Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet before the band??

I am planning to get banded in the beginning of Oct. I am trying to lose some of the weight before then. I know I will be banded the rest of my life, so should I diet now?

I guess part of me figures that it will give me a headstart on my weightloss, but the other part is saying "what are you nuts? eat while you can!" I don't know what to do, or what is healthiest before the surgery. Any input will help, thanks.confused.gif

Hey there,

I actually HAVE to lose weigth before I can get my band. My surgeon wants me to lose between 30-40lbs and then schedule. I don't think it is a bad thing to start changing your habits for the better prior to the band. It is one of the only things that the nutritionist said to me that was worth the co-pay and the time.

Most doctors will say that they want you to lose some before doing the surgery because they want your liver to shrink a bit. Since they have to push the liver around a bit to get the band in there, any little bit helps.

That being said, I didn't HAVE to diet before surgery but I did and I was glad that my little seven pound loss was a super kick start for this whole process.

By the way, get it out of your mind that you have to "eat while you can". All those foods you love are still available to you. You're still able to eat them. You will simply be satisfied with less.

Angie,

I have to say that my doc didn't require a pre-surgery diet, and I didn't do one. As someone else pointed out, you can still have almost every food after getting your band. Losing weight will definitely be easier after you get the band. So why torture yourself early?

What I would recommend doing, if you just want to get started, is start putting your fork down between bites, and chew everything to death. Eat your Protein first, then veggies, then starch if you have any room left over. And stop drinking liquids at the time you take the first bite, and don't drink again for an hour after you finish eating.

If you start to implement those bandster rules, you will probably lose weight anyway, and you won't go into the experience feeling deprived and sorry for yourself. (been there, done that)

Good luck....you are going to love your band!

Kathy

I have definitely gotten over the "I will never have this again" plan. It was like 2 weeks of non-stop "I should have this because I will never be able to eat it again" and then I realized just how bad I was doing.

I however, do have to diet. I am looking forward to it. I am going to do partial liquids so that I can try out all kinds of protien shakes and get ready for my four week liquid plan required by my doc. I am hoping it will be motivating to get a weight loss jumpstart :)

My Dr. did NOT require a pre op diet so I ate every meal as it was my last for a month thinking I would never be able to enjoy food again, I couldnt of been more wrong. I still to this day enjoy food, all the foods I ate pre band except on occassion bread and Pasta and rice. . Do what your head & heart tell you, only you know the answer to the question :)

I guess I do need to get rid of the " Eat while you can!" attitude. I do feel like I might be losing a good friend going into this, but I know I need to do this for myself. I think I am going to try to get some weight off before my surgery. I am pretty good at taking it off, it's gaining it back that's doosy! I think it might help distract me and help the time pass faster until my date comes. Plus I am sure it will help me get into the right frame of mind for losing the weight afterwards.

It always is nice to be able to get honest answers here. It does make me feel better to know that I won't be having my "last supper" and that I will still be able to have some of the foods I like...even if it's a little less of it.

i made my decision in may to get this done and i have been going through the usual insurance ropes...i have to do a 7 day liquid diet preband which i am really really nervous about..its not the not being able to eat part..its the energy level and working part i am worried about...anyways!! i have already began dieting..i dont eat out, i quit smoking, i quit drinking caffeine. i walk 2 miles a day...i feel great!! i cant imagine what i will feel like AFTER the band!!! good luck to you :)

The thing that's made me put off thoughts of a band for a while is this. A week or two ago, my doc thought I had some of the comorbidities of obesity (it turned out not to be so in, fact my blood could be used as a prime example of perfect cholesterol, HDL and LDL levels!) and given that I was about 38 kg overweight (BMI 35 exactly) pushed me to consider it. It seemed like a last salvation to me and for a while, I really wanted on, so I found myself eating like a pig to make sure I was "fat enough" when I got to the surgeon.

In the course of my research and particularly finding this board I've realised where the real struggle will be for me and its not with physical hunger - although I do realise what a tool the band can be and how you would need to use it - its with the head stuff. So I figured I may as well start fixing that right this minute, and funnily enough, in the last two weeks have lost significant weight and now fall below the BMI 35 as well. My insurance company will not pay for a perfectly healthy 34'er to have lap band surgery, so even though on lots of days I think "but it's only a matter of time, this latest attempt will fail too", fact is I dont have a choice so may as well try to go forward from here.

Two and a bit weeks in I've lost 5kg and am feeling really positive and strong but I plan to hang round here a bit just in case, plus I still find that though I dont have and wont have a band for the time being, there's still lots of wonderful positive information and learning to be done from you all.

Great Job quitting smoking. I have been smoke free for almost 11 months now. I feel great about it. That was a huge step for me in my Quest to get healthy. I also lost 70 pounds last year, but have since gained about 45 of it back.

I have learned that the "head stuff" is my thing too. I am a pro at losing weight, but I ALWAYS gain it back. I usually do Atkins because I am one of those people who like instant results. Atkins satisfies that for me. But as soon as I go off that diet I gain weight right away. In one week I have gained 12 lbs after quitting that diet. That's not even mentioning that I have a tendency to binge when I do break my diet. So I now have decided that I am doing the LapBand to help me keep it off. That is where I am the weakest.

Maybe knowing that I will be able to keep the weight off will help with the head stuff. I would be very happy a 34er right now.

Good Luck to you all. :)

I think it would be great if you could at "normally" before having your band. But I also think that most of us don't know what eating normally is!! Otherwise we wouldn't be where we are. I have actually promised myself that I will never diet again. I just want to learn to eat like a skinny person - that is - eat when hungry and stop when full and eat whatever my body tells me it needs instead of the emotion-charged food I automatically reach for (eg. chips, chocolate etc.). But when my body says "feed me chocolate" I will do that because I choose to never deny my body what it needs, and to never feel guilt over food again. Having said that, I ate everything that wasn't nailed down pre-op. My doc didn't require any eating plan pre-op and I certainly didn't start one!! I was glad to stop binging though, I never really enjoy it and the only thing I really remember tasting was the sushi - does anyone know how nori and the band mix? It seems a little tough and chewy to me! I guess my advice would be to eat whatever you want in what amounts you want but to try to taste and enjoy the food, and I think its a good idea to go a bit slower than normal if you can. But whatever you do dont beat yourself up about it - we have all done enough of that.

i won't be banded till next week, but my surgeon does not require a pre-op diet.