Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realize Band or Lap Band

Thank you for the helpful information

Your welcome and good luck with your decision.:cursing:

my doctor gave me the option too but said i would be the first with the realize band,so i desided to go with what he knows best and stick with the lapband. I dont feel like being someones guinie pig!!He aslo said they both have pros and cons that the realize website is great but if you have other support your fine.

I am still so confused. I have read so much that it takes so much longer to feel restriction with the Realize Band then with the Lap Band?Any assistance greatly appreicated. i am having such a hard time making the decision. i wish the dr would do it for me. I get once chance and want to make sure I make the best possible decision...

the rate at which you feel restriction depends on you and what size band you have. the bigger bands are going to take longer to fill. lap band has more than one size. there is a 4cc, 10cc, and 14cc. realize band can hold up to 9cc's.

everyone feels restriction differently. two people with the same size band can get a fill of the exact amount and one could feel too tight and the other not tight enough.

surgeons judge what size of band to use by what size you are. what brand they chose generally depends on which one they prefer. just make sure it is an FDA approved band that you are getting if you live in the U.S. and have your surgery some place other than the states.

Here's another recent thread on LBT

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/pics-info-new-realize-c-band-83453/

And Here Is a Post- Question and Answer to it from Dr. C (same doc), from the OH site

Post Date: 1/2/09 7:50 am

On January 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM Pacific Time, Spoken4 wrote:

Hi Dr. C,

I am scheduled for my banding next week and my doc offers both the lap band and the realize band. I'm having a hard time finding differences between the two and was curious as to your opinion. Of course I would want to chose the one that would offer the best results with the least rate for complications!

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Currently I'd probably recommend the Lap Band, I like it about 55%/45% over the 1st gen Realize band. There is a new Realize-C band coming out soon, we have already put it about 20. I think it makes them both equal in my mind as there are some improvements to the C. Your surgeon probably does not yet have access to the C however.

Trace W. Curry, M.D. -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy

I did my own research and decided on the LB (I had a choice of LB or the old Realize that most surgeons still offer, I did not have an option of the new Realize C). Do your research and pick whatever is right for you, obviously they all can work well.

Jack, i have the relize band and lov it, my older sister doesn't not.It seems like i feel full alot sooner than she does,also we wereband 2 weeks apart and i've lost more than she has.i lov my band it's the best.

I asked my Dr and he said with most band surgeries it doesn't matter. But he would advise me to have the Lap Band. He said he had several people that didn't have a great deal of weight to lose that the Realize Band slipped. I only have about 80-100 lbs to lose and he suggested I have the Lap Band. Good Luck with which ever you choose....