Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm ready to go... So do i wait?

Hello Fellow Lap Banders!

I just got approved by my insurance to get banded and I am soooo excited! :thumbup: I just called to make an appointment with the surgeon but there isn't any availability until May! I talked to my insurance company (I have an HMO) and they said there are only 3 doctors for me to choose from and they are all in the same association. So, I called the surgeon's office back to make an appointment with another doctor, and she also isn't open til May... And this is just for the consultation! Apparently, they are VERY popular bariatric surgeons, which is a good thing. But I am trying to stay motivated here, and May is just too far away. So, I asked for the third doctor on their team and lo and behold, he has an available appointment as early as next week! He recently joined their group last year. He graduated from med school in 2002 and completed his residency in 2007. He seems to have about 3 years experience total in bariatric/general surgery and his fellowship is in Advanced Laproscopic Surgery (what's fellowship? :confused:). And although the Lap Band is not his specialty, he does perform it. His specialty is in Bariatric & General Surgery. I also googled him and he doesn't seem to have any malpractice/complaints against him. I think my concern mainly is that he's too new.

Well I went ahead and scheduled the appointment with him. I was really excited to be able to get a consultation so soon and start the process already! But I am aware that it's all about the doctor's experience when it comes to any type of surgery. I would really like to get started with a surgeon now but I want to make the right decision as far as choosing the surgeon. Is he too new? He IS on a good team apparently, so am I being paranoid?

Aside from that, I am stoked about doing this. I have tried every diet and exercise method you can think of. And despite a few drops, my weight continues to climb. I've had 5 kids and after my last one, a year ago, I can't seem to lose the weight no matter what I do. It's like my metabolism just totally stopped. I've always been pretty slim growing up so now being 253 and 5'8", I'm at a point where I don't even want to leave the house. And I refuse to buy bigger clothes. I don't even know whose body this is, but I need to give it back :wink2:! I can't breathe, I can't cross my legs, I can't even suck in my belly like I used to.. it now comfortably overlaps my belts. How sad! :angry: I really am done being a fat girl. I dream of walking in to a store again and not having to look for the Woman's/Plus size section. I also dream of wearing clothes that fit and not clothes that cover my fat. Most of all, I want to have the energy to keep up with my kids and be healthy. And I'm ready for the boost I need to get my life back! I know it's a pretty simple procedure, and I gotta give up some food, and old habits, other than that I don't really know what to expect. But I'm ready to get banded! Let's do this!

**Your support & feedback is greatly appreciated**

I say go for it!

I think you can reasonably assume that the other doctors there did not hire a quack to join their successful team.

He will more than likely have one of the other doctors from his group as his surgical assistant so I wouldn't worry too much about his experience as he will have someone right there if needed.

I say go for it!

I think you can reasonably assume that the other doctors there did not hire a quack to join their successful team.

Thanks for your reply... I totally agree, thanks for the encouragement! My line of thought exactly.

He will more than likely have one of the other doctors from his group as his surgical assistant so I wouldn't worry too much about his experience as he will have someone right there if needed.

Very true. He's apart of a great team, and that already says alot. Thanks for your reply and support!

I can't speak for your doctor, but my story is remarkably similar and with a happy ending. At my practice, there are 3 doctors, too. I had been told to request the one with the most experience, but when I asked for him, I was told that the wait would be 4 months longer. I decided to try their newest member and see if I liked him. I work for a major medical center (not where I had the surgery) and I can usually tell a bad doc from a hundred miles way. Well, I went to the appointment and he did look way too young, but he was wonderful. I even had an ulcer that he needed to treat before I could have the lap band and there was never a problem. As far as the surgery, no problems there either or post-op. I'd be happy to recommend him to anyone.

cwm812- thanks for your very relatable story! That's an awesome testimony, and I feel very encouraged to hear it all worked out for you. My doctor too looks very young but I believe (because he's apart of an apparently reputable team) things will turn out like they did for you. Thanks again and congrats on your weight loss! Great job!

I guess before proceeding I would ask how many bands he has placed. I would never want to be in one of the very first patients. It is also known that complication rates go down with experienced doctors.

If he has placed a considerable number with good success rates, then I wouldn't have a problem.

How many has he placed?

I can't seem to find out how many bands he's placed. The doctor's office personnel has no idea and says they do not give out that kind of information and directed me to their website. Their website does not specify that.. it basically only gives an overview of his education/vague experience.

So I happened to find him on Facebook and sent him a message.. do you think that was inappropriate? :bananalama:

I agree with Heather. I would also be interested to know if the center has some sort of distinction...like a bariatric center of excellence from a well known institution like the ASMBS.

More than likely when you have your appointment with him is a good time to ask him questions like how many bands he has placed, has he had any challenging cases before, are you typical for his type of patient, what is his complication rate.

They always say don't be afraid to ask plastic surgeons questions because it's your body they're shaping. And these are your internal organs ! So definitely don't be afraid to ask questions.

In answer to your question, a fellowship is a type of education doctors can get after they finish medical school that allows that to specialize in a certain field like bariatric medicine or oncology or dermatology.

Good luck ! I hope you make the best decision for you !

Not that 3 months is that far away, but I look at some folks who got banded in the few months before I did or even a year before and they are already down 100 lbs, and I wish I was where they are. I think its impossible not to wish you were further down the line.

I would ask the surgeon how many lap bands he has actually put in just to be sure he is comfortable with the surgery. They say dont ask how many WLS, but specifically how many lap bands.