Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Home Excercise Options

I was just wondering how many of you here workout at home and what you do. Do you use videos or equipment? Have you had success with it?

I've been going to the gym but I don't know if that's really for me as it's usually so busy and I'd just like to do something from the comfort of my own home.

Just seeing if anyone has any ideas for me :angry:

I own a home gym weight training set, an elipticle, an ab lounger, & a dumbell set and between the 4 I can get a good full body workout. I try to do 4-6 days a week.

I have an elliptical, recumbent bike, glider and Wii fit. I try and get 30 minutes of exercise a day, but lately I've been slacking. Time to get back in the groove. I also have several exercise DVD's.

For a matter of convenience, and because I don't like to share my toys with strangers, I have a very nice treadmill that I utilize 5X a week any time of the day or night at my home.

I have lots of videos and I am gearing up to utilize my yoga DVD, I just need to dust it off.

I also have utilized Sparkpeople.com how to exercise videos. It's a free service.

I have had great success, more so than when I at the gym. Really, home workout just fit better into my busy schedule. And it save me money.

Edited by TQUAD64

I'm a dedicated home worker, I dont hate the gym but I dont find it very convenient. I also think half the time in many gyms what the trainers give you to do is a complete waste of time, they're still indoctrinated in the old low intensity cardio routine, and you get the exact same workout as everyone else there, unless you've got a really good trainer. Start the fatties off with treadmill walking and a few machines that work the big muscles of the body, you know the routine. It used to annoy the crap out of me, I wanted support, I wanted to WORK but they just didnt have the knowledge - I knew more myself.

Since I bought myself a treadmill I've never looked back. My weekly schedule changes around, i do what I want but the past week is a good example:

Sunday: Cardio Coach Vol. 8 - 62 minutes, 850 calories burned, 5.5 miles (including long stretches of running at 6 mph up an incline of 5) - www.cardiocoach.com

Monday: home circuit using treadmill and a 10kg sandbag - mixed sets of exercises (squats, lunges, dips, pushups, various core work, chest press, lat pull down all using the sandbag instead of a barbell - MUCH harder and recruits all your stablising muscles - google sandbag workouts and see!) that was an hour

Tuesday: day off

Wednesday: ran 5km to school (my daughter wanted to ride her bike) then ran 5km home. 8km walk that night with DH. Spent a big part of the day sunbaking at the beach :-)

Thursday: still hot, went to the pool. Swam 40 laps of the 50m pool (outdoor pool too, lovely), sunbaked for a few hours. Getting nice and brown! Did a circuit that night again, this time at the playground with the kids - used playground equipment to do stuff like chin ups, pull ups (assisted ones), swung on the monkey bars, practiced getting up onto the monkey bars (GREAT shoulder and core strengthening and yes, I can still swing my legs up and get on a monkeybar at 41!), in between running the 300 metre perimieter with my 50lb daughter having a piggyback - HARD work!

Friday: Cardio Coach vol 6 on treadmill - bit easier than 8, 40 minutes, 7kms.

Saturday: 10km walk with DH.

Sunday: nothing.

Now, I've built up to that over a period of 3 years. That probably sounds intimidating for someone just starting out. But it is possible to get there, and it shows its possible to get awesome workouts without ever going near a gym. I am so fit these days I feel ready to just burst out of my skin, its a wonderful feeling.

Theres some GREAT DVD's I want to get too - Cathe's Intensity series looks good, some good circuit type workouts there, I have Jari Love's Ripped to the core, which is a great workout - if you visit www.collagevideo.com rather than just your local Kmart or whatever, there's some really serious DVD's around that offer awesome workouts.

Friday

I bought a spin bike and have ridden it pretty religiously at least 3 times a week since I've been banded. I exercise once my kids are in bed.

I agree with Jachut that a lot of gym trainers are worthless.

But I am not confident (or educated) enough to do it myself. So I joined a triathlon club and now I'm participating in coached workouts. I had my first one tonight. We did intervals at the track. Tomorrow I'll do drills in the pool with the swim coach. Sat. I'll do a coached bike ride.

I'm still just a beginner in exercising, so maybe what I do will be a little more to your speed. I went and bought a really good treadmill at sears last month when they were all on sale. 12mo no interest or payments on a Sears card. When I first started I could only do about 15 minutes at about 3mph before I about died. Now I'm up to 35 minutes at 3.5 mph with about 5 minute warm up and cool down on top of that at about 3mph, all with an incline of 3. I noticed today this was starting to get easier too, so I'm going to start some short intervals of jogging and walking fast next week. My knees are a little sore, but I know it's worth it and I have to do it. It's not bad enough to have to take something. It's a hoot to see my 2yo get on the treadmill when I'm done. He's always got to have a turn too!!:)

I've got a couple of 5lb weights I use for my arms after I'm done with my cardio. I can go to the gym here at work, but I think I'll save that for when I've lost a little more weight. I'd like to start doing some more weight training as time progresses. I've been doing this 5 times a week for the past month.

I bought the Turbo Jam workout DVDs last month. I love them. They are fun and don't seem like exercising.

I am with Jachut. I have a treadclimber and I use it when the weather is not so nice. Most of the time I walk outdoors twice a day for an hour. We live in the country. I also like the Leslie Sansone videos. She has a new one that is a 4 mile. I love it because it works your upper body too. I have 30 more pounds to go and I am thinking of jogging soon. I think I can do it. I will start out slow. I broke my ankle 11 years ago and I dont want to reinjure it. That's how I got as high as I did. I feel so good when I walk, Its not just for exercise I pray, think and get to be by myself. It's great.

Good Luck Everyone.

i was banded in december and have just started exercising at home. I walk 5 days a week for 45 min. when i first started i was at 20 minutes, but over the last 3 weeks i have built up to 45 min. on the two days a week i dont walk i try to do some strength training....like some curls with some dumbells and crunches....and leg lifts with ankle weights. i would like to purchase a treadmill soon so i have no excuse even when its raining....saving up for that :tt2:

good luck...its hard to get started, but once you have a routine--like exercising after work but before dinner every day or exercising once the kids are in bed your body gets used to the routine and it becomes kinda natural.

I have a proform elliptical, treadmill, and strength training machine. I also use the biggest loser dvds. I'm getting ready to start the bl boot camp again.

I don't have a personal gym but my apt. building has a gym in it. I go there and get on the treadmill. I'm not too concerned bout the muscle workouts..I'm more concerned with the cardio slash fat workouts. Hopefully,they're successful. I really haven't noticed the progress, but I know i'm progressing. Good luck! I think I'm going to try the Turbo Jam Dances! I love to dance..So, I just might find that a bit more useful.

I love the Turbo Jam. I ended up buying all of them. I also bought a set for my daughter and my Grandson loves them. It is like dancing in a way and doesn't feel like exercise. I can really tell the difference in the shape of my body. I find myself doing 1 to 3 routines and end up exercising for about an hour and 20 minutes. I have also hating exercising so this has been a huge shock for me. I have had a treadmill for about 8 years and it just gathers dust. For me, I have to like it or I will just make excuses to not do it.:)