Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Forever?

Hi-

I've been reading the boards - as I'm scheduled for surgery on March 11 and I'm getting kind of nervous. I have just sat for over an hour reading the complications that some are having.

Do complications happen more often than not?

Also, has anyone had their band (without complications) for a very long time?

I assumed that I would just keep it forever.

Does it eventually have to come out?

Thanks,

Malissa

I'm plan on keeping my band forever. I know that the band has only been approved in the states for around 7 years. Before that they had been doing it Europe for around 10 years. My doctor told me that Europe is kind of like our guinea pigs...we let them get all the kinks out before the FDA approves it over here. Believe it or not we actually have all the lawsuits to thank for that in this country. Our country is super diligent when it comes to approving medical procedures.

As far as complications, I was banded 3 days ago and so far so good. I went to Cincy Weight Loss to be banded. They have performed over 5000 lap band procedures in the last 7 years. And from what i've heard, they have very few if any complications.

Good luck with your banding.

As with any surgery, there can be complications. I kinda looked at the complications section on this site before my surgery, but since I had already made my decision, I didn't spend too much time there. I knew the risks, but tried to stay positive and focused on the success stories and asked the questions that I had so that I was well informed by the time I had my surgery. I have not had my band long but I've had no complications so far and I plan on keeping my band forever.... I love it!!! Good luck to you. Becky

I'm plan on keeping my band forever. I know that the band has only been approved in the states for around 7 years. Before that they had been doing it Europe for around 10 years. My doctor told me that Europe is kind of like our guinea pigs...we let them get all the kinks out before the FDA approves it over here. Believe it or not we actually have all the lawsuits to thank for that in this country. Our country is super diligent when it comes to approving medical procedures.

As far as complications, I was banded 3 days ago and so far so good. I went to Cincy Weight Loss to be banded. They have performed over 5000 lap band procedures in the last 7 years. And from what i've heard, they have very few if any complications.

Good luck with your banding.

Actually I have heard from my doctor and others that they started the banding procedure in Europe in the 80's. Hope that helps people feel a bit more comfortable about how long it's been around.

However, I too have wondered how many long-termers there are with the band.

Hi-

I've been reading the boards - as I'm scheduled for surgery on March 11 and I'm getting kind of nervous. I have just sat for over an hour reading the complications that some are having.

Do complications happen more often than not?

Also, has anyone had their band (without complications) for a very long time?

I assumed that I would just keep it forever.

Does it eventually have to come out?

Thanks,

Malissa

You looking for an honest answer to that question? ;o)

Theoretically the band is supposed to last forever. But in over 2 years of posting on various band boards, the longest I have ever seen anyone keep it so far is 7 years. It's been in the US for 8 years, Mexico for 18 years, and Europe for over 20 years. We hear about all these people from all over (Europe, Mexico, etc.) but have you ever met one of these people?

You'd think just one would post. :rolleyes:(

I had my band for 18 months before I finally had it removed.

Malissa,

I'm one of those that had HUGE complications. They can happen, they DO happen, and one needs to be aware of that going in.

As far as your question specifically, the positive outcomes outweigh the negative. There are more Band Successes than there are failures and severe complications. I think the incidence of small complications is very great, but those are usually issues that are easily resolved.

WasABubbleButt was correct about the amount of time the Band has been around. She's also wise in pointing out that we never see or hear from those long-term Band patients.

The Band didn't really take off until after FDA approval here in America in 2001. I don't think there will be any really solid statistics on long-term viability and Band Complications for several more years. And, you have to take into consideration that the Weight Loss Industry is just that....an INDUSTRY, and I would be wary of statistics of that kind produced by an industry that pulls in as much money as the Weight Loss biz.

The important thing for you to consider at this point is whether you have made the correct choice in your Surgeon. You need to make sure that he/she has been doing this for a LONG time, has a great support staff, and you need to speak to as many of his/her former patients as you can.

Really, really do your due diligience with regard to your surgeon. I think that there are some hacks out there that just got into the business because it is so lucrative, and they aren't all that experienced.

Also, make sure that you are ready and willing to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS given you by the Surgeon and his staff. That is where a lot of people run into problems....they don't follow the protocol.

