Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Drinks...yuck

I have started on my liquid protien diet....O.K., the first one was good, the second drink was O.K., the third I though was gross and the fourth one....forget it! I was suppose to drink 2 more, but I simply could not.

I am not really hungry...Oh, yeah, I could eat if I had to...hahahaha, but I literally can't "stomach" those Protein Drinks today. I tried the unflavored unjury in lemonade....nope, yuck...........

Any suggestions? Please help....I have to be on this liquid diet for TWO WEEKS!!!!

It is hard but you have to suck it up and do it. We all have to have that Protein. You will do great. Try to swich the flavors around. I found that Boost shakes tasted the best. Plus you can mix up a Protein Shake with Banana's and Peanut Butter. Let me know if you want some recipe's and I can PM you and send them your way.

Angie

Thanks for the reply.....Oh, I know it has to be done, it is just hard to drink something as you are puking....

I was told that I could not add anything to the Protein drink....if I could that might help. I think I will call the dietian...

Guest tawnyday

I bought the Muscle Milk from GNC. It really tastes like a good thick milkshake! The flavor i bought is Cookies and Creme and it is tasty, however i think the chocolate may taste better. The 4pack already mixed is $10.99 or you can buy the large container in the powder but its over $40. each 11oz. carton has 21grams of Protein.

I also got the Isopure drink, it's clear and it tastes like a diet Snapple with a little gritty Protein taste. it's at GNC too and was $3.49 for a 20 oz bottle. it's got 20 grams of protein per bottle.

Margo are you able to add in sugar free flavoring? I'd ask the nurse because it adds negligable calories and can REALLY help the ol' shake go down.

GO here: http://www.davincigourmet.com/page.php?page=742&s=0&&category=2

There's a bunch of flavors and they help make things easier. Just a thought.

Sorry you are struggling!

I use Slim Fast,( the low carb kind) add 3 ice cubes and put it in the blender. I then put it in the prettiest glass I can find, I buy colored straws and put that in the glass too. It looks great and tastes great. I have bought different kinds of protien drinks and they all taste very bad.

It took me awhile, but mine are yummy. I bought a $13.88 Hamilton Beach shake maker from Walmart. I use soy milk, 1/2 banana, some frozen berries and some bran Cereal. I buy plain old fashioned, "Milk and Egg" Protein Powder from Walgreens and add a little. If the berries aren't sweet, a pinch of Nutrasweet does the trick.

Well guess what, I didn't do it, and I'm still living, LOL. No way could I chug, sip, or swallow any of that Protein stuff, not that I don't wish I could have, because I would have preferred lots of Protein. I still got protein, but not as much as ya get in those shakes.

Oh no Lisa, I thought it said vodka after the frozen berries, that kind of shake I can handle, LOL, but not smelling that protein stuff, yuk.

Guest tawnyday

I thought it said vodka
HA!!!

i know, rite, along with sour mix and a lemon wedge :cheeky

I am still waiting for a call back from the dietain's office...actually I spoke to the hospital dietian but she wanted to touch bases with my surgeron's office. O.K., if that's the case, I could be dead by the time anyone gets back to me!!! Guess, I will keep calling....the SF Jello cup and chicken broth ain't cutting it. I am lightheaded, peeing like a race horse and very cold (and it's 95 degrees out).

I do appreciate all the support I get from this board and everyone on it...you guys are great. Hell, I told my daughter that I was going to post my protien "problem" even before I thought about calling my surgeon's office!

And, Pat, thanks so much ....now I don't feel like such a "freak" for not being able to "stomach" the Protein drinks!

I don't have to do the pre-op liquid diet but will have to be on it after banding. I decided to start trying out some of the shakes so I would know which ones I would do better with so I have them for Breakfast each morning. So far, I like the MuscleMilk the best; I put it in the freezer (when I am home) before I get in the shower. By the time I am ready to go and take it with me it is good and cold. It also keeps me full for a long time.

Has anyone found a prepared shake that is tolerable at room temperature. That is the problme I haven't found an answer to.

Now I am crying...and I am angry....I called my surgeon's office. I got the office manager on the line (only because she answered the phone, I am sure)....anyway, I explained my situation. She said, "well, too bad, you gotta just get though it, besides how are you going to handle things after surgery? You know you need the Protein Drinks to survive that first several months". I was shocked because as a lap-band patient I know we use the Protein drinks, but I had always thought that it was better for us to eat our protein rather than drink it. I asked her if lap-band patients needed to drink as much protein....she said "oh, yeah", but then hesisated as if she either did not know the difference or something. This office is big in RNY, by the way. She told me to just wait for the dietian to call back.....I must say I am envious of you guys who have friendly, helpful and knowledgable office staff to communicate with.

Don't cry Margo, I am pretty sure she doesn't know what the h*ll she is talking about. I know doctors are different but I can't recall any of the bandsters saying they survived on Protein drinks for the first several months.

No, I am pretty sure she doesn't know what she is talking about. I would definitely call her on that. I was on Protein shakes for about 4-5 weeks and once I could get enough Protein in the pureed or mushies stage, bye bye Protein Shakes.

I actually liked the Atkins Advantage chocolate Royale. Not bad, especially ice cold. That is about the only one I could handle...and I drank it rather quickly. Isopure was pure hell! I didn't mind the flavor, but the aftertaste in my mouth made me want to hork! LOL

Good luck and don't worry, you will get through this and you will never look at a liquid diet the same again!!!

Wow, we have no pre op diet and then 3 wks of liquids followed by 3 wks fo squishy. I bought a magic bullet and ground chicken breasts and mixed with mayo my dietician says great. also we can add pb and stuff to shakes but no lumps/strain them.