Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 1/21/09. Need support.

Hi! My name is J.C. I'm from NY. I was in a lil' pain after surgery & not very hungry. Now I am mentally hungry 3 days post op. my port is very sore & sewn into my muscle. I have horrible gas in the shoulder/neck area. Can't wear a bra...But hey, I would do it all over again. I know that I've made the most important decision of my life....I choose to live.... please respond with support! i need you! lol.

hi j.c i too was banded 3 days ago & a lil sore where the port is..keep moving/walking & the gas will get easier, im also taking codeine Syrup so im comfortable..

This is the begining of a new life for us..4 weeks of fluids/soups for me now

hey jc, I had surgery mon. 1/19(had major complications,bled internaly,worst case scenario,blah blah blah) but my worst pain was in my right shoulder,up the side of my neck.it was excruciating almost like spasms, mine was probably worse because of my complications but it did pass on the 4th day here it is sat. and I am still sore in the stomach but most of all I'm starving! how does anybody get through this liquid only phase? I;m baffled but anyway I know you wanted a more positive response (sorry) but the more you move the shoulder pain will go away good luck! nikki

Don't use the broth that comes in a can. Make some chicken Soup and let some of the vegetables dissolve. Then strain it and sip on it. Be creative. I had my 17 year old son cut up some potatoes into very very small squares and boil it in chicken broth from a can until the potatoes get very soft some should melt. Again strain and sip.

My husband and son boiled some flank steak they cut in small cubes. As soon as it came to a boil they changed the Water to get the brown foam that floats on top out (Rinse it to get it all out). Then add clean Water, cilantro, green onion, onion, season (i.e. garlic power, Lawrys, salt) zucchini, carrots, celery, and potato in this order. Boil for 2 to 4 hours and add water as needed. Once this is almost all cooked add cabbage and boil for another 1/2 hour or so. You want the cabbage to start to melt. Then add a bag of frozen corn.

You want everything to boil until everything starts to melt. Use a mesh strainer to serve yourself and for the family have them add avocado and fresh lime juice to their bowl. If you plan on using it for you cream Soups take your juice and veggies out before you add the corn because the corn does not blend well. At that point you can add a bit of smashed avocado to yours as well. If it gets too thick add some can broth to yours and enjoy. Oh, the broth will change the taste.

Congrat on your surgery JCNY. It is the best healthy decision you can make and it is a great way to start the New Year!

Good luck on your journey.

You are doing good from the sounds of it. The gas will go away faster the more you walk. I had to sip Fluid and Protein Shake like every 15 minutes, even used a timer to keep track. The pain meds will help a lot too. If you find a comfortable position to lay, remember it. The measuring cup/spoon will be your good friend for a few days. Soon enough you will feel better and the drinking will get easier. If the whey Protein does not work for you, try some soy protein, works wonders for me. Keep your chin up and get ready to watch the weight come off :-)

Hey JC I was band on the 8th. What you are going through is normal. I went through it too. It does get easier everyday. Just keep with the program and you will be fine. I am now eating normal foods and my calories are staying around 500 to 600 a day now. But the weight is still coming off. Congrats! on your surgery and keep up the great work.

My surgeon allows me to take chewable Gas X and it really helped the first few days. Walking around and sitting up straight helps a lot too.

I'm 8 days post op and feeling better already...hang in there, each day gets better!

Find something to do, even come read posts here each time you have that mental hunger, that subsides quickly too. I think we are so used to eating, it's just habit...at least it is for me! - well WAS for me!

Edited by mom23gr8boys

Hey JC I was band on the 8th. What you are going through is normal. I went through it too. It does get easier everyday. Just keep with the program and you will be fine. I am now eating normal foods and my calories are staying around 500 to 600 a day now. But the weight is still coming off. Congrats! on your surgery and keep up the great work.

What do you mean you're eating regular food? My docs instructions have me on liquids and Protein Drinks for THREE WEEKS (banded 1/14/09). I've been experimenting with creamed Soups but haven't dared do anything else. I'm not hungry, just bored. I'd love some cottage cheese and soft scrambled eggs. Just what are you eating?

Hang in there Banded, it does get better, although not as quickly as we'd sometimes like. My incisions were sore for a lot longer than I thought they should be and I still see the scars quite clearly but it's only been 10 months and I know they'll fade eventually. My best advice is to sip slowly, chew slowly, and savor your food as much as possible. It helps fool the brain.

:w00t:

Hi JC i was banded on 1/21 as well am still experiencing some unexpected pain like when i swallow it becomes very tight and hard to breath. As of yesterday(sat.) i was allowed to incoroprate suger free ice pops but had to let them melt in my mouth first i find it does hurt a little bit but im hoping this too shall pass. i have my first check up on mon. i think to have the staples out and i pretty sure this is where i get my Protein Shakes back. Good luck on your journey!!!!!!!!

Hey JC! Congrats to all of us for our decision to become healthier! I was banded 1/16 and am already to the mushy stage. Trust me, it all gets easier! the gas is totally normal but it totally does help to get up and walk around. I have 3 kids so I was up the next day because I had to but it totally has helped! Also, PowerAid zero was my saving grace! I would try to sip as much as I could as often as I could. Oh, and I got a good book and read to get myself busy! Good luck to you!!! :w00t: