea!

Sorry this is so long. I hope it helps. This is such a huge learning process and I'm surprised at every turn! Take care and best wishes!

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Hi Michelle ... Thank you for your response! You are almost dead-on with each part ! lol . Yes, i'm very tight in the morning, even up to and thu the lunch period and into the supper hour! And some days i'm not tight at all, and can eat anything. It's so frustrating. I've been told I can be tighter in the morning, but all day ?? And not EVERY day? :)

Yes, i'm guilty of still eating too fast at times, and taking too big of bites and not chewing them well :thumbup: It's amazing just how much there is to learn each day, even tho we're told over and over again NOT to do something. The 'Ol bod just seems to go back to bad habits constantly. I do drink closer to eating sometimes, and the one lesson I HAVE learned is to NOT eat bread-like products and drink before I eat. BAD COMBO!

I guess i just have to be conscience of what i'm doing ALL the time. I have absolutely NO regrets !! Just a minor learning disability :mellow:

And thank you for the Birthday Wish :-)

This helped me out a great deal ... Thank again!

Edited by BobbieND

chicken is tough for me, so I usually order just about what I want, except chicken. I eat a few bites of everything and I'm a happy camper. Sometimes if I'm not real hungry, I'll order an appetizer instead of a meal. It's just about the right amount, but not eveyone has healthy appetizers. I stay away from the bread, rice and potatoes (unless they have brown rice or sweet potatoes) and the dessert, and take the leftovers home. If all else fails, I order Soup.< /p>