Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

overeating on soups

im one week post op and have been pigging out literally on soups.I have been so hungry and have been eating double helpings of Soups until i feel sick.

what is the matter with me?,can i do damage to my new band by being such a pig?,im not eating solids but am really giving my soups a workout.:cursing:,so angry at myself,feel like im destined to be fat forever

I am not sure that you will do much damage with Soups but you need to get this behavior under control before you go on solids.

Do you measure one serving of Soup then go back for a second serving or do you take too much right off? I put the correct serving of food on a small plate and wrap and refrigerate what is remaining. If after eating that, I feel like I want seconds I make myself wait, I remind myself that I can have more when I am hungry again and the urge usually passes.

Otherwise, do you have access to a counseling to see if you can figure out how to control this? It may be stress or boredom. A counselor may be able to help you identify triggers that cause you to keep eating when you are full. My surgeon explained that many people need this along with the band to be sucessful. I know that it is very hard to make these changes but if you stay strong and stick with it, it does get easier.

You didn't mention protien shakes. Are you having any of those? They make a huge difference and should keep you satisfied. I like the Unjury unflavored added to sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast, mixed with skim milk. About 35g of protien, pretty yummy and should make you feel satisfied.

You're in Australia, so I am assuming no Protein shakes (I know many of your doctors don't want them).

I would not worry about damaging your band with Soup.< /p>

The first month is hard, because there is often no restrictive feelings. Do the best you can until your first fill and go from there.

But try to watch and measure, because soup, and in a few days, the mushy stage, are easy places to trick yourself. You think you are eating well because you eat less than you did when you gained weight, but you are still eating a lot.

It takes time to get the band adjusted to the right place, so just watch it and you'll be fine.

I don't believe Soups will damage a band. It is the solids you need to stay away from when your in recovery mode and you are staying away from solids.

Will your doctor allow you to have liquid Protein, so you can get full and be satisfied?

I too am one week out today. I still feel hungry after I eat my breakfast lunch or dinner. I have to wait two hours before I can have my Protein. So I try real hard to wait it out. Then when I start drinking my protein I feel so much better.

They call the first few weeks post op "Bandster Hell" and this is the reason; no restriction yet, for most of us, but HUNGER! And it is hard to assuage hunger with liquids; our body doesn't recognize liquids as "food". Hang in there! As long as you are following your physician's guidelines as to what you're eating (ie no solids too early) you'll be fine.

Once you can eat, and then as you get restriction, it WILL become much easier. Just hang in there, do the best you can, and use this time to heal. And once you are on softs and solids follow your instructions about chewing well, restrictions on drinking with meals, etc. You'll make it!

I don't think you are going to damage your band by doing this. As long as you are following your post-op diet guidelines, you are in good shape bandwise.

Protein shakes are helpful as others suggested. They help you to feel more full and satisfied.

If I were you, I would handle it this way. Have a single serving of Soup and force yourself to wait at least 30 minutes before you allow yourself another serving. If you still want it after 30 minutes . . . then you are probably still physically hungry. Also, don't allow yourself to go back for another serving unless you drink a full 8 ounce glass of Water in between.

This kind of breaks it up into manageable chunks of time. You don't want to stay in the habit of overeating just because you are used to it. However, if you are truly physically hungry . . . I don't think you should deprive yourself completely. Also extra Water is healthy for you and might help assuage some of those hunger pangs.

Last but certainly not least . . . it is important to evaluate how you are thinking about this. In your post you say things like being destined to be fat forever, or pigging out. This negative self talk just makes you feel guilty or even powerless over the situation. You need to let go of the guilt and know that you do have control over what you chose to eat.

You are now physically different than you were prior to being banded. You have a tool to help you and you need to change your mindset to make it work. You want to move towards having a more normal relationship with food . . . and beating yourself up over soup will harm more than help you.

If you are physically hungry, you eat something healthy and appropriate for the stage of your banding diet and then there is no reason for guilt. If you are only "head" hungry and battling the demons of food addiction, then do your best to get through small battles in small increments of time.

This is the hardest stage of banding and it only gets easier from here. You can do this, and you know you can because you took the step to be banded. Have a little faith and believe in yourself.