Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Were you hungry in the 1st week postop?

Just wondering if anyone else was starving on the liquid postop stage. I'm on full liquids and am 5 days postop. I had absolutely no appetite at all for the first few days and no suddenly I'm ravenous. I'm so hungry. I keep reading threads about new postops not being hungry and I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that is. I can't wait until I can eat again. I mean my stomach is growling. I have 3 cc's in a 14 cc band that was put in at the time of surgery. Will this get better once I get some solids or not until I get proper restriction?

I also was hungry about that time post-op but it went away. I was able to accelerate my post-op diet (always was a fast healer-dr. approved of course) and dont know if I could've lasted on liquids longer than I did. By the time I got to eat cottage cheese, really my hunger went away significantly. Hang in there, you're doing GREAT!

I came to in recovery hungry so I totally feel your pain. They call it "bandster hell" and it really was for me. I sat at one point and held a can of refried Beans and cried, I was so hungry. BUT I made it. My doc wouldn't even allow Protein shakes for the 1st week, just "broth" and Water. Once I could have the shakes it improved (a little...I was hungry but not so "la la land" feeling) and by mushies I was human again. Hang in there!

(I too have a 14 cc band that had nothing in it except some "primer" that my doc said doesn't count...maybe that's part of it?)

I was in week 3 on the liquid diet when i became hungry, so i up my water/ orange squash & went for walks with my hubby, try & do other things to take your mind of it...it will be so worth it, im on my 2nd day of soft foods & its heaven

I am 5 days post op also, and I am on "full" liquids. I find that the thing that keeps me most full is Cream of chicken Soup (without the chicken). I haven't really been starving, and if I find that I am hungry I try to determine if it's my head or my belly. I also make sure that I am drinking at least 8 cups of Water a day. Are you getting in all of your water?

I am now 12 days post op, starting to feel really quite 'healed up' at this point.

Just a little port pain left, no more gas, shoulder pains, or exhaustion, and went back at work without problem.

And along with that comes hunger! Fortunately, my doc permits both Protein shakes and pureed foods during the first two weeks, so keeping myself from becoming ravenous is a bit easier.

I do remember those first few days after banding as being a little strange, because even though my stomach area was sore, I was definitely hungry. broth and cream Soups took the edge off for a while (amazing how good that stuff tastes during this time!), but it wasn't until I started adding the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein powder to the broth that I stayed full longer. Since day 3 I have been successful in consuming at least 60 grams of Protein per day, and I really think it had a lot do to with my quick healing process. Daily Calcium and multi-Vitamins helped too, along with walking on the treadmill.

This week I move on to mushies, hooray! I spent about an hour food shopping last night, stocking up on things that will help keep me on the right track during this next two-week phase.

Last night I did go 'off plan' a bit- cooked DH his favorite baked haddock, mashed sweet potato and steamed broccoli dinner for V-day. I did puree the potato and broccoli before I ate it, but the fish was so flaky I found that with just chewing it very thoroughly I was fine. I did get a chuckle out of comparing our portion sizes; I used a dessert plate for my small servings, and he filled his plate twice! (Of course he is one of those people who can eat anything without putting on a pound, and his work keeps him on his feet and moving all day, so I hate him!)

I can totally relate to the folks who gaze longingly at the can of refried Beans... I picked up a few last night, and can't wait to whip them up with a little salsa for a real mush flavor treat!

Good luck to all the other bandsters out there, especially those who are struggling with pain or hunger... it really does get better! Hang in there and keep coming back here for the support and information you need. The experienced folks have so much to offer, I don't think I would be having the same positive experience without this resource.

take care, and keep up the good work!

These posts are a life saver. I was banded on the 9th and then rebanded on the 10th because the 1st was to tight. I feel full and gases. I am doing my Protein Shakes and making sure I am getting enough in me. I find it extremely hard to keep drinking when I am so full so I am taking little drinks at a time. I am walking on the treadmill throughout the day.

