Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can we have decaff coffee?

Hi everyone.

I was banded a week ago and am drinking decaff teas like peppermint and fruit teas, I was told to avoid black tea and caffeine. But I would really like a cup of coffee. Are we allowed to have decaff coffee? I can't remember what my doctor said. Any advice welcome!:thumbup:

I hate to say that I think it depends on your surgeon. We were allowed Decaf Clear Liquids (and coffee was ok as long as decaf)...but each doctor is different.

Hi everyone.

I was banded a week ago and am drinking decaff teas like peppermint and fruit teas, I was told to avoid black tea and caffeine. But I would really like a cup of coffee. Are we allowed to have decaff coffee? I can't remember what my doctor said. Any advice welcome!:thumbup:

Like RM said, coffee is one of those highly variable "surgeon's rules" items... Mine let me have black regular coffee in the recovery room! Others have been forbidden from ever drinking coffee. It's best to call your doctor, but avoid a simple "can I have coffee?" type of question. Educate yourself from the doctor's point of view - ask what/when/how/why... I think it's always better to have your surgeon explain what caused him/her to form their opinions - regardless of the topic.

Good luck! Brad

Same as everyone said about depending on what your doctors says. I wasn't suppose to have coffee or limit it because caffeine dehydrates you. So I dont think decaff will have the same effect. I didn't give up coffee at all. I only drank a lg dd coffee in themorning but I just couldn't give it up. My doctor said for every 8 oz of coffee you drink you should try to drink 16oz of Water to make up for it.

Allows email/call your doctor with any questions. They are there to help and guide you in the right direction.

Good Luck with your Journey.

I think the reason coffee is a controversy is that caffinated coffee dehydrates you. That's the last thing you want now. My post op notes say Decaf tea. I'm actually drinking regular tea right now because I need to get some decaf! It really is funny how different Drs are! I had to stay overnight and had nothing to drink until the next day and someone wrote they had coffee in the recovery room!

coffee is also high in tanic acid which is very hard on the stomach. Black tea has more tannin than coffee, and Yerba Mate has an extraordinary amount. It is more acid than your stomach acid which is important to keep in mind if you are concerned about erosion, GERD, or ulcerations. It's true the caffeine does dehydrate, but I think you'd have to consume quite a bit to suffer that sort of effect. Moreover, coffee, like soda is an empty food source offering very little nutritionally...well, I guess you get the benefit of a tiny amount of antioxidants and phytoestrogen from coffee. Perhaps it's not quite as horrible as soda, but it's close.

It's too bad, really. I do love coffee so very much.

Moreover, coffee, like soda is an empty food source offering very little nutritionally...well, I guess you get the benefit of a tiny amount of antioxidants and phytoestrogen from coffee. Perhaps it's not quite as horrible as soda, but it's close.

It's too bad, really. I do love coffee so very much.

You might want to have some coffee with your additives next time! :tongue2: According to the daily plate, 8oz of regular coffee has 2 calories....

Brad

There's a LOT of misinformation out there about caffeine and coffee (caffeine is also in many teas and lots of sodas, to name a few sources) It doesn't dehydrate after all (new research) although in the past they thought it did. Actually a little caffeine can actually be GOOD for you. It IS an appetite stimulant for some, for others it actually acts as an appetite suppressant! (old diet pills always had caffeine as a staple ingredient) It gained a bad reputation for some reason...much of that based on "unfounded" assumption rather than cold hard science.

My doc says to avoid caffeine if it stimulates your appetite. It doesn't do that to me (one of the few things that doesnt! LOL) so it's ok for me to have it. Other doctors will, I'm sure, have other opinions.

Water, for example, has no nutritional value and still we need it.

Once your doctor approves regular or Decaf coffee (or tea, or whatever) then let it be a personal choice as to whether you want to include it in your "diet" (as in what you eat, not as in what you restrict). If you google it you'll find lots of info on coffee...for example, for some reason people who drink 6 or more cups of regular (not decaf) coffee each day are less likely to develop diabetes type II. They don't know why, so don't rush out and chug the coffee, but it's a valid statistic. They are doing "more" research.

We all need to use our own best intelligence, remember that sometimes "they" (whoever "they" are) get it wrong, and that usually "all things in moderation" is a good way to go.

And LOL at the 2 cals per 8 ounces. Good to know. I just checked my sugar free tic tacs and they are 1.8 cals each...the regular (with sugar) are...1.9! So I'll watch my coffee and tic tac intake carefully! :tongue2: (J/K)

We all have to find our own way to use the band; and I guess for some, denying certain things makes good sense. If so, they should follow their hearts! But for some of us denial gets old and punitive where as an occasional cup of decaf or a glass of sugar free iced tea helps make things all go by easier.

Do what your doc says, and what you know will work for you!

I was allowed to have Decaf products during the post liquid diet phase. However, you should follow your doctor's instructions for you.

