Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is being "stuck"?

I'm not sure I know what being stuck is...

Usually when something won't go down, it comes back up for me. Isn't this PBing? Not sure I know what the difference is between PB and being stuck.

Anyone have a better understanding?

I've been stuck a few times and have had the sliming issue twice, but I've never PB'ed. I call stuck when it eventually goes down without a PB.

If it comes back up it is PB'ing.

If you eat something and you feel pain in your chest area then you are stuck, it may also feel like food is backing up in your esophagus, sort of a gaggy feeling. Believe me, if you ever get stuck you WILL know. Ever swallow a drink too hard and get that air bubble pain in your chest?...that is alot what being stuck feels like.

If it gets REALLY stuck you will start to get phlegm backing up into your mouth...that is what we call sliming.

If it comes back up it is PB'ing.

If you eat something and you feel pain in your chest area then you are stuck, it may also feel like food is backing up in your esophagus, sort of a gaggy feeling. Believe me, if you ever get stuck you WILL know. Ever swallow a drink too hard and get that air bubble pain in your chest?...that is alot what being stuck feels like.

If it gets REALLY stuck you will start to get phlegm backing up into your mouth...that is what we call sliming.

I usually throw up when this happens. I get that slim and then it just comes up. Maybe everyone's body reacts differently. All my problems end up in the food coming back up. It's like if the food doesn't go don't easly, it comes back up.

if it comes back up it is pb'ing.

If you eat something and you feel pain in your chest area then you are stuck, it may also feel like food is backing up in your esophagus, sort of a gaggy feeling. Believe me, if you ever get stuck you will know. Ever swallow a drink too hard and get that air bubble pain in your chest?...that is alot what being stuck feels like.

If it gets really stuck you will start to get phlegm backing up into your mouth...that is what we call sliming.

can we get a ditto jodi!!!!!!!!!!!

Kat,

You asked the exact question that I have been wondering about. Oh I know what PBing is... but for me, the food either goes down or it comes back up. I have felt that sharp pain in my chest... but then... the food goes down or I'm PBing. Guess I haven't really had anything stuck. Thanks for asking and good luck to you!!! Becky

I usually throw up when this happens. I get that slim and then it just comes up. Maybe everyone's body reacts differently. All my problems end up in the food coming back up. It's like if the food doesn't go don't easly, it comes back up.

In my experience, I PB if I take too big of a bite or eat too much. There is no wretching the food just comes up. There is a little slime mixed in but it is basically the food as it was when I swallowed it.

I get stuck if I didn't chew well enough. I know as soon as I swallowed but it is too late. The pain can last from a couple of seconds to several minutes, but eventually the food goes down. (Although when the pain has been too intense, I have taken a swig of Water then bent over the sink to force it to come back up)

Both of these things seem to happen at or above the pouch.

Sliming usually happens when I swallow something that I didn't or couldn't chew well enough...fibrous veggies, a pill...oh, and dried apricots were a killer! :thumbup:. It is not like throwing up at all, the slime just comes up on its own and you can't control it and it can last for quite a while. Your mouth just keeps filling up with thick clear mucus and you have to keep spitting it out, you can feel the slime traveling up and it makes you feel so gaggy. This seems to happen because the food got stuck trying to pass through the band.

What comes up should come up easily, for some it comes up in a burp or a cough and it should be just food in the form it was swallowed and maybe a little mucus...no stomach acid. If you are doing a lot of wretching or vomiting with stomach acid then you should see your doctor. The wretching can cause slippage and vomiting stomach acid too often can cause esophagal problems as well as other issues and excess vomiting means something is wrong (too tight, slippage, virus....) Of course you don't want to have anything come back up, whatever the cause you need to find it and correct it.

Edited by Jodi_620

I have gotten stuck a handful of times. I have never vomited or PB'ed or slimed. When I get stuck I just get a very unpleasant pain in the middle of my chest, a much worse version of the mild discomfort I get if I start eating too quickly. It is difficult to swallow during these episodes, though I have been able to do so. My episodes have never lasted more than 5 minutes but that 5 minutes feels like a lifetime. It makes enough of an impression that I have not eaten any of the things that got stuck, again, and am not sure if I ever will.

I have often wondered the same thing. It doesn't happen often to me, but when it does it's bad. I've only had it happen twice. I have eaten something for supper one night like hamburger meat and I have noticed that it just didn't feel right going down so I don't eat anymore. Then the next day when I try to eat it doesn't go down AT ALL! That's when the slimming starts and sometimes it will come up with that and sometimes not. This time it was 3 days before I got it all up and I had to throw up everything that I had in my stomach which wasn't much, and today I feel fine! I have only had it happen like that twice and I HATE it! I have had the feeling in my chest when I swallow something too big alot of times, but I don't consider that stuck, cause it goes down, stuck to me is when you can't get ANYTHING down for a couple of days.

I read once where someone posted that a stuck episode is like "the big O". When you've had one, you'll know it!

For me, it is sharp chest pain and the inside of my cheeks go almost numb and Water like I'm going to throw up. I can't eat or even contmeplate it while I'm having one. I've only had four, but those were enough for me. Each time, it was something that I didn't chew well enough.