Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if...? cheese?

:angry: What if I can't eat cheese after the surgery? What if I can't eat a grilled cheese ever again? I LOVE CHEESE!!! I just had a thought that I might never be able to have a cheese sandwich again. Anybody have a favorite food that is making them take a 2nd look at getting the lap band? :confused:

I love chips and dip - salsa and mission tortilla chips - but you know what? if I can lose weight - truely loose weight forever - I will gladly give up the chips. I have dieted for the past 20 years - after a month or so it doesn't work and I go back to my chips. After March 16th I don't think i will want another chip - that will be ok

Hopefully the psych eval does it's job for people and identifies unhealthy relationships with food and deals with it in counseling. There is NO FOOD that justifies staying fat.

Food is Fuel

:angry: What if I can't eat cheese after the surgery? What if I can't eat a grilled cheese ever again? I LOVE CHEESE!!! I just had a thought that I might never be able to have a cheese sandwich again. Anybody have a favorite food that is making them take a 2nd look at getting the lap band? :confused:

To be honest, I have not given up any foods. I eat very small portions of the same foods I ate before the band. As an example, every now and then I will have a slice of sourdough bread toasted. It goes down without a problem. I eat sushi as well.

I also eat veggies and fruit. Shocking I know, but it is a healthy diet that I want to consume.

I am losing weight, have dropped 3 pants sizes, have great restriction, get over 90 grams of Protein in a day, and exercise 5X a week.

With the band, I have never been stuck, never vomited, no slime, and no bps. I just eat so much less.

I signed up for the band, because I was told you could eat the same foods as before, but just a whole lot less of them.

Good luck!

I was banded in October, 2008, and I have lost more than 38 lbs!! I eat cheese -- although I try to stick to reduced or low fat and I am fine! I don't overdo it and it seems to work for me -- I would recommend trying Laughing Cow Light -- it melts really well and is quite tasty!:angry:

I am at optimal restriction and cheese is a food that is very good to me. I buy my cheeses from the deli, freshly sliced: provolone, muenster, hot pepper (yum!). No issues ever... Even when I am tight. As for the sandwich, I don't eat sandwiches. But you'll get over the bread thing as you go along...

I signed up for the band, because I was told you could eat the same foods as before, but just a whole lot less of them.

same here.

i did for the 6 months (because that's how long it took for restriction) - kept a more rigid food plan in place - but it always included cheese.

i'm in TX - chips/queso is my vice; and while i don't eat it every day now:) - it's something i do eat regularly.

i think moderation is key - with everything.....denying food groups / items / drinks sets you up for failure long term. but that's just my opinion.

Personally I did have some nervousness when I thought about not having a bagel again or an egg, taylor ham & cheese on a bagel. These were some of my favorite foods. Once I came to terms with making the decision to get healthy and what it meant to me & my family it isn't so bad anymore. My hubby and kids still have them every weekend and it doesn't bother me.

There are quite a few foods that I can't eat due to getting "stuck" but you learn quickly what you and your band can tolerate and what you can't.

Believe me I would do this again in a heart beat. Good Luck!

I have a question - can you drink wine? I really like to have a glass or two of wine in the evening - especially Friday nights! I know a lot of people say no beer (which I don't like anyway) but is it the bubbles or the alcohal?

I have a question - can you drink wine? I really like to have a glass or two of wine in the evening - especially Friday nights! I know a lot of people say no beer (which I don't like anyway) but is it the bubbles or the alcohal?

My doctor allows wine - a small glass, occasionally. Personally, I don't want to drink my calories, but I've had a couple of glasses since having surgery on a couple of special occasions. I've read where some doctors have said no to alcohol for six months, others a year. This is one of those band variables. Now if someone was a heavy drinker, that's a whole other question, and I understand you aren't asking about that. I'm sure a lot of alcohol, in any form, would be harmful to our stomachs, especially after banding.

I'm just not going to get to the point of being super tight. I'm about at the max with my fills, and I can still eat just about anything, but a lot less of it. I haven't tried something like a sub or even steak since getting my band, let alone since I've gotten good restriction, but I've had just about everything else people seem to have trouble with, and I've been fine. I just have to take it slow, chew well, take small bites and measure my portions, so I don't over do it

However, you really don't know for sure how the band is going to impact your eating until you get it. Some people have trouble right from the start, so there are no guarantees.

The way I looked at it was that my weight was going to lead to an early death. There are people who for many health reasons from severe allergies to terrible illnesses can't have a variety of foods. I count myself lucky everyday that I have my band and that I'm losing weight. There's not a cheese sandwich in the world I'd trade for living a longer and healthier life.

Also, and I'm speaking ahead of myself because I'm not close to the maintenance phase yet, but I expect to have less fill once I get to my goal. At that point I won't be trying to lose weight, only maintain, so I'll be able to take in a few more calories. I can't see myself ever going for a complete unfill, but I'll just have to see what works when I get there.

Edited by kiz

Anybody have a favorite food that is making them take a 2nd look at getting the lap band?

Respectfully, Ivernous......if giving up any food gives you pause about getting banded, then you might not be mentally ready for weightloss surgery. Think it over carefully.

On occassion, I will have a glass a wine. Not that often, but I will if I feel like it. I sip it slowly and drink about 4 ounces. Talk about a light weight, but 4 ounces does me in.

Ivernous...I was just banded last Thursday, and I am still on full liquids, so the cheese thing is not an issue, yet...But, I will certainly try to make it a (responsible) part of my diet in the future. I, too, my friend, am in love with cheese! (clearly, no one else knows the glorious satisfaction of a wonderfully sharp cheddar?!) :angry:

Seriously, you will make it! I am over three weeks without all of the foods that I 'loved', and I am here to tell you that it is not impossible! Hell, by the time that I can have it, I might not like cheese anymore! (not likely, but possible!) :confused: :thumbup: