Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out of town for the band

Hello All, I am new to this site. I will be having my band done on March 11 in order to address my sleep apnea and pain from spinal arthritis. My BMI is 36.5, and I wonder if the weight loss will be significant enough to help with some of my problems and to prevent other problems. Is there anyone here who started off below 40 who had similar goals?

I will be flying from Washington State to Denver to have the procedure done because I am self-pay. I am wondering if anyone here has had his/her surgery done by Dr. Kirschenbaum. I have read several good things about him so far, and I am pleased with the process and his people up until now.

I am apprehensive about the band, though solid on my decision. I have a lot of stomach acid, and I worry that it might get worse. I've read that it gets better, but I don't see how it can....

I also worry a bit about flying so soon after having it done, though it's a short flight. If you've traveled to have the band done, maybe you might share your experience with me. Thanks

Hi! I flew out of state to have surgery. Got back to hotel from surgery early afternoon and flew out at 9:00 the next morning. I was worried, too. I didn't have any serious problems. I was very sore but was able to shower and dress pretty easily. Dress comfy and pack light. It was difficult to find any liquids to eat at the airport, like Soup, and I was definitely nauseated by the time I got home. I ended up taking a few small bites of yogurt and making it liquid before swallowing. I also had a little "panic attack" on the airplane, but I am terrified to fly and had two flights. I think it was from being so nervous about the surgery and not eating, etc. Good luck!

I to am going to Denver with Dr.Kirschenbaum, I wish I could fly out but my husband doesn't like to fly, so we are driving from MN It will be about a 10-12 hour drive, I'm worried about the drive home and how I will feel, I will be getting out of the envoy often to walk, and I know I can put down the backseat so I can lay down on the way . I'm getting very excited and ready to start my new life. Last night my DH asked if I will be happy again when some of the weight comes off, just told him until you've walked in my shoes you will never know how happy I will be.

I started my pre-op diet yesterday and is going very well so far, my husband loves it I'm making meals for him, instead of him figuring out what to have.

Good luck with everything!!:tongue:

Hi. I flew from NC to have my surgery with Dr. K. Denver is fantastic so I vacationed there a few days before the surgery. I had the surgery the day before I left. I had surgery in Aurora and stayed at the Best Western Gateway because it is close to the surgery center and had a recliner and fridge in the room The recliner was very important for that first night (and subsequent nights when I got back home). I had to refrigerate one of my meds, so that was good too. The first night was horrible because of the gas pains. Everything was very easy except for one thing. I should not have flown on the morning after surgery. I should have waited to fly home until the 2nd morning after surgery, or at least much later on the day after surgery. I upgraded to 1st class on the way home and that made it more comfy. My sister went with me for surgery and she wheeled me through the airports in a wheelchair because I was half zonked out of my mind on the pain med. But I didn't take any prescription painkillers after that first day, so you know it couldn't have been too bad. Dr. K is fantastic and he has tons of people that fly to him for surgery so you have lots of company. Let me know if you have any questions.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know how it went. I have heard good things about Dr. K. I was planning to fly out the next morning. Maybe I will plan for one more day....I hate to leave my kids for that long, but I don't want to push my luck, either.

When are you going mnfarmgal? I am going on March 11.

maestrita I have my surgery on the 4th, It finally hit me the other night in the shower that this is really happening. On sat. I mailed the payment off and my daughter was sitting there ,I made a comment that this is the real thing now, my daughter started laughing and asked me if she should run down to the mailbox real quick and grab the check.

Good luck to all the Feb. banders our time is getting closer!!!!