Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

decided not to fill

I just wondered if this has happened to anyone else. I was banded in Nov. and have had 2 fills. Today was supposed to be my third fill. In the past month, I have lost 12 pounds. When I went to my doctor to be filled today, he asked me a few questions, regarding my diet, my choices and then told me he wasn't going to fill me today because he felt that I was making good food choices and was losing weight and although I was hungry, he felt that I didn't need the fill. I was very surprised and somewhat blown away because I think that I looked forward to relying on the fill to help me through the month. That is the reason I had this procedure done, since I have failed before on so many diets. He said that I could come back whenever I needed to for the fill ( in a week, or two) if I really felt I should. I then asked him, so if someone just continues to lose the weight, makes good food choices, they don't need fill? He said no, they wouldn't. You could just think of the band as a safety net. I am very confused now. He also said had I come in and told him when I was hungry instead of choosing a yogurt, I had eaten a whole pizza, he would of done the fill. Very confusing.

Edited by thinner09

I have had 3 fill appointments, but only got a fill (of 0.6 cc in a 4 cc band) on the first one. When the time came for my second one, I had pretty much decided that I didn't want one. I was losing steadily, was finding myself able to make good food choices, and could only eat about a cup of food at a sitting, as long as I ate solid Proteins. Yes, I would get a bit hungry between meals, but it was bearable. I even welcomed the hunger because it was "real" hunger, and I could either have a low-calorie snack or just wait about 20 minutes and it would pass. I also liked the fact that I didn't have any "problem" foods as long as I chewed things well. My doctor agreed that I didn't need a fill. The same thing happened at my third appointment - we both decided that I didn't need a fill. There are some times when I wish I was a bit more restricted - when the head hunger wins out - but those times are really getting farther and farther apart, and I am more and more able to recognize head hunger for what it is and put it in its place. I think I kind of look at my band in the same way as your doctor does - as a safety net. A couple of months down the line, if my weight loss stalls or I'm just having a hard time making the good choices, I can choose to have that safety net tightened, to do a little more of the work for me.

You said that you had lap band done because you have failed before on so many diets. But you are most certainly NOT failing now. 12 pounds in one month is incredible! YOU are making the good choices and doing the things you need to keep losing. When you find yourself starting to slip back into bad eating habits - IF that happens - you can go back for a fill. I think your doctor's approach is right on the money!

Keep up the great work!

Thank you for your reply, and congratulations on your successful weight loss! Your kind words of support really help me stay motivated and on track. After I left his office, I felt almost set up for failure since I didn't really understand completely how the band works. I wanted it to do all the work for me, always. Which I realize was unrealistic since I need to continue on after the weight loss is reached and make my own choices and not rely on restriction. I have also read that it is a fine line between the band working well and being too tight. The doctor said he would be afraid to give me a fill this time because he might cause an obstruction and be too tight. I am glad for his decision now and thankful for wonderful people on this website. Thank you.

Congratulations on your loss this month 12 pounds is fantastic :smile:

Second, I do think that when someone is clipping right along with the loss sometimes doctors are hesitant to add more because he doesn't want you to get overfilled and have problems.

It was so good to read your post. I am at the point of my third fill too and I am a little worried about getting it. I still feel I have restriction and don't find myself hungry. I am not gaining any weight but not losing any weight in the last 6 weeks either so I probably do need a small tweak with a fill.

For the most part, I think fills are over used by many and that some docs aren't as aggressive with the fills as they should be and that is why we see people on here with 5-10 fills.

I guess the biggest reason I am scared of a 3rd fill is because i have had problems with PBing since being first banded and don't want to make it worse. I realize that since this is a constant issue for me and even with no fill, that it is probably due to my own issues such as eating too fast and too big of bites. I guess I will just have to watch closer this time.

Good Luck!

You are fortunate to be losing and only having had 2 fills. I am on my 7th fill and still having problems losing weight. I'm down about 48lbs in 8 months. Congrats on your super loss.

I agree the less you rely on the band, the better! Less likelihood of complications and less likelihood of failure IF complications occur and you need the band out or unfilled. You are building good habits and doing FANTASTIC. Congratulations!