Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

trounle in lap band land

Hi all. Im just not losing weight and I don't know what to do. I was banded on november 12th,08. Thats about two and a half months ago. I have not even lost 10 pounds. And i lost most of that when I was on my liquid diet. I have had three fills , each time putting more in. I know have in 3.2 in a band that will hold 4.0. Does this not work for some people. I just don't know what to do? Helppppppppppppppppp. Has this happened to anyone else?:thumbup:

Are you keeping track of your calories? Are you exercising? Sometimes its hard to remember that just having a lapband is not a miracle cure. The weight will not just fall off because you have had a procedure. It takes effort on your behalf to make your tool work for you. Best of luck!

What are you eating and How much are you exercising? I am 1 year out and I remember at that time I was walking 2x a day. No sugars, no white anything except for milk. I did the 2 day liquid and 2day mushy after every fill. Do you feel any restriction? Do you stop drinking 30 minutes before you eat andwait 30 minutes after you eat!! I would have the Dr do flouro and barium swallow and see how fast it goes down.. Be patient you are 2 months out, use this time to finish healing and plan your new way of eating, menu plans, move , move and then move some more. We have to re-train our brains, The band is a "tool", make it work for you.Good luck!!:thumbup:

Have you at any time felt restriction where you ate less? Is your doctor doing your fills under fluoro? It is always possible for them to miss the port an not actually fill the band. It is also possible that you just need a little more. Sometimes it take 3 or more fills for people to feel restriction. Don't give up yet.

Hi all. thanks for the responses. Yes I have been excercising. That is the one thing i have never had a problem with. I do need to get better on the food choices. I do have restriction but and I definately eat less because of it but my body is just not letting go of the weight. Is it possible that it just may not work on some people. does anyone else have numbers even close to mine in the first two minths. I know everyone is different but I'm just trying to get some idea of where other people are in there progress after two months.

Thanks all

Hi all. Im just not losing weight and I don't know what to do. I was banded on november 12th,08. Thats about two and a half months ago. I have not even lost 10 pounds. And i lost most of that when I was on my liquid diet. I have had three fills , each time putting more in. I know have in 3.2 in a band that will hold 4.0. Does this not work for some people. I just don't know what to do? Helppppppppppppppppp. Has this happened to anyone else?:crying:

Hi. I apologize this is so long, but I know you are unhappy and in need of help. I can understand how you feel, and I know what you are going through. I been there before, and for a long time, too.

I had lost about 18 lbs initially after I got the band done last year in February '08. I had actually stopped losing weight for many months after May. No lbs. lost from May to almost December. I was really sad about it, but I knew my day would come, if only I kept trying.

Each time I went to the doctor, I'd complain that I just didn't feel I had enough restriction, so he'd give me another fill. I have a 14 cc capacity band, with 8.5 cc's in it so far. The last fill I got end of November did the trick as far as very good restriction. I'm now losing weight again, thankfully. I've lost about 8 lbs in the last month, which is perfect, because I have a goal to lose 8 lbs every month.

Well, we all know that the lap band is just a tool to help us lose weight, but we need to work with it of course. But, the trick is to KNOW HOW to work with it.

It sounds to me that you are eating just enough calories to maintain your weight, but not lose any.

My doctor has given me one of the most invaluable tools to help me get back on track and start losing weight again (actually, he told me from the very beginning to use it, but I never did). After so many months of not losing any weight, he reminded me again to use a free site called Fitday.com, and then to follow a 1,200 calorie diet. It wasn't until I really paid attention and used this site that I really got to see how just how helpful it is.

It's a calorie counter and a lot more. It will tell you how many calories you'll burn just by sitting and doing nothing, based on your BMI. It will also calculate how many calories a day you'll need to eat every day in order to reach your goal weight. It helps you keep track of your weight loss goals, calculates your daily caloric intake, and offers a fitness and personal journal as well. You can really see your progress as you go along, with graphic charts and pie charts, and this can help you stay motivated. You will need to consult with your doctor first about how many calories are safe for YOU to eat every day, and to mention the web site.

You must log in every single thing you put into your mouth every day in order to keep track of your calories. Write them down, and then edit them into your daily food log. You'd be surprised to see how much you really eat and how fast those calories can add up. If you follow and use this site as recommended, and use it to the fullest, you should begin to lose more weight.

First and foremost, you must remember the band rules to eat right and eat Protein first at every meal. Wait 30 minutes to an hour after drinking before eating, and do not drink for at least one hour after eating. If you feel hungry between meals, eat a green lettuce salad with fat free dressing. You are doing well to get in your daily exercise routine.

It's also very important to follow up with your doctor every month or so to monitor your weight loss and get fills when you need them. Only you know your body and only you will know when you have the right amount of restriction for weight loss. I hope this helps, because it really helped me to stay on track and to get started losing again. Good luck! :tt2:

I think folks believe the band in and of itself is going to lose the weight. I know for me I don't feel like it's doing much either. I am walking 3.5 miles a day, every day. Im also dieting, and yes to me it's a diet. Some people report they are losing without effort, but I guess I wasnt eating that badly before, because to lose Im still having to burn more calories and watch every bite I eat. To me that's a diet. .... could be age related too. I'm 58.

btw, sparks is also a free site if you want to join. It tracks your calories, if you put in what you eat. It suggests exercises based on your age and weight. It will suggest different sparks groups to join which you might like etc. I use it to track my exericsing mostly.

Edited by flowers

Candicane, I also use fitday and log in every bite and drink I put in my mouth. If you do this and find you aren't consuming too many calories, the possibility exists that your metabolism has slowed and you need to jump start it. One way would be to vary your exercises and your calorie intake. If you and your doctor say to stay between 1200-1500, you may do 1200 or even down to 1000 for 2 days then on the third go to 1500. This may trick your body into letting go of some weight. It works sometimes. Good Luck!