Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know I know there are like a zillion posts on here about alcohol and how bad the calories are and everything.

But I have to go to my friends 21st birthday party next week and I was wondering, how long did everyone wait until after surgery to drink alcohol?

I am not planning on taking shots or drinking in excess, but it would be nice to have a glass of wine with everyone. I handle my liquor really well, and I am very cautious not to overdo things even when I was in college.

So please, be honest and let me know how long you waited.. no judgments here...

Thanks!

No way on earth would I have had any liquor as soon post op as that would be for you. Not flaming, either; I like to drink. But you only got your band on 2/2...don't know where you'll be on your post op diet (for me, I'd have been in full liquids, or mushies, depending on day of diet). You had an artificial device placed around part of your stomach. Your liver (where alcohol is processed) was moved and jostled so that it could be placed. You need to give everything a chance to settle down, heal from any bruising, etc. To drink too soo would be really counterproductive.

Many docs say 6 months (or never...) I didn't wait that long. I did, however, wait 3 months.

You should call your surgeon to be sure (they are all different) but I think it would be smart to give it longer than 2-3 weeks.

I am no Dr. and I am sure that any one would tell me this was bad, but I have had wine on numerous occassions since my 1/12 surgery date. I only consumed one glass of white wine at each occasion, ( couldn't have tolerated more) but honestly, I still lost weight, and it actually relaxed me.

I expect to be flamed for this, but, would hope that perhaps you'll be kind!

Wow! Alcohol after being post-op for about what 2 or maybe 3 weeks??? I don't know about that and I did not do that.

I had wine for New Years Eve and to be honest it really went straight to my head. I was banded on 11/11/08.

What does your doctor think about this?

Can you slip a small bottle of either white grape or regular grape juice into the party, and pour it in your glass? Heck, grape juice tastes better than some wines anyway. RM, brought up some very good points about your liver. Unless your doctor gives you the okay, I wouldn't drink until you're completely healed. I had a glass of wine after three months.

I would say absolutely not.

If you are SERIOUS about this whole process, you need to begin to make the right choices.

For a LOT of people who are obese, much of the problem comes down to them having made BAD decisions.....eating the WRONG things at the WRONG time in the WRONG amount, for long periods of time. You need to begin making the RIGHT decisions. Alcohol is NEVER conducive to weight loss. And, even a small amount may impair your judgement further, causing you to drink more, and even eat some stuff you shouldn't.

Start making GOOD decisions.

my doc and nurse told us that we will get drunk a lot faster - reason - stomach is little -- he said to have a glass of wine or one drink without mixing it with coke or anything carbonated -- the only problem I see is that you were banded 2/2 -- Clear Liquids -- would wine qualify? I would call the office and ask

Boy tough crowd.

I spent the first several days after surgery recuperating at the home of a dear friend, also a wine lover and collector. I was on a clear liquid diet and decided that white wine was a clear liquid- and allowed myself half a glass of white wine each night starting on post-op day 2. :thumbup: Worked for me.

Life is about balance and moderation.

my doc and nurse told us that we will get drunk a lot faster - reason - stomach is little -- he said to have a glass of wine or one drink without mixing it with coke or anything carbonated -- the only problem I see is that you were banded 2/2 -- clear liquids -- would wine qualify? I would call the office and ask

Twirl, I think that's bypass you're thinking of. Our stomachs are the same size; the band just causes food to hang out at the TOP of it longer than usual (once we're restricted) but it doesn't go on through to the intestines etc any faster.

We may get drunk faster as our body weights decrease, but our stomachs are intact.

And Susan1961 most of us were pretty nice about drinking, not "tough"....it IS safer for your liver if you wait a bit before drinking. Glad to know that so far that didn't hurt you any, but OP should ask her surgeon for guidance! :thumbup:

In response to everyone here who thinks I am irresponsible...

Like I said before, I KNOW KNOW KNOW all about the wasted calories and everything.

I do make good decisions, thank you.

I was just curious as to how long everyone else waited, not because if someone said they waited two weeks that'd be enough clearance for me, but because I am honestly curious as to what other doctors say. I would never go against the advice of my surgeon, so I am doing what she says.

Thank you to those of you who were honest with the way you have handled things, really I appreciate it.

So, like I asked before, please do not judge me and don't assume that I am drinking.

Peace.

Edited by laurr925

I was just curious as to how long everyone else waited, not because if someone said they waited two weeks that'd be enough clearance for me, but because I am honestly curious as to what other doctors say. .

my dr. said moderation at my second fill - think that was 8wks out.

I don't drink so it doesn't affect me so much.

I can tell you that post banding you will definitely affect you more because you are eating less. It is the same concept as drinking after dinner or before dinner . . . one glass of wine feels a whole lot different depending on what else you have ingested that day.

I would suggest giving it a little more time, or if you do drink, just limit it to one non-carbonated small beverage like a small glass of wine. You can always have juice instead.

I had my first drink 15 days post op. I've had a total of two other drinks since then. As others have indicated, my doctor's office cautioned about the empty calories in alcohol. I planned the calories into my daily total. And, yes, I did feel the effects of the alcohol much sooner.

You know, it's amazing how long you can nurse a drink - particularly a glass of wine. Enjoy the party with your friends. And decide what works best for your new lifestyle.

Best wishes.

Edited by irishgal