Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any 15-20 year post op folks?

Hello

I see and hear great results related to wls from folks that are up to 8 years post op, but it is unsettling to not be able to read or hear from folks that have 15-20 years of wls experiences. I am starting to wonder, do they even exist? I know that wls procedures have changed over the years, but can anyone out there w/ longevity share some info? I have a two year old to live for and I need to know that a wls procedure wont cap my lifespan.

Crap, you just scared the crud out of me :thumbup: I also have a 1 yr old.. i know a couple wls pts that are 3 yrs out but nothing further.....

I hope someone responds:crying::crying::cursing:

The band has only been approved for use here in the USA since 2001!!! You aren't going to get any 15-20 year post op people YET! There are people with other types of WLS who've had it that long ago but while this site does have a forum for non-lap-band people, the majority of posters here have the lap band.

Honestly the odds of dying from obesity are as scary or more so...

if you are truly worried an internet search of statistics should set your minds at ease! :thumbup:

If you were going to die from having a lapband it would most likely be during the surgery or very soon after - and the risks there are a lot lower than many operations you might have to have because of obesity! Open heart surgery for example is just a tad more dangerous than a lapband op. So 15-20 year stats arent going to help. The risks of being very sick with things arising from being obese in 20 years time is way way higher.

Hello

I need to know that a wls procedure wont cap my lifespan.

There was a 12-year study of morbidly obese and super obese patients who all had gastric banding. The study is online at http://www.obesitylapbandsurgery.com/ObesitySurgeryArticle.pdf

Good results for long term weight loss and life expectancy.

Wilowcat, thanks for posting the article. I love to see actual studies as opposed to anecdotal thoughts.

I agree, it has only been recently approved in the US and most of the posters are from the US so you won't find many people that far out from surgery that are posting. Also, how likely is it that you would continue to post on a specific forum for 15-20 years :0). After a while life takes over and there is not as big a need to stay on forums.

Thanks for the reading site, good info. I too have small children and that was one reason for the band. I wanted to be healthy enough to enjoy them.

After reading, me job is to continue with follow-ups and good eating habits. As before the lap=band is a tool.

I appreciate your time to post the good info. Thanks...Patti with a smile