Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss stalled... is this normal?

I got banded on January 14th. I lost 20 lbs in my pre op diet 2 weeks before surgery. I lost 8 lbs in the 9 days following surgery, but since then, I have stalled.

I'm not eating anything but Clear liquids and sugar free carnation instant Breakfast 3 times a day (as instructed by my dr).

I haven't gained any weight, but i haven't lost any in 4 days. Which i now find unusual. Is this normal? Does it change after a fill? Kind of frustrating that it was dropping soooo fast and now nothing.

My dr is expecting me to lose 15-20 lbs in the next 4 weeks.... and I have no idea how to get there.

Any help/insight would be appreciated. I can't use my eliptical yet to help things along because it makes my tummy jiggle and that hurts where my stitches are. I was hoping to sneak in a bunch of exercise before the 6 week wait period was over. That is clearly not happening yet.

I don't know if this is the answer, but hopefully it'll help some. Do you know how much Protein is in your Carnation shake? My doctor advised against Carnation and Ensure, and required/recommended protein powders that give you at least 20-25 grams of protein per serving. When I combine that with 1% milk, it adds 9 grams, soy milk is about 7.

I know I was told protein is the most important part of post-op life, because it helps you heal, and also maintains muscle mass.

Also, from what I've heard and experienced, sometimes the numbers on the scale don't drop, but your body is still slimming down. I lost 2lbs in the past 3 weeks, but I can fit into a smaller pant size. So take it all into account and don't give up! It's still early on, and you'll figure it out!

good luck!

Hey there TK,

Sometimes when I don't get enough calories, my body starts to store everything instead of burn. I have gone through a few stalls and almost always it seems I ate less or started to work out harder and needed a few more calories. Not too many of course, but even 100 calories seems to keep the fire burning so to speak. I too was warned about carnation and ensure. I use soy Protein Powder with only 6 grams of sugar or less. It seems like any sugar at all, and my body goes back to its old habits, burn the sugar and store the rest. It is a learning process for all of us. Always talk to your Dr. and see what he/she has to say. Adnd Frog is right sometimes you are getting smaller but not loosing. Good to record measurements when you record your weight too. Keep your chin up, you'll start puree foods soon and it will be a bit easier, although you will still take a Protein Shake or two a day. I need right around 70 grams or so but everyone's different.

thinnerkinner i just had my two week checkup the 26th of january. i lost 19lbs. my pre-op weight loss was 40lbs,at my last weigh in that was sept 3rd. he told me do not expect to lose anymore weight right now. ubtil i start my fills.that is 59lbs in all.i am so greatful. maybe we all stall at one point. an our bodies have to take time to readjust.

I got banded on January 14th. I lost 20 lbs in my pre op diet 2 weeks before surgery. I lost 8 lbs in the 9 days following surgery, but since then, I have stalled.

I'm not eating anything but Clear Liquids and sugar free carnation instant breakfast 3 times a day (as instructed by my dr).

I haven't gained any weight, but i haven't lost any in 4 days. Which i now find unusual. Is this normal? Does it change after a fill? Kind of frustrating that it was dropping soooo fast and now nothing.

My dr is expecting me to lose 15-20 lbs in the next 4 weeks.... and I have no idea how to get there.

Any help/insight would be appreciated. I can't use my eliptical yet to help things along because it makes my tummy jiggle and that hurts where my stitches are. I was hoping to sneak in a bunch of exercise before the 6 week wait period was over. That is clearly not happening yet.

I was also banded on Jan 14 and my weight loss has stalled as well. I lost 12 pounds after surgery, then gained 2 of it back and the scale has been going up and down those 2 pounds for the last 3 days. I thought it was because my doctor has allowed me to move on to SOME solid foods (I can eat cooked veggies and fresh fruits now and tuna, Pasta, rice, etc) I thought that since I wasn't on the liquid diet and my calories had increased, I was not losing anymore. Perhaps it is normal to stop for a while while your body adjusts. My doctor did not tell me to lose weight during this time. He said he expected some just through the nature of going through surgery and the diet, but not to focus on that because this is a time for healing. After I start getting fills, I will then focus on weight loss.

Good luck to you!

I am having the same frustration. I was banded on the 13th. First 8 days, a pound, or so each day, then BAM! the weight loss came to abrupt stop! I am doing everything I am told to do--even exercising. I wonder if I'm getting too few calories (I'm managing about 800 a day) or not enough Water? As good as I have been with getting in lots of Protein and not over eating, I would have expected something! :thumbup:

All - I have found over the last five months that my weight loss stalls every once in awhile. I have gone for like 3 weeks without loosing. It is important to realize that at times, you body is dropping inches and keeping weight for a bit. We do need to make sure we get enough Protein and enough calories. We each have a different level of optimum calories and protein. I have found it best to absolutely cut out all carbs wherever possible. I switched to soy protein and it seems to work better for me. With exercise, your body needs more calories or it will go into store mode. I usually do not measure my calories so much as my protein intake, 70 to 75 grams for me. When you start getting fills, things will pick up faster as you begin to feel restriction. I have gone a little extreme since my banding, or so my friends tell me. They call me protein man and the carb nazi. be sure to talk to your doctor, after all you paid him a ton of money to help you through this. This is one the best things we could have done and it is soooooo worth the struggles to see the pounds and inches melting away.

I'm not eating anything but clear liquids and sugar free carnation instant breakfast 3 times a day (as instructed by my dr).

Your Dr is crazy. You are doing great and you are supposed to be healing now, not losing weight. Most Dr's tell their patients to expect a small weight gain between their post op check up and their first fill. Just concentrate on healing and follow the post op eating instructions making sure you get plenty of good Protein.