Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: How many fills did it take you to find your "sweet" spot

How Many Fills did it take you to get the Right Restriction for you?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How Many Fills did it take you to get the Right Restriction for you?

I'm hoping I will be taken to the poll link but not sure so I will ask everyone who is willing to answer: How many fills did it take you to get to the point where you had good restriction. Meaning you got the full signal after eating a "bandster" size portion and you began to lose weight consistently?

Here are details of my fill history. Thought it might help you understand what the journey to the sweet spot is like.

Fill #1: Felt a tiny bit more restriction but no real difference.

Fill #2: Much better but still eating more than I wanted to.

Fill #3: Felt just right and thought I had already hit my sweet spot. At this stage though, I still had excess fat around my stomach so I lost several pounds within two weeks and lost that sweet spot feeling

Fill #4: Ditto of Fill #3

Fill #5: Sweet Spot!

I've had one more fill since then to jumpstart weight loss after the Holidays. I think that this will get me to goal.

Edited by Jodi_620

For many bandsters, the 'sweet spot' changes as we progress. Like Jodi_620, it took multiple fills until I felt true restriction, then with each significant weight loss level, I would need another fill to keep the same tigtness.

I am on my 5th sweet spot after 1 year of banding.

Thanks Jodi for the great respronse, I have to agree with you 100% so far; I've had my first fill with some restriction but not enough to make a significant change.

You made us all feel hopeful! I like the control you have now...meaning after the holidays you got a fill to restart progress. That's why we got this band! thanks! :(

[bY THE WAY JODI ....CONGRATULATIONS on your amazing success! 80 lbs. whaaahooo in 9 months! Wow you are at my goal! Must feel great. It's time to visualize that goal and set goals. Did you lose weight consistently even before having restriction>? Was exercise a key element? Did you change your eating style very much. We need to know! thank you so much for sharing your success!

quote=Sooverit!;1137241]Thanks Jodi for the great respronse, I have to agree with you 100% so far; I've had my first fill with some restriction but not enough to make a significant change.

You made us all feel hopeful! I like the control you have now...meaning after the holidays you got a fill to restart progress. That's why we got this band! thanks! :(

For the most part I consistently lost a minimum of 2 pounds a week after the second fill. I used a calendar and marked my initial weight and on each Friday date, I marked my goal of 2 pounds lost the whole way through the calendar. Then I recorded my weight each Friday. Some weeks I lost more, some less. But as soon as a Friday came where I did not meet my goal I knew I needed to look at what and how I was eating and consider whether it was time for a fill. If I was not back on track by the following Friday I scheduled another fill. As long as I kept up with fills, weight loss stayed consistent up until I reached my last 20 pounds, the last 20 pounds are not giving in without a fight :( but I will keep on until it goes away.

For me there were two key elements. Maintaining restriction and eating right. Carbs are an issue with me so I have been very careful with not eating processed and starchy foods. I eat solid foods that keep me satisfied longer, lean meats fresh veggies and fruits, Low fat dairy and whole grain Cereal with a Protein.

For me, strenuous exercise was not key. I kept up with my normal activity and as the weight came off my energy increased. Walks became longer and more energetic and more got done in my day-to-day activities. I just recently joined Curves to start toning up a bit.

Just wonderful Jodi, I loved your Friday "check in" day. I loved your attitude of being being in charge of making this work. Thanks for reminding me not to go hog wild with exercise as I usually over do it then burn out, it is better to listen to what your body tells you. I have been eating way more veggies and fruit lately and even my 11 yr old daughter has started "craving" grapes and good food as she says. I told her your body craves what it's used to. I refuse to bring in any more junk food ie. packaged carb loaded "snacks" for her lunch at school. It's carrot sticks, cut up cucs, grapes, etc. This has helped us tremendously.

Thank you again much.....some how I see you writing a book.

I have had 8 fills, some were .5cc and some were 1.0 currently at 8.5 cc in a 10 cc band. the weight loss has been steady over the last year until month 10, stalled got .5 cc, month 11 got 1.0cc week before Christmas. I still have restriction, even a bit tight in the morning, so no fill for Jan. have lost 1.0 lb since dr visit last week. so .5-1.0 lb a week is ok. I am 10 lbs from goal. Currently at 144. super energy. I hike 3.5 miles at lunch and do yoga 3x week and gym 5 x week with cardio, mchines and free wts. At this point it is now a family thing for all of us to attend the gym on a regular basis. So I would say that I am at my sweet spot for right now. Next month or 3months from now I may need another fill to keep me there.Just for the maintenance. I am a happy bandster, I had a few tough times, but hopefully you learn from those and keep on your journey. Good luck to you all.:(

Just wonderful Jodi, I loved your Friday "check in" day. I loved your attitude of being being in charge of making this work. Thanks for reminding me not to go hog wild with exercise as I usually over do it then burn out, it is better to listen to what your body tells you. I have been eating way more veggies and fruit lately and even my 11 yr old daughter has started "craving" grapes and good food as she says. I told her your body craves what it's used to. I refuse to bring in any more junk food ie. packaged carb loaded "snacks" for her lunch at school. It's carrot sticks, cut up cucs, grapes, etc. This has helped us tremendously.

Thank you again much.....some how I see you writing a book.

Happy to help...LOL, I am not sure about me writing a book though...

As you and bandfun4me have both pointed out, having this surgery can bring improvements to the entire family. No more junk food in the house limited fast food and takeout replaced with healthy meals. Add to that exercise and hopefully your kids will learn this healthy behavior for life and never need to have this surgery :(

ZERO for me, and LOVING it!! Now, in the future if I start feeling hungry and don't follow my diet, I will get a fill, which I'm fairly certain would be my sweet spot. Knock on wood, no fill!

Well the party's over for me (the eating one that is) I am now having great restriction with my 2nd fill! whahoo ...didn't think it would happen on the second but I am thrilled. I am down 25lbs total and after getting stuck a few times I am now on track and eating small meals and feeling so good I WANT to exercise@!

This lap band is the best invention since penicillin ....well almost...at least for me I know i am a much healthier person and MUCH happier!

Best to you,

Marg

I was banded almost two years ago and lost 40 pounds in a year. Recently I put on 12 pounds and feel like I can eat things I couldnt before ie bread, muffins etc. Could it be possible that my band has stretched and I need a fill? I was never warned this could be a possibility so I'm not sure what is going on...please help. I am so worried I am going to gain it all back.

Yes jojo, you are probably ready for a fill. That is the magic of the band, if ever we start to regain the weight we can just go in for an adjustment to help get us back on track.

Thank you for answering me. I have been so upset thinking all the weight was coming back. It never occurred to me that I needed another fill until this morning. Problem is it took 6 fills for me to find my sweet spot and I am up to 9.25cc of a 10cc band. Although I have not had a fill since then I don't know how much more they will put in. I will make the appt and go see what they say. Again thanks for the info I feel better already.:confused: