Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure if I should get my 1st fill in 4 days..please help!

Hello everyone, I have a dilemma. So I was banded 1/19 (LOVE IT) and immediately felt restriction. I healed very quickly and my post-op diet was altered. I was on liquids for 4 days, mushies for 7 days then on "normal" food on day 12 (no issues whatsoever and this was Dr. recommended, I did NOT choose this on my own).

I have lost an average of 2 lbs per week since surgery and my Dr. believes I got restriction immediately (no fill in band at all). I told him that I do NOT want to feel how I felt immediately post-op, which was the swollen esophogas (sp?) and worried I couldn't eat. I have not every PB'd or slimed (knock on wood) or had anything stuck and DON'T WANT to!

I eat my required Protein every day, usually much more (around 100g) I make responsible choices, but I also really like not worrying about what I can or can't eat.

I am getting a little hungry between meals, but nothing that I have not been able to control (some less healthy choice Snacks were had occasionally).

My Dr. told me he has one patient that is 1 year post-op that has lost 50lbs with no fill, and some just don't need them.

What I am worried about is getting a fill and having "issues" with food i.e., sliming, pb'ing, sticking.

I would like a little more restriction, but I'm not sure I want to risk my nearly "perfect" ability to eat what I want. I've made responsible decisions to this point and think I can continue.

I'd LOVE to hear any advice so I can figure out what to do. Thanks in advance!

Your experience sounds a bit like mine. After getting 0.6 ccs in a 4cc band with my first fill at 6 weeks, my doctor and I have decided against fills at the other two appointments I've had. I've been losing steadily, hunger hasn't been a huge issue and, like you, I like the fact that I can eat pretty much any food I want without worrying about PBing or getting stuck. I know that I can get a fill on down the line if I need one, but for now, I don't.

I'd say, as long as you are able to make good decisions about what to eat and you are losing, put off a fill. Why mess with what is working?

I'd say, as long as you are able to make good decisions about what to eat and you are losing, put off a fill. Why mess with what is working?

That's very good advice. Last week my surgeon's nurse said "Do you want him to give you a fill?" I told her that I did not know how to respond to that because I am not hungry and I am losing and it was the first time even if I got one. So I told her I would wait to see what he decided and he decided no not right now. I heard of someone by me who has been banded for 2+ years and has never been filled and is very successful. Right now I will leave the decision to fill or not to fill to my surgeon unless I want to eat everything in sight and I stop losing :rolleyes:

I have to agree. I find no purpose to get a fill if you're still losing. Just having the thing makes me more conscience of everything I put in my mouth. I'm not interested to find out what it's like to PB or get stuck.

:rolleyes: A fill doesn't seem necessary. If you decide, however, to get one, make it small, like .5cc. Each one of my fills was only 1cc and I have only had 2 in 7 months in a 10cc band. I was lucky, like you, and had some restriction just from having the band placed. This means you will probably be sensitive to fills, so take it slow.

P.S. since you have a stomach that is sensitive to being messed with also, if you have any surgery near your abdomen get an unfill even if you are told you don't need it. I had a hysterectomy in December and was told by my band surgeon and the gyn that I didn't need to get unfilled. BIG MISTAKE. I became too tight and started pbing and couldnt unfill, because I had a new incision close to my port, so I didn't want it pushed on to unfill it. I was too tight for a month and was NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!:scared2:

I was banded on 1/14 and have felt restriction from day one. I went in on Thursday for my post-op appt and possible fill, but didn't get one. I am choosing to be conservative in my fills and my doctors are supporting me on this. As long as I'm losing and my hunger is under control, I'm fine. I'm not even focusing on how much I can eat (I am watching it and keeping within the guidelines and am content with my 1/2 cup to 1 cup of food, but its not my focus...my feeling is that even if I can eat 1 1/2 cups of food, if I'm still losing, I'm losing!) I did not get a fill this time because I've not been stuck at all and I don't ever want to be!

Good luck!

Thanks for all the great replies!!! My initial feeling was to forego the fill as well and now I feel even more confident in that decision. If I start eating everything in sight and not feeling full, I will not get a fill until I think it's necessary. Thanks again!

Thanks for posting this. I had surgery on 1/13 and after recovery always felt some restriction. I am now on regular foods and am able to eat about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food. If I overeat I get some pain in my chest and it reminds me that I need to stop earlier. I go to the doctor on the 23rd and am debating about a fill. So far (as of last Thursday) I have lost 29 lbs so I am not sure I will do a fill. I think I will see what happens this week and if I don't loose any weight it may convince me to do a small fill. Any opinions or advice are appreciated.

Nice thread. I was banded last August and still haven't had a fill. I have had restriction from the beginning and can EASILY make myself sick if I'm not careful. My weight lost isn't as high as some folks but it just keeps coming off little by little. I have always been a VERY slow looser and I am thrilled with my progress! It is nice to know that there are others out there that have had restriction from the beginning. At one time, I almost had myself talked into believing something was wrong with my band or I would need a fill. We're all different but it's nice to hear of other similar to yourself. :rolleyes: Forego the fill.

Take your time and your body will tell you what to do.I too had really good restriction from day one and lost the majority of my weight thus far in the first 2 months.I had one fill of .5cc at 5 weeks.Then all of a sudden in between one visit to the next I was getting hungrier more often and consuming more at one sitting.So when I saw my surgeon last Wed I knew it was time for a fill(I only lost 2lbs from last visit one month prior):rolleyes:

So after having an extremely hard time locating my port and being stuck 5 to 6 times(with the fill needle) they found my port.The Doc pull's out 3 cc's? I was told my band was placed empty! And why the other Doc didn't find the other cc's when he gave me the .5cc?? So she gave me back the 3cc's and added 1 cc.So now I have 4 cc's total when I thought I had .5cc!:cursing:Very confusing!!

I had a really rough time after the fill.It was super tight.I also had a cold and TOM! So I'll never do that all together again-lesson learned.It's been 4 days and I'm feeling better just waiting to see how this restriction will be and hopefully the scale will start to move again.

So take it from me who had that "honeymoon" period of early restriction ride it out and let your body tell you what it needs! Because it will!! This isn't a race!!(I have to remind myself that all the time!!)Just sit back & enjiy the ride!! Great job thus far!! Pat yourself on the back!! :thumbup:Hope all this blabbing helps!! LOL :scared2:

GREAT advice, thank you to everyone who replied, I REALLY appreciate it. That being said, my husband and I have discussed all the comments and other things. We are going to Disney World in May, and I want to be unfilled before we go. The last thing I need to worry about is being too restricted while constantly on the go (at least my thought..any advice on this?). So, I am going to get the smallest fill possible on Tuesday and see how my body reacts. I really want to lose as much weight as I can before we go (May 24th) and I think by getting filled (a little at a time) I will lose faster.

I'm also curious to see if my body reacts well and quickly to this fill. I keep going back and forth on this and have until Tuesday to officially decide...although right now the decision is to get the fill...ugh..sorry to be so indecisive..but I am a woman...LOL :thumbup:

We are going to Disney World in May, and I want to be unfilled before we go. The last thing I need to worry about is being too restricted while constantly on the go (at least my thought..any advice on this?).

I'm not sure that this is a good idea. I hope someone comes along who has been filled and went on vacation because as you are aware I am not filled. But if it was me there would be no way if I had a fill I would get unfilled just because I was going on vacation. Please do not take this the wrong way but if you are filled at that time and have good comfortable restriction and you are losing why would you want to risk it? You can still eat food in Disney that will not affect your weight or restriction and exercise well you will be doing a lot of walking I am sure. This is my opinion and I am no expert because like you I am recently banded. I really would like to know what others think. I hope that I was not too mean it's not my intention. Honestly I just want you to be as successful as you can be with the band and I believe you can go on vacation being filled and have a great time.

I agree, take it slow. I have not had any pbing, up chucking, etc. on purpose because I am being extra cautious. While I may not be loosing as much as others who had surgery around my date, I am very happy with where I am and how much I have accomplished. I am due for a fill, actually for about two weeks, but I am going on a cruise next week and do not want to have any issues so I will not get a fill and just be aware of what I eat. Good luck and hang in there.

Hi Colorado! I would totally wait. I'm like you, feeling restriction in an unfilled band. I'm one week post-op and to be honest, I'm looking forward to not being so tight. My doctor recommends a fill 6 weeks post-op, so we'll see how it goes, but I'm inclined to not get one.

If you're losing, and feel good, leave things the way they are. :rolleyes:

So after having an extremely hard time locating my port and being stuck 5 to 6 times(with the fill needle) they found my port.The Doc pull's out 3 cc's? I was told my band was placed empty! And why the other Doc didn't find the other cc's when he gave me the .5cc?? So she gave me back the 3cc's and added 1 cc.So now I have 4 cc's total when I thought I had .5cc!:cursing:Very confusing!!

I have just finished reading the Lap Band Solution, and it mentioned that they have to bleed the air from the band when they put it in, so some Fluid is placed in the band in order for that to happen. Could that be where your 3 ccs came from? I am just guessing because that sounds weird. I wonder what the standard/clinical amount of Fluid for this process would be. 3ccs sounds like a lot when talking about fills, but the volume is pretty small. I don't know if it would take all of that to push the air out or not. Glad you're OK now, though.