I am 2.5 months out from surgery and now drink caffeine coffee every morning. Does my doctor want me to, no she preferred I did not. Her reason for not wanting patients to drink coffee is that it stimulates hunger. In my case, it does not stimulate hunger. I have not seen any scientific reports that can substantiate definitely whether caffeine products stimulate hunger or not.

Coffee is my vice and I shall not give it up. Besides, you really don't want to be around me in the morning until I had coffee.

Bam, I don't follow you. It's not the calories I think folks are worried about. Well, at least that's not the issue for me. I am concerned about living the best life I can, and I think if I'm going to fill my belly with something, it should be something that makes me stronger. My focus is, as Restless puts it, what I put in, not what I am going to deny myself.

I do love coffee, but I know I need to drink Water and milk instead. I don't anticipate having room to drink all of those things and still achieve adequate nutrition. I think if a person can, and their doc doesn't care, and they don't have trouble with acid...what the hey? go for it.

Bam, I don't follow you. It's not the calories I think folks are worried about. Well, at least that's not the issue for me. I am concerned about living the best life I can, and I think if I'm going to fill my belly with something, it should be something that makes me stronger. My focus is, as Restless puts it, what I put in, not what I am going to deny myself.

I do love coffee, but I know I need to drink Water and milk instead. I don't anticipate having room to drink all of those things and still achieve adequate nutrition. I think if a person can, and their doc doesn't care, and they don't have trouble with acid...what the hey? go for it.

As RM pointed out, Water has LESS nutritional value than coffee but I certainly hope you drink water.

I would avoid coffee for two reasons only. 1) Your doctor doesn't approve for whatever reason. 2) You're having trouble intaking enough fluids - then reserve that space for pure water.

Beyond that, as far as I'm concerned, drink your coffee at will - just remember - any additives will raise the caloric value.

Brad

I called my dr. office the 2nd day after surgery. I really needed some coffee. I was told I could have regular coffee, but that it did not count toward my 64 required oz of Decaf fluids. I have some regular coffee in the morning - just a cup or maybe 2 on the weekend, and if i want coffee during the day I have decaf. I go for my 2 week post-op on Thursday and expect that I will get more info then.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for all your replies everyone, it's amazing to see all the different things we are told by our doctors.

I went back to see mine this morning to get my stitches out and asked him about coffee. He said I could have decaff coffee but I should be careful as it can cause reflux. If I have any reflux then I have to stop drinking it. Hope I'm OK, I haven't tried yet!

There's a LOT of misinformation out there about caffeine and coffee (caffeine is also in many teas and lots of sodas, to name a few sources) It doesn't dehydrate after all (new research) although in the past they thought it did. Actually a little caffeine can actually be GOOD for you. It IS an appetite stimulant for some, for others it actually acts as an appetite suppressant! (old diet pills always had caffeine as a staple ingredient) It gained a bad reputation for some reason...much of that based on "unfounded" assumption rather than cold hard science.

My doc says to avoid caffeine if it stimulates your appetite. It doesn't do that to me (one of the few things that doesnt! LOL) so it's ok for me to have it. Other doctors will, I'm sure, have other opinions.

Water, for example, has no nutritional value and still we need it.

Once your doctor approves regular or Decaf coffee (or tea, or whatever) then let it be a personal choice as to whether you want to include it in your "diet" (as in what you eat, not as in what you restrict). If you google it you'll find lots of info on coffee...for example, for some reason people who drink 6 or more cups of regular (not decaf) coffee each day are less likely to develop diabetes type II. They don't know why, so don't rush out and chug the coffee, but it's a valid statistic. They are doing "more" research.

We all need to use our own best intelligence, remember that sometimes "they" (whoever "they" are) get it wrong, and that usually "all things in moderation" is a good way to go.

And LOL at the 2 cals per 8 ounces. Good to know. I just checked my sugar free tic tacs and they are 1.8 cals each...the regular (with sugar) are...1.9! So I'll watch my coffee and tic tac intake carefully! :w00t: (J/K)

We all have to find our own way to use the band; and I guess for some, denying certain things makes good sense. If so, they should follow their hearts! But for some of us denial gets old and punitive where as an occasional cup of decaf or a glass of sugar free iced tea helps make things all go by easier.

Do what your doc says, and what you know will work for you!

I find my skinny lattes with 2 scoops of Protein powder are serving several purposes. I am getting in extra Protein, Calcium from milk as I don't drink it, a lift from the caffeine however temporary, and, it does not increase my appetite or dehydrate me nor do I drink less Water due to it. Best of all, I feel like I am having a treat and it's enough to satisfy my needs for one!!! Would my particular Dr. approve?? Possibly not, but as long as it's working for me and not doing any harm I will continue to do it. The rest of you should follow your Dr's instructions however!!