I'm on day 11 and I have no restrictions at all. I feel I can eat anything with no problems. The creamed Soups help me the most but I do not strain them, because there is no restriction. Actually, this weekend was really bad for me and I ate too much stuff...I will start anew this evening!!

I was so hungry post-op that I was actually doubling over in pain. What I found so strange was that I was already on a liquid diet two weeks prior to sugery. My body was already used to the restricted diet yet still I was starving. The good news is once you get on mushies the hunger pains should go away. I still get hungry but nothing like the pain of those first 10 days after surgery. Hang in there!

I got really, really sick from the liquid diet about three days after the banding. My protien Soups hadn't come in (I ordered them too late) and was trying to live off of pudding, Jello and chicken broth. Then on the seventh day, I began to feel sick again, so I called the nurse and she had me eat a scrambled egg and some grated cheeze (for the sodium and carbs). She said to be very, very careful and to only swallow things that were chewed to as much as possible. I felt alot better after that. No sickness now. I wonder why some doctors want you to be on a liquid diet before the surgery, and some want you to stay on the liquids for a month afterwards? I'm glad that my doctor adjusted my food intake to my personal needs. I didn't tell him, but I was ready to have the band removed because I felt like I was going to die if I didn't get nutrition. Everything seems to be fine now though.

I'm curious, is everyone losing about a pound a day at this point?

Edited by justgottabeme

I wonder why some doctors want you to be on a liquid diet before the surgery, and some want you to stay on the liquids for a month afterwards?

I don't know about the timing (like 1 month liquids post op) but I THINK the preop thing is to shrink the liver (many obese people have big livers and that makes the band harder to place) and post op is to prevent exuberant digestion and allow the band time to heal in place. Any time we eat (chew stuff, not liquids) our stomach churns to help digest the chyme (what they call food once it's been ingested) That churning (we don't feel it, but it does physically MOVE) can displace the band until it's well healed. So you're lucky the nurse relented and helped you out, but that's why she said to chew it very very well. My doc didn't want me having anything solid, not matter how well chewed, until week 3. I have a pill that MUST be taken with food (potassium) and I just went without it for the first 2 weeks post op!

There's a set of really informative videos on youtube (Dr. Ortiz) that explains the liquids thing pretty well. If you type in "Dr. Ortiz - Why 21 days of liquids after surgery" you can see it. It gives the band time to heal with as little interference as possible. Eating solid foods can stretch the pouch out and can possibly set a person up for a future band slippage. To put the band in, they cut a hole through the outer layer of the stomach, then string the band through it. It's not just around the outside of the stomach like some people think. Dr. Ortiz has a cool video on youtube that shows the surgery (all except the port part). It's under "Dr. Ortiz - Live Lap Band Surgery - 5 Minute Surgery Explained"

Edited by justgottabeme

I am starving, sooooo hungry.

I had surgery Thursday, so I have to make it through today and two more days before I can anything other than Clear Liquids. I get to have Protein Gelatin, which I try to have at least once a day because I think it sticks around a little longer than the drinks.

I can't wait for Thursday when I can have Protein shakes and pudding again.

I'm struggling with hunger one week post-op. I'm on Clear Liquids for 2 weeks, then mushies for 2 weeks, then solids. Boy I can't wait for mushies! I have been eating an egg every now and then, I don't eat the whole thing just a couple of bites, but it helps. The Protein shakes I choke down, because honestly I'm sorta sick of them, but I admit that the Protein does help keep me satisfied.

I've already lost 9 lbs (in 8 days). I haven't gone back to work yet (tomorrow, and I'm nervous) so I'm curious how to handle the hunger/gas/etc while working...I'll find out soon!

Same as you, had surgery last fri so it's been 4 days I guess. I'm starving so I asked doctor today if i can try applesauce or creamy Soups or yogurt & he said if I can eat it without being nautious or sick...go for it.