Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Online support vs physical support group

Online, physical or both support group?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Online, physical or both support group?

• Online is best!
    • Physical (meeting in person) is best!
    • Do both!
    • Physcial is best, but if not possible, online
    • Either one, they're about the same

OK, so I just got back from my first fill--it went ok, got 1cc in an 11cc band. But my doc isn't very helpful, isn't much into answering questions, makes me feel dumb for asking them, kinda rolls his eyes. (And it bugs me that he doesn't remember me from one visit to the next :angry:). Anyway, I told him things get stuck, but that I am constantly hungry. He found that very odd. When I asked if food getting stuck like this was normal, he said I should be in a support group. I told him yes, I am, in an online group, then he said "well, I think you need to go to a group with other people, meeting in a room." Hmm. I don't especially want to drive an hour to go to a support group, and I also think an online group is getter because we get to support eachother 24/7, not wait until the next meeting. But I can see the point in that it's kinda hard to point at my chest and say "my food gets stuck HERE, is that happens to you, too?"

So, what do you all think?

I thnk it depends on your personality.

I like chatting on here, having a few spirited debates on various issues etc. I dont find I need "support" at all other than knowing that others go through the same things, and i know I wouldnt attend a physical support group, I hate that kind of thing! I never went to wW meetings either, sitting round talking about stirring jelly crystals into yogurt as a treat doesnt ring my bell (the one meeting I did go to).

So for me, it'd have to be online, for companionship more so than support.

OK, so I just got back from my first fill--it went ok, got 1cc in an 11cc band. But my doc isn't very helpful, isn't much into answering questions, makes me feel dumb for asking them, kinda rolls his eyes. (And it bugs me that he doesn't remember me from one visit to the next :angry:). Anyway, I told him things get stuck, but that I am constantly hungry. He found that very odd. When I asked if food getting stuck like this was normal, he said I should be in a support group. I told him yes, I am, in an online group, then he said "well, I think you need to go to a group with other people, meeting in a room." Hmm. I don't especially want to drive an hour to go to a support group, and I also think an online group is getter because we get to support eachother 24/7, not wait until the next meeting. But I can see the point in that it's kinda hard to point at my chest and say "my food gets stuck HERE, is that happens to you, too?"

So, what do you all think?

I think online is the way to go, took me about three minutes to find this photo in google, modify it, upload it, and now post it. So YOU CAN point and say it hurts here. Saves gas too.

fatguymodi.jpg

Dan2001--TOO FUNNY! I love it! :angry:

I am with Jacqui. I would not go to in-person meetings. When I did WW I would go, pay my money, weigh in, and leave. I can get what I need on line. I have found this site very helpful, and if I can't find what I need here I can find it somewhere else.

I am not a patient person, and I don't have a lot of free time, so this way I can get what I want when I want it. I hate the idea of sitting listening to stuff that's not relevant to me, or to people I don't feel like listening to (enough of that at work!) Here, I take what I want, ignore what I don't.

I have got to say having online (VR - virtual reality) support has been very very helpful and I have learned more from the online support groups and this site then I have in physical (RL - real life) support. But I am a firm believer that RL support is just as important as VR. The thing to remember is RL support doesn't only come from a support group of others going through this but it also comes friends, family, and others around you. Talk to them to inform them of what your experiencing and going through helps you be more aware of you and your body. As for going to an AA style meeting and saying, "Hi, my names is Peter and I am fat. I was banded just over 2 months ago now." and everyone responding "Hi Peter. Welcome" just isn't my bag of chips for this. LOL

The key about support is do what is best for you. You are the only person who truly knows what is working best for you and if you are starting to slip or cheat stop doing what ever it is your doing and change. If that is adding pysical support groups then do it. If it's getting onto this website chatting with others and blogging to your hearts content then do it. Just do what ever it is neccessary to get yourself to living a healthier and happier life!

It's definitely a personality issue. I like the idea of going to an in person meeting but since I began reading this site, I'm sorry, but some people have the ability to irritate me IN WRITING! I can only imagine the eye rolling I could do in person! LOL

I'm with Florida Pete, Both methods help. :thumbup: I have gotten a lot of support on-line , anytime I tried. But the Support group in real life re- energizes me. i get to see others struggle through the same issues here, where I live. We hear speakers talk about methods i really hadn't considered ( i.e. an OT spoke about muscle stretching and warming up 0 It is all non-judgmental. went Tues nite and went out for supper later with 3 others. What fun and we all carried home doggie bags We laughed about our families, and talked abut real issues that lead to our over eating. i am willing to seek any support i can get. I cannot sit at the PC and do this all this e time. One thing I realize from all this is how isolated I have allowed myself to be.:) I have to reach out and go out.

I have got to say having online (VR - virtual reality) support has been very very helpful and I have learned more from the online support groups and this site then I have in physical (RL - real life) support. But I am a firm believer that RL support is just as important as VR. The thing to remember is RL support doesn't only come from a support group of others going through this but it also comes friends, family, and others around you. Talk to them to inform them of what your experiencing and going through helps you be more aware of you and your body. As for going to an AA style meeting and saying, "Hi, my names is Peter and I am fat. I was banded just over 2 months ago now." and everyone responding "Hi Peter. Welcome" just isn't my bag of chips for this. LOL

The key about support is do what is best for you. You are the only person who truly knows what is working best for you and if you are starting to slip or cheat stop doing what ever it is your doing and change. If that is adding pysical support groups then do it. If it's getting onto this website chatting with others and blogging to your hearts content then do it. Just do what ever it is neccessary to get yourself to living a healthier and happier life!

Excellent point about real life support Pete. I agree completely. I dont want AA style (or WW style, lol) meetings, but I couldnt have done this without my family behind me.

I have some family that is supportive, and those, I have reached out to. Other family is not the supportive type, and those I haven't even told about the surgery. I figure that can wait for some future date, after the weight is gone and I'm stabilized at my target weight; they've shown themselves not to be supportive during past times when I tried other weight loss efforts, so I don't expect them to be supportive now. I work so many hours that finding time to do a support group where I would have to drive an hour to get there and and hour back just doesn't seem worth it to me now, but that's why I asked, to see if I'm missing something important. As it stands, I have just about enough time in the day and week to work, exercise, do my artwork, spend time with my husband, visit family, sleep and keep up the house, and that's about it. Something would have to be dropped to add in group meetings, just doesn't seem worth it.

I find online best for me. I can find support when I need it most and not have to wait for that monthly/weekly support group meeting. It also works best for my schedule. The one meeting I did go to has all types of wls and I found most of them at the time to be bypass patients. Also, I really like my dr, but if I had one that made me feel bad for asking questions, I would be looking for another doctor quickly, just my opinion.

Ruth