Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Cheating help!!!!

Hi everyone,

I was banded on jan 27th, i to found pre op diet hard,

I was on three meals of opti fast a day for 14 days, when i felt starved or deprived i found other things to do, moving around things (Dancing with kids) if i still felt starved after 2 hrs i would have some salad.

Dont forget lots of Water and weighing myself kept me going.

i also planned on day 10 to have a nice small fat free dinner (chicken and salad and glass of wine) just for something to look forward to.

i lost 10kg on pre op diet hang in there, you can do it.

I am dyingggg.. Im on the 2nd, almost 3rd day of this 2 week liquid diet and its really hard. I have a Migraine but cant take Excedrin or anything that will actually make it go away. Im only allowed Tylenol. This sucks. I feel like I'm dying. I wanna eat real food. even like cream of wheat or applesauce. anything besides chicken broth and SF pudding/ Jello. Drinking stuff makes me feel like throwing up. Am i being a wuss? or did anyone else have this much trouble??

I am dyingggg.. Im on the 2nd, almost 3rd day of this 2 week liquid diet and its really hard. I have a Migraine but cant take Excedrin or anything that will actually make it go away. Im only allowed Tylenol. This sucks. I feel like I'm dying. I wanna eat real food. even like cream of wheat or applesauce. anything besides chicken broth and SF pudding/ Jello. Drinking stuff makes me feel like throwing up. Am i being a wuss? or did anyone else have this much trouble??

The second and third day were the hardest for me. Luckily I could take them off work so I could sleep late, focus on getting in my Protein shakes (they do keep the hunger away for awhile), and we made hearty stews with extra broth - venison or very lean beef with veggies. I was allowed non-starchy veggies like carrots, onions, garlic, etc. so the hearty stew broth (minus the potato and meat) with the veggies (even without, we made enough so I had frozen some for post-op was liquid only) felt a lot heavier than plain chicken broth. This flavorful broth was the only thing that got me through every day.

HI lil Miss!

I am on day 9 of my preop and I have lost 13 pounds. I had a BMI of 53 and have to drop now 22 more pds.. AND all I can have is shakes and 3oz Protein at night. W/veggies. I am self pay. SO I could take more time if needed to think this through.... I just dont know.

Today I ate a grilled chicken sandwich. I was dying for as you say real food. I have wanted this for so long and now since the preop All I can think of is this the right thing for me will I be able to follow through and make this work,.... I keep thinking this is all due to lack of fatty foods! LOL I hope. I am thinking about food now more than ever....And I keep thinking can I do it this myself? (would I not have by now?) I have lost b4 big weight to only regain....I am like totally questioning myself... I was so ready until this preop. I have no I idea I would have to do this preop and lose 30 b4 surgery I am so sick! ( I think I maybe being dramatic) but at this moment in time this seems so huge and all I want is to be able to think clearly and I seriouslly am not sure if all of these thoughts are due to lack of food intake or what?

Please no bad come backs. I dont think I could take them right now.

Edited by Lapbandneeded

My surgeon had me on pre-op Atkins diet for 2 wks, sam e theory though, to shrink the fat around your liver, the reason they told me was that fatty livers tend to bleed, and that can cause further complications, I did Atkins for 12 &1/2 of the 14 days, but I also let the Dr. know what I had eaten at my pre-admissions testing. I am 3 days post-op, home, able to move around well.....the worst thing for me was drinking the barium liquid the morning after the surgery, and it's not pleasant coming out either/almost like preparing for a colonoscopy.

Of course after the band we will all be on liquids for quite some time - my doctor requires 2 weeks liquid, followed by 2 weeks mushy, then reevaluation before going on solids - but sticking to that type of diet with a 4 oz stomach vs a 44 oz stomach seems in theory to be the biggest reason why I'm confident I can do it after surgery, and the rest of my life.

This is what I tell myself when I get nervous about the liquids after the band since the pre-op diet sucks so bad!

Hi. I am new here. I am also having trouble with the pre-op diet!! I have cheated twice! I am so hungry and if I watch TV, all I see is food!!!! Let's try to help each other!!! Angela in TN

I've been on liquids since last Wed. and will see the Dr. on Tuesday. Banding date, the 18th. I don't find that I'm hungry at all. I bought different flavors and enjoy the change at each 'meal' :thumbdown:. I have hot chicken consumme toward evening and then it begins....nighttime munchies...I go for the Jello, ice pops, another ice pop and I smile. I'm doing this NO MATTER WHAT. Yes, it sucks not to be eating food, but the bottom line is if we had 'control' of our eating, we wouldn't be in this predicament, right? Think of the 4 weeks of liquids as a mental challenge, a cleansing of your body from all the toxins and crap you and I have been eating for years. This is the beginning of the rest of our lives. I may sound a little harsh, but I will tell you honestly, when I got on the scale this morning and saw that I've lost 14lbs. in 5 days, it makes it all worthwhile, and we're worth it, aren't we? KEEP GOING FEBRUARY BANDERS...STICK WITH IT AND WE'LL GET THROUGH THE ROUGH SPOTS TOGETHER. XOXOXOX:thumbup:

PS" can someone out there help this computer challenged woman with getting her tracker onto my logins? I can't figure it out, duh:mad2:

Well I have 8 days until the BIG day. I am scared that I may not have shrunk my liver enough. I have an appt with the RN on Thursday to find out how I am doing and weigh-in. I think she will tell me at that visit whether or not I can go forward with the surgery. I hope she says yes.

I did talk to the dr and nurse last week and they allowed me a small salad carrot stick or celery and 1/2 a tuna fish sandwich. Still with having that I am so tempted by food. I cheated on Friday I wanted a cheeseburger so bad!! Well I got it ate it and afterword felt horrible and they weren't even that good ...definitely not worth it! But I have moved on since Friday and am holding on for another 8 days. 8 days til my life changes.....hmmm. Gives a person alot to think about. I sure hope no one is as naughty as I am! Good luck and may we all find what we need thru banding.

If you don't get this rectified NOW, your chances of succeeding with the band are slim to none. Eating an egg white was one thing, but now you're on to cheeseburgers??? :)

You need to know, your life won't change JUST because of the band. I'm afraid you think that once you are banded, all your work is over. It is only beginning.

Maybe the band is not for you. You have to be very dedicated to have it, and maybe you just aren't there.

OK I see it this way. If I could have done it on my own and kept it off I would have and I have not been able to. There will be times we all fall. And lets face it going from overeating the way we all are use to now shakes it is hard. And once the band is there , just knowing it is there, this will make things a lot easier. And ya know hearing of other banders not missing old foods- habits is so inspiring.

I may fall but I am quick back on my feet!

OK I see it this way. If I could have done it on my own and kept it off I would have and I have not been able to. There will be times we all fall. And lets face it going from overeating the way we all are use to now shakes it is hard. And once the band is there , just knowing it is there, this will make things a lot easier. And ya know hearing of other banders not missing old foods- habits is so inspiring.

I may fall but I am quick back on my feet!

Then I guess you have the answers. Good luck.

KEEP GOING FEBRUARY BANDERS...STICK WITH IT AND WE'LL GET THROUGH THE ROUGH SPOTS TOGETHER. XOXOXOX:thumbup:

PS" can someone out there help this computer challenged woman with getting her tracker onto my logins? I can't figure it out, duh:mad2:

Thanks for the pep talk - I think we can all use that now and again!!

For the tracker - you go to Weight Loss - Diet Ticker and create your tracker. Copy that Code.

Then go to User CP, Under Settings & Options click on 'Edit Signature' and Paste the text in the box. Hope that helps!

I was scared of this too. I had a 2 week pre op liquid. Christmas was in this 2 weeks. The Dr did let me "cheat" anjd eat a traditional Christmas dinner, minus the deserts. All was fine. I am guessing a little "cheating" is prolyok, but I would talk to your Dr just to makee sure.

I was scared of this too. I had a 2 week pre op liquid. Christmas was in this 2 weeks. The Dr did let me "cheat" anjd eat a traditional Christmas dinner, minus the deserts. All was fine. I am guessing a little "cheating" is prolyok, but I would talk to your Dr just to makee sure.

No, a little cheating is not probably okay. There is a reason for the rules. Also, never forget a little cheating here and a little cheating there is what got us to this point.

The two-week pre-op diet is only the beginning. It's not as if your life will miraculously change the day of your surgery. You may as well start to learn now how to adhere to a regimen that is required by your doctor if you want to succeed. If not, then keep doing what we've always been doing.

I'm starting pre-op liquids on Tuesday...I'm glad it's finally come because I've been having my 'last meal' since November and gained about 10 extra pounds I didn't need, but I know it was anxiety. I'm trying to think of things that will occupy my time since I'm home all day and won't have my hobby (eating) to keep me busy anymore...wow! its MY time to 'get a life'. Good luck to all February banders, and everyone else

OK - I am cracking up at this "Last Meal" statement! I start my liquid diet tomorrow and had my final LAST JAPANESE FEAST today at lunch! SOOO DELICIOUS but I did say goodbye!

I, too am so anxious!!! It is really amazing to me how much power food has over me and how much I rely on it in every emotion - happy or sad. I know it will be hard on liquids for so long but I will not risk waking up from surgery not banded. My surgeon had a patient a few months ago that that happened to. Her liver began to bleed when he pulled it away from the stomach and he had to abort the surgery.

Wish me luck!!!