Also, make sure that you have given dieting and exercise a proper chance. Be clear that you have worked HARD at it, and done all you can do before you go the surgical route.

Feel free to ask any of us here specific questions. There are people on this board that have had awful experiences, and there are those for whom the process was easy and comfortable. Most people lie somewhere in between.

Best of luck, keep us posted on your progress!

I would suggest that you keep your mind open - to the problems that can happen but also to the wonderful things that will happen!

Educate yourself for sure, but remember that there are a lot people who have had some issues - I myself had a port revision - but I love my band, I wouldn't change anything.

Only you and your surgeon can decide what is best for you :rolleyes: Good luck!

I think its not really logical to say where are the people who've had bands for 20 years? They've been doing them in Australia for 20 years now. I do actually know someone, in real life, who's had hers for 12, but the thing is, the first generation of bands has been improved upon markedly, the very first ones werent even adjustable, so naturally, as people have had complications, the bands have been improved. An awful lot of people who had bands back in the early 90's have had upgrades - what you want to know is where will you be in 20 years with THIS generation of band.

Where are the GBP'ers of 20 years ago? Many have regained. No surgery is guaranteed to get the weight off you and keep it off for a lifetime. Not the bypass, not the sleeve, not the band. Complications can happen with all of them. Some people can work well with a band some cant. Some people are willing to take certain risks - for me, slippage and erosion dont scare me as much as leakage or splitting staples or simply removing half of one of my organs. We can argue about that till we're blue in the face, there's no right or wrong to it, its a personal choice. I like knowing the band is reversible - if it slips, it can come out and I still have a stomach. Others dont care about that.

You have to be realistic about it. Its a device placed in your body that CAN fail. The real risk of slippage and erosion is low but of course it happens. The risk of your body doing weird things (like esophagus dilation) is there too however, many many people manage their bands extremely poorly - I dont think a band is a good choice for someone who simply cant control their overeating. More likely however is that one day, part of the band will fail, most likely the balloon and your band will have to come out and be replaced. Realistically, with a band, you should expect a second surgery to replace it one day.

To me, its a simple tool that my body has accepted will, it doesnt cause me any particular discomforts or complications, my eating habits were such that I've been able to work well with a band and of course I exercise a lot to keep the weight off. It was perfect for ME and the risks involved were not that offputting for me. Its not perfect for everyone.

My husband's father had a lapband put in sometime in the 90's, so 13 years or more. Of course, they're Swedish so they've had access to the band a lot longer than we have.

I just saw your date. Welcome to the band!

I think its not really logical to say where are the people who've had bands for 20 years? They've been doing them in Australia for 20 years now. I do actually know someone, in real life, who's had hers for 12, but the thing is, the first generation of bands has been improved upon markedly, the very first ones werent even adjustable, so naturally, as people have had complications, the bands have been improved. An awful lot of people who had bands back in the early 90's have had upgrades - what you want to know is where will you be in 20 years with THIS generation of band.

Actually, I was referring only to the adjustable bands. I wasn't even considering the non adjustable band, it's a whole different type of band in my mind.

The longest AGB patient I have met in real time or on the boards is on OH, she's had hers for 7 years.

Thanks everybody for your responses. I have researched getting banded the entire 6mo of my supervised diet. I think I'm just getting nervous as the date gets closer. But I really do wonder...is it forever? I guess you guys are right, it is too soon to know.

I feel very comfortable with the doctor I selected. Her name is Dr. Tiffany Jessee in Largo, Fl. My only complaint about her is the $1,000 fee she charges (not covered by insurance). This covers my 2 weeks of liquid diet Protein Shakes, Vitamins, and admin fees.

I looked into other doctors, but I feel most comfortable with her - so I'm willing to pay it. She does both the realize and lap-band.

Does anyone know which is better?

I think it's just preference, Malissa. I personally liked the lap-band because of the separate, equal pillows and pre-shape of the band itself over the Realize which is a straight band with one pillow which doesn't hold a rounded shape when filled. That's just me, though. I thought there could be more issues with erosion with the shape of the Realize because of its non-uniform shape. I may be entirely wrong, but that was what I thought about the two.