Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Slipped again - remove or Vertical Sleeve

Hi All,

I hope I might be able to find some help in a decision of whether to have my band removed or have it converted to Vertical Sleeve. (I can't bring myself to do Bypass and my husband is VERY against Bypass due to a friend having severe complications.) My band has slipped three times and I am facing my fourth surgery. For some reason every time I get the stomach flu and get sick... my band slips. I have had my band for two years and most of that time it has been unfilled due to a slip, unfilled due to post op or minor fill due to going slow on fills. I have managed to lose 55 pounds and keep it off, but I can't keep having slips every time I am sick. I have two children at two different schools and my husband and I both work so there are lots of opportunities for germs to come into our house.

Do others that have the band slip so easily? I liked the fact that the band was relatively unintrusive, but I have feel it is time to do something that will not cause me to have surgery every 9 months. Luckily my insurance has covered the cost to date, but I see them refusing if this keeps happening.

I have had two different surgeons (both work at the same practice) and both are in a Center of Excellence and have a good reputation. I am beginning to think there is just something wrong with my stomach and it doesn't like the band.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Donna

that is crazy! What do your docs think? If the lapband is supposed to be forever what are the chances of getting a stomach bug in a life time? Did they sew the lapband to your stomach? I heard they do that now. I havent got the lapband yet. So I cant help but Im defenetly gonna ask my doc about what you have said. God Bless and I hope you get what is best for you.

Hi marmar,

Yes the doctor did sew the band quite well to the stomach. In fact the last surgery I had was with the second surgeon and when I went in this time he was greatly surprised it had slipped again as he was very careful to suture the band to the stomach.

Good luck on your journey!

Hmm, you'd have to suspect some sort of anatomical anomoly although you'd think the surgeon would have noticed that when he was in there. Perhaps its just monumental bad luck.

I *think* I'd at least consider a sleeve after that many slips. But the thing is, band problems are a pain, expensive and possibly dangerous yes, but you've recovered each time. The thought of what could go wrong if you busted a staple line, once half your stomach is gone, is not a good one.

But I dont know a lot about the sleeve, so perhaps that's not even a reasonable fear?

hi

l would be very interested in what are the signs of slippage, l have had problems with my band suddenly tightening for no reason

hope you can reply to me here in the uk

thankyou wendy

Each time that I have had a slipped band my main symptom was severe acid reflux at night. This would happen several times every night even if I was sleeping with my head elevated. This last time my band became so tight I could not even drink liquids. Once the fill is removed from my band the symptoms go away, but my band remains slipped unless I have surgery to repair it.

I wish you luck and hope your band is still where it is supposed to be. If I learned anything from this experience it is to see my doctor right away if I suspect a problem and keep asking questions until I know what is happening with my band. With me they have done a barium swallow each time to diagnose the problem.

hi

thankyou for your reply, thats what happened to me l had terrible reflux at night, had an emergency defill of 0.5ml symptons dissapeared staight away, have since had two fills of 0.25ml each, the reflux did start again has settled a little always in the background l cannot eat at night or l will be up,

my surgeon wondered if its slippage l hope not , l wouldnt do as well as l am at the moment would l

thankyou wendy