Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post op and no appetite

Hi all,

Ok- so I am not sure if this is still the 'honeymoon phase' I've read about, or the band, or just psychosomatic, but I have no appetite. Keep in mind I am a food addict and could finish two plates of food and keep going normally; whether I was hungry or not. I have been cooking for the family and still sticking to my pureed stage (yogurt, pudding soup) until I see the nutritionist tomorrow and get the ok for the mushie stage. I feel like I have gone from one extreme to the other, it's driving DH crazy and now he is on food patrol with me constantly trying to get me to eat something. On top of it all, I wrote in a previous post, I lost my 'taste' for coffee. Believe me, I am not complaining about these thinngs; just never expected it I guess. Not having an appetite is great; I have 175 pounds to lose but just wondering if this is normal and how long will it last. I failed on every diet known to man because I have no willpower or self control and always felt ravenous. I think the psychological part, knowing I have this device inside that if I overeat will NOT produce a pleasant outcome (PB, Vomit) I think that in itself was the trigger I needed to stop and think before I take a next bite. I just find it so bizarre how I am struggling to get through a 6oz yogurt, lol. How are all the new banders doing with appetite?

Congratulations on your surgery!!!

I can say personally that this is the wonderful thing about the band... I am just not hungry. It's a big adjustment -- especially when you have a husband who wants you to decide what's for dinner and you reply, "I don't care. I'm not really hungry." Mine just couldn't understand that I HAVE NO APPETITE! ha ha ha

I wish you lots of continued success!!! Take care!

I wish I could say i was just a little hungry. I go to doc tomorrow, might be a fill. I am working double time being creative on Snacks that are good and filling. down 10 lbs from surgery date of the 23rd of Jan. I feel good about that, but the hunger has been back for the last 1 1/2 in full force!:rolleyes: I have to work on will power, and probably mental hunger. Good luck to us all.

Patti with a smile:smile:

I'm one week post-op and am hungry, but find it difficult to eat. The more I eat, the more gassy I become, and thus, painful. So I find myself not eating much at all, although I'm hungry...I'm going a little nuts to be honest. This must be bandster hell.

I had my surgery 11-19-08 and I remember being starved for the first 2 weeks. I thought I knew what it was like to be hungry and found out I haven't been hungry a day in my life up to that point. I have lost 47 pounds since surgery and I am due for 2nd fill on 2-25-09. Can't wait cuz I don't feel any restriction and I am hungry right now.:biggrin::rolleyes:

I had my surgery Dec. 1 2008. My second fill Feb. 10. I have been hungry, but not ravenous. I don't notice much restriction yet. Got food caught twice. Pretty unpleasant, but it finally went down. Have lost 17 pounds since surgery. Hopefully the next fill will do the trick. Lots of luck to you.

I guess I am going to enjoy this ride while it lasts then! Today all I had was a 6oz yogurt and a Gerbers sweet potato baby food, 1 3.5 ounce serving.

Marmite Crumpet; love your name- my husband is from Uk and I LOVE marmite and butter on toast or better yet; crusty bread! Wonder when I will ever have that again!

Hi Abby,

I'm a newby, banded last Friday, Black Friday!!! I have immediate restriction although no fill was put in. I love it, no appetite and a constant feeling like I've eaten a 10 course meal, so do not want anything!!!

I can sip Water and of course do. I am on the Fluid stage for the 1st 2 weeks and I must say it would be very easy not to have anything but water but I can sip down small Protein Shakes and juice when I need to.

I do expect that this restriction level will lessen as I heal??? But as I so much want to succeed at this, I have to say I am very happy!!!

I am the same way about immediate restriction. I was banded 1/30 and I am already on solids. I rarely get hungry anymore. I still have to drink two shakes a day so I get plenty of calories. With three meals and two shakes I barely get 800 calories. I didn't expect this but love it. I'm down 40Lbs since the pre op diet.

I think you are just lucky enough to get restriction with surgery. Some people never need fills, or if they do, only small ones. Just enjoy it :0)