Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

St. Patty's Day

So I can't believe it's actually going to happen.

I waited a year to move and get settled before pursuing WLS. Then in Feb of last year I went to the doctor. I had already done 12 months of doctor supervised weight loss. Not required...just out of a need to do it for myself and make a show of effort to myself. After the Feb consult where they said I was a perfect candidate, weighed me in at 273 and said not to gain more than 5 pounds before surgery or they wouldn't do it, a fight with insurance ensued.

Because I'm a graduate student, they will only cover surgeries at my university's medical center. They do RNY, but not Lap Band. So I waited another six months for my husband to get benefit eligible. We now pay $200 extra dollars a month for his on top of mine (mine is better than his, even though his covers this surgery). But his insurance only covers 50%.

Queue me hem-ing and haw-ing for three months about paying $10k to have this surgery instead of a free RNY. I finally decided, we took out a loan for $6k and my parents graciously offered to cover $4k. Then I found out my insurance won't pre-approve out patient. I hem-ed and haw-ed another month. But I feel like I had all my ducks in a row and I truly feel there is no way they can turn me down.

I had all my testing done (no sleep apnea!) and I'm scheduled for St. Patrick's Day ! The only last obstacle I have to tackle is--I weighed 310 when I finally got my date. Luckily I'm down to 294 now, so only 14 more pounds left to go. My mother is canceling her university classes (she's a professor) to fly out and take care of me. She's booked a ticket, so not losing the weight is not an option. I'm fairly confident that 2 weeks on Clear liquids combined with daily elliptical torture will melt off 20 pounds. I've already started on less than 1200 calories a day. What do you all think ? I'd love to talk with some of you and get to know you. I've found myself unexpectedly here, ready for a surgery I truly never thought I would be able to have and would love to hear some of your stories.

Cait

How are you doing Cait on your pre preop diet? Have you gotten off the additional 14lbs? I am thinking about you! Let us know!

I forgot to keep checking my thread ! My email is such a bomb I never subscribe to threads, so I'll have to remember to keep checking !

Good luck to you spiritdriven ! I'll be thinking of you as I'm going under ! I think of all the days of the year, maybe this will be the best one, and it happened completely coincidentally for me. I didn't realize until later it was St. Patrick's day !

Hey Gabi ! Thanks for your support. No major movements yet, but I just started my liquid diet today. 13 pounds left to go, but 2 weeks on Clear Liquids should be enough to get rid of 13 pounds, right ? I'm really nervous, but this matters so much to me I can't really see any alternative to success. Do you have a pre-op diet to follow ? You're almost there. Let me know how you're coming along ! I'd love to hear more.

Cait

Good luck to you spiritdriven ! I'll be thinking of you as I'm going under ! I think of all the days of the year, maybe this will be the best one, and it happened completely coincidentally for me. I didn't realize until later it was St. Patrick's day !

Thanks for the thoughts.

What's funny is my surgeon is Irish from the Old Country. He just has to Celebrate after my surgery is done :)

Hey Gabi ! Thanks for your support. No major movements yet, but I just started my liquid diet today. 13 pounds left to go, but 2 weeks on clear liquids should be enough to get rid of 13 pounds, right ? I'm really nervous, but this matters so much to me I can't really see any alternative to success. Do you have a pre-op diet to follow ? You're almost there. Let me know how you're coming along ! I'd love to hear more.

Cait

I have been on my preop liquids for 5 days and it's getting better. The scale shows I've gained 2 lbs but I don't know how that possible unless it's Water weight. I have 3 days left until surgery and I am soooo excited!

For the past a couple days, I have been feeling more hungry. I have been on a 3 month die, I have been doing great, I really surprised myself with it.

Though, this hunger is starting to bother me. I hope it passes.

Just wanted to say Hi to everyone. I was just banded on the 17th too. I'm doing ok with pain just still really tired and a little out of it. The gas pain in my upper back and neck has been killer but hopefuly that part is just about over...

weight.png

I was away for a whole week recuperating and enjoying my week off of work ! So I avoided the internet like a plague and it was very satisfying.

Hope everyone has had a great success with their surgery. Mine went very well. It was 50 minutes total. I have one large incision, and four TINY incisions. I had no gas pain, and the only pain I really do have is around my port. I'm guessing it's because of the muscle repair that is going on. So I stand and sit a lot more slowly and shuffle more than walk. But I've gotten quite a bit of walking in, and am feeling generally good. Just tired. I'm at work not really working right now and counting the minutes until I can go home and nap.

Hope everyone else is doing great ! Let me know how it went for anyone else reading this thread !

I also was banded on St. Patricks day and I feel great! I am now on soft foods and I feel alot better now that I am consuming something more than liquids.

I also was banded on St. Patricks day and I feel great! I am now on soft foods and I feel alot better now that I am consuming something more than liquids.

Ditto. today i switched to soft/pureed foods. I am so happy I can eat more variety. I got very edgy over the weekend.and liquid diet was wearing thin on me.

I also got very edgy and I think my hubby and kids are very happy that I can finally eat some food. The last two weeks were two very hard weeks for me mentally because I was not mentally prepared for the surgery due to having to go in for an emergency but I am thankful that I made it through it and I am on my way again!