Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Drinks...yuck

She said, "well, too bad, you gotta just get though it, besides how are you going to handle things after surgery? You know you need the Protein drinks to survive that first several months".

Call that mean lady back and tell her that after surgery your tummy will be swollen and you won't feel this frapping hungry! Tell her if you could just "get through it" you wouldn't need banding in the first place. And then tell her that her customer service skills SUUUUUUUCK.

Dayum, that's terrible! Now, I'll admit my drs office isn't much better than that, but they do have SOME customer service capabilities.

OK - this is going to sound disgusting - but it's what I had to do - I needed to EAT normal food - but I was on a liquid diet.

I used 9 marinated asparagus spears (low carb, low Protein, low calorie), 2 artichoke hearts, and beef or chicken broth. I pureed it in my magic bullet - and the consistency was that of V-8 juice - it was just my own made up vegetable juice. But you get the picture - you can get a low calorie drink and still taste something that resembles food.< /p>

I also bought Safeway Select Tomato Basil Soup - which was incredible.

I even pureed cottage cheese and smoked salmon (that was high protein) with some broth.< /p>

After 5 weeks it was just so hard to drink the same old stuff.

I also got the idea from this board to put Peanut Butter in my chocolate low carb ultramet - and it tasted delicious!

I know I can add all the extras like Peanut Butter, fruit, etc. AFTER surgery, but I was told to "just get through it" with the straight Protein drinks.....I don't see why I can't add peanut butter, etc. now BEFORE surgery? Any ideas about this?

You want a low carb, high Protein diet to decrease the size of the liver. The liver sits over the top of the stomach - right where the band goes. They have to retract the liver with a liver retractor as it is, but it makes it more difficult if the liver is really fatty.

So, they prefer that you lose weight, and it's hard. I've never worked so hard for anything. I don't diet - I'm not good at it - but my resolve in this matter has been sincere and I am determined not to fail.

I have messed up a time or two - but I just start new the next day. I've found a few staples to get me through - like diet peach tea snapple - I buy it by the case. 0 calories - and it tastes good. My Protein Drink with Peanut Butter, Tomato basil Soup, Breyers no sugar added juice popsicles (only 25 calories) and a few other things.

It's worth it, each day of denying myself - has proven to me I CAN DO IT. I don't feel so much like the band is doing it - I feel like I AM.

I know I could go out and start drinking mochas, eating ice cream, but I have decided I will not do that - not this time. I won't sabatoge myself - I'm just buckling down and doing it.

I sold my beautiful fully paid for Jeep Liberty, and I drive a $1,500 1990 something Honda Accord with little rust spots, no air conditioning, no CD player and a slight odor. I cannot let this be in vain - I won't let it be in vain.

I know you can do this -

You want a low carb, high Protein diet to decrease the size of the liver.

It is interesting that you say that because that's what I thought too....and I understand that shrinking the liver is the key goal pre-op....but, my surgeon's office wants me to use a Protein Drink with EQUAL carbs and protien. I told her I found one that I was told was good but not equal in carbs and protein....the dietain told me to add 19 oz. of regular fruit juice!

Bottom line....for 2 weeks instead of wanting to puke after every sip of this stuff why can't I just eat a low carb, high Protein diet.....won't this strink my liver and basisly do what the protein drinks do?

Very interesting - I cannot understand why they would want you to have regular fruit juice - that's a big mystery to me.

I felt like the pre op liquid diet also helped clean out my intestines (which was good for me). I was only on it for 3 days pre op - but I can imagine how awful it was. I was on liquids for 5 weeks total - and it was miserable.

Angie - Be careful with the BOOST shakes, it's loaded with Carb's. I was told to keep the shakes below 5g of carbs if possible. You can find samples of shakes at www.vitalady.com this way you don't have to spend a small fortune to find out you don't like it.

I'm using Designer whey (chocolate), and I like it a lot.

Good Luck - Kari

O.K., now I am brainstorming here.....what if I were to drink as much Protein as possible and eat the rest of my protein via protein chips, protein petrzels, or bars?

Personally - I wouldn't do