Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wondering about the costs of "aftercare"

One of the centers that offers bariatric surgery charges a fee of $2500.00 for the support group, nutritionists, exercise center, etc. It says right on the website that the fee is NOT billed to insurance and is due in cash on the day of the consultation. Is this type of fee normal?

that's sort of how it works in australia. Most of the op is paid for by a combination of Medicare (our public health system) and our private health insurance and before the surgery, you pay a fee of $3000 to $5000 to the surgeon.

This ensures that all aftercare visits are bulk billed - which means the doctor charges the scheduled fee only direct to Medicare and nothing comes out of the patients' pocket. And any revision surgery will be cost free also.

This has been discussed on here before and everyone thought it was a scam - but if it allows you to come and go for fills and whatnot, I dont think it is. The way people have to fart around to get fills, wait for unfills they needed like yesterday, shell out hundreds of dollars, well, lets jsut say I think its a lot of the reason why America has a worse track record with band success and a higher incidence of problems than Australia does. the band requires heavily on aftercare to be successful and if this makes your aftercare completely easy and cost free then its a good thing.

But you dont say that specifically. DOES it cover fills and doctor visits?

Because I wouldnt pay it for nutritionists, a support group and an exercise centre - I dont even USE any of those things. They're the sort of things that suit some people personality wise but which many dont use, enjoy or need.

I have to agree with Jachut. Aftercare is SO important to success with the band. The usefulness of support groups, nutritionists, and exercise centers will vary widely with each person, but access to fills and unfills is VITAL! So be very sure that the fee charged by the bariatric center includes fills and doctor visits. You don't want to be given this tool, then be unable to get it "fine tuned" to where it works best for you.

I had a program fee of $470.00 payable prior to the first consult and not billable to insurance. That covered the initial consult, Nutritional evaluation and follow-up visits with the dietician, Support group attendance, Insurance coordination, Coordination of all pre-op tests (interaction with PCP to gather test results) and one visit with the personal trainer.

I also had to pay $500.00 for two visits to the psych.

Fills are billed to my insurance and paid by them 100%

Jodi_620,

My doctor offers the after care to his cash paying patients for $1000.00. This includes all fills and doctor's visits for a lifetime. If you are also a self-paying patient, I think that amount of money for aftercare is very steep.

If you are using insurance (I was denied), check with your company to see if you have a cap on weight loss related procedures. Some insurance companies only allow you a specific amount of money and then once you go over that amount, you are on your own. Also check to see if your doctor is a preferred provider. This may drop your aftercare care costs dramatically. The going rate for a doctor's visit and fill (without insurance) is about $250.00 so for me, the $1,000 dollars was a steal!

I am only three weeks into the band so I don't know all the ends and outs but I learned alot about the industry in the last few months while fighting with my own insurance company. Good luck!

Well, I just found out my insurance doesn't pay for ANY type of weight loss surgery, so it's just a moot issue for now. I appreciate the information and I wish you all the very best of luck with your weight loss.

Jodi_620,

My doctor offers the after care to his cash paying patients for $1000.00. This includes all fills and doctor's visits for a lifetime. If you are also a self-paying patient, I think that amount of money for aftercare is very steep.

If you are using insurance (I was denied), check with your company to see if you have a cap on weight loss related procedures. Some insurance companies only allow you a specific amount of money and then once you go over that amount, you are on your own. Also check to see if your doctor is a preferred provider. This may drop your aftercare care costs dramatically. The going rate for a doctor's visit and fill (without insurance) is about $250.00 so for me, the $1,000 dollars was a steal!

I am only three weeks into the band so I don't know all the ends and outs but I learned alot about the industry in the last few months while fighting with my own insurance company. Good luck!

What part of what I paid seems too steep to you?

Well, I just found out my insurance doesn't pay for ANY type of weight loss surgery, so it's just a moot issue for now. I appreciate the information and I wish you all the very best of luck with your weight loss.

Sorry to hear that 62Peachy. My original insurance didn't cover WLS either. About 8 months later I was able to switch to DH insurance and get it covered. Best wishes to you too.

Jodi_620,

Hi Jill,

The $1000 sounds like a good deal to me. What doctor are you using?

Jodi_620,

I didn't mean you. I think you got a great deal! I meant the $2,500 that 62Peachy was going to pay for the support groups. Of course, if insurance pays for surgery, that might be a good deal. For me, a cash payer, that would be a very steep amount to pay after already having forked over so much.

FatRuby....I live in Ventura County. My surgeon is Dr. Billy.