Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

finally gota date feb 9

Now that I have a date, I seem to be getting nervous and stressed.I have faith in the surgeon but I'm scared about the anesthesia. and being put to sleep.< /p>

Edited by bigbarry1

It is natural to be nervous. I had several surgeries and I still get nervous. While I was in the prep room at the hospital for my band surgery, I thought what would happen if I just put my clothes back on and hightail it out of here.

But then I remembered that it took me a year to complete so many requirements to have this surgery. And that I wanted to get healthy. I wanted to live a long and healthy life. And I knew if I did not have this surgery that I would die a young age because of weight related health issues.

I had the surgery...I had some complications....And yes the first 7-days post op for me sucked! But I would do it all over again, because the band is giving me the healthy life style that I wanted back.

Yes, it is natural to be nervous, but you have done your research and you picked a doctor that you trust. So just go with the process and remember all the reasons why you wanted this surgery so badly.

Good luck!

Have you ever been anesthetized? For me, it's pretty much no big deal. The big difference, to me, between anesthesia and sleep is that with sleep I "wake up" with a sense that time has passed, but with anesthesia I don't. When I "come to" I always (well, have had 3 surgeries so for those times) look for a clock (most recovery rooms have one) to orient myself to what time it is. That always seems to center me.

Anesthesia itself is very modern. They are easily able to take us down and bring us back up quickly. I'm sure it depends on the patient and the expertise of the anesthesiologist, but I always expect to wake up alert and oriented and that happens to me. Twice I had a mild sore throat afterward for a few days (due to the tube they insert, once you're out, to keep your airway patent...and 99% of the time it's removed before you wake all the way back up) but otherwise, nothing. Some have some nausea, but I never have.

It IS scary any time one has surgery. But laparoscopic is non-invasive, your surgeon and his team are pros at doing it (and pros at the special needs of bariatric patients) and you won't have to be out very long so don't run as many risks as for other more invasive surgeries!

Hang in there!

Barry, I had the exact same fears that you do. I had reached 40 years old and had never had surgery. Now, six months after being banded, I have had two! Both were no problem at all.

I told the anesthesiologist (prior to both surgeries) that I was worried about nausea from the anesthesia, so they gave me medication prior to surgery and immediately after, so I experienced no nausea with either surgery. I don't remember ANYTHING after being wheeled into the operating room. You always hear about being asked to count backwards and crap. Nothing! Wheeled in and then I woke up in recovery. It was a piece of cake. Try to think about the medical personnel that are with you and the training they have. They will be able to anticipate and handle anything that comes up. You will be in good hands.:biggrin:

I do remember being in surgery...the first time I was shocked and interested because it looked nothing like what I expected (from TV)....that curiousity is part of what led me to nursing school. So you may remember a little then, or not, but either way it'll be over with and you'll do fine.

Hi Barry, I'm being banded on Jan 28th, and am having the same anxiety--so you're not alone! (I keep telling my boyfriend that I feel like I'm about to get on a plane--I am a terribly fearful and panicky flier!) But I just keep reminding myself that I am putting myself in the capable hands of caring experts!

Being completely up front with my anesthesiologist during my pre op testing last week and telling her exactly how I am feeling was a HUGE relief for me--she talked me through the whole process of exactly what will happen. It made an incredible difference to my mindset just to say it out loud to the people who will be taking care of me.

While I'm admittedly still nervous, visiting this forum and reading people's posts is a major help, too.

Thanks for sharing how you're feeling--and if you want to chat, just drop me a note!

Good luck--it'll go great!

Val

Hey I really appreciate everyone's support.

Today I talked to a surgical nurse and she told

me that my concern about being put to sleep is normal and the fact that i have already lost 67lbs on my own is a big plus.

Also all cleared by cardio, pulm, and gast. support group is also very helpful. 30 females 1 male just I'm lucky:redface: