Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traumatic First Fill Experience & Need Some Advice!

I had my surgerty back on 11/12 and had my first fill exactly 1 week ago. My surgeon has a Medical Fellow who got me prepped for the fill and told me that since my port was so close to my skin it would be an easy fill. After he got me on the table he decided to do the fill himself. On the first try he said he was having difficulty getting "in" to the port s he grabbed another syringe and tried again. Still no luck. On the next try he was putting so much pressure on the syringe that the pain was really intense. But still no luck. Well 8 tries and 5 syringes later I was screaming out in pain! At this point my surgeon came in (probably hearing the commotion) and took over. It took him 4 tries and finally he said "I am in" but he could not get the plunger to go down so he literally had the fellow hold the syringe s he could push down with both hands and was able to get some liquid to go in. And then asked for another syringe (#10) and was able to get some more liquid to go in. Both doctors said they had never had an issue like this with a patient and it may have been caused by air in my band.

Since the fill I seem to have some restriction but it is not consistent. Sometimes I can eat very little before feeling "stuck" and other times I can eat lots with no issues at all.

I am concerned that the amount of liquid that went into the band is really a question mark and I have concerns that things are just not working as they should.

Anybody have any similar experiences or thoughts?

Wow, sorry you went through that. Don't let it scare you off from future fills if you need them.

I agree with Jack, perhaps next time your doctor will have a better idea of what Fluid is actually in the band. Usually, a doctor will take out the old fill to see what is left and then add new fill.

If your second fill is as complicated as the first, then I would suggest fills by fluro.

As far as restriction, it really is hard to get consistency on the first, second or third fill for that matter. I have ahd three fills, was banded on 11/11/08 and restriction comes and goes. Mornings I am more tight. After I exercise I am really tight. Afternoons, I don't feel like I have good restriction.

Just keep up with your aftercare and get the fills when you need them.

Actually, yes.. mine were this way for the first 6 months till they finally realized my port was flipped. They fought and fought and poked me several times.. I just grit my teeth and sweat through it.. but after I found out all that time my port was flipped, I thought back on the times they 'thought' they were actually filling it.. it was a weird sensation and there was resistence.

Maybe your port is flipped too, and they were trying to inject saline into the back, thus it wouldn't go :scared2:

Otherwise, kind of odd for them to get that much resistence just so.

Might want to ask to do a fluero..

Actually, yes.. mine were this way for the first 6 months till they finally realized my port was flipped. They fought and fought and poked me several times.. I just grit my teeth and sweat through it.. but after I found out all that time my port was flipped, I thought back on the times they 'thought' they were actually filling it.. it was a weird sensation and there was resistence.

Maybe your port is flipped too, and they were trying to inject saline into the back, thus it wouldn't go :scared2:

Otherwise, kind of odd for them to get that much resistence just so.

Might want to ask to do a fluero..

How did they ultimately resolve the flipped port issue? Did they need to operate again?

I feel your pain! My first fill went off without a hitch. The second fill and then unfill were not so pleasant. For the fill he had to keep inserting the needle and it took him a long time to find the port. Then, a week later I needed a slight unfill. WELL, he inserted the needle what felt like a million times and then gave up. He said that he kept hitting the plastic around the rubber center. He thinks that there is some scar tissue over the rubber part. When I asked him if my port was flipped he said no, but I'm still worried. I think for the next fill I'm going to ask for fluoro. I hope everything works out for you...not fun!

How did they ultimately resolve the flipped port issue? Did they need to operate again?

Hi Gary,

I just went for my first fill this morning (under flouro) and found out that my port had flipped. My doctor was extremely apologetic and said that a relatively simple outpatient procedure would take care of the problem. Basically, he's going to schedule me for a revision where I'll be put under again, though not as intensely as for the original surgery. Then, they open up the port area, turn and relocate it, then stitch me back up. He said I'd be off work a day and would have to take it easy thereafter, but he assured me that all would be fine afterwards, albeit a bit sore.

Of course, I'm concerned, but I'm not freaked out about it. I know it happens and have a friend who went through the very same thing and has been incredibly successful with her weight loss. But I do know one thing for sure...I'm going to make him promise to sew that baby down like crazy this time!!!

You have received so many good replies already, but I just wanted to send some hugs your way. I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience. I wish you all the best for an uneventful second fill.

They did operate to move mine. This surgery was a breeze compared to the first!

My doc also moved my port to try to keep it from happening again. It was in my belly.. he moved it to my chest (between my breasts) and said he put a lot of extra stitches, stitching it to a flat hard place.. instead of the jiggly belly!

It's also right under the skin now, so I can feel every inch of it.

Anyway, the only bad part of the surgery is that I was self-pay, so I had to come up with the money for another surgery (I believe it ended up being another $2,500 for hospital/anesthesia--and my doc didn't charge for his services).

They filled it while I was under, and I started dropping weight wonderfully after the fix, which made up for all the inconvenience.

How long did it take to recover from moving the port? I'm paranoid that mine is flipped because he couldn't find it last time even though he claims it was only scarring. Just want to be prepared!

Hm, not long. I didn't even need pain meds beyond tylenol for a couple of days. I had it done on a Friday and went back to work on Monday with no complaints.

I too had a difficult experience with my first fill. The Dr. couldn't find my port for the longest time, and there was much poking around with the needle and two changes of needles before he finally got it. I had to ask for some local anesthetic half way through because I couldn't take it anymore.

Now I'm going back again next week because I don't feel like I have enough restriction. Reading this thread has renewed fears that maybe there was something wrong with my band. I have some restriction, but I can still eat everything, and certainly more than I should be. It's all willpower right now that's keeping it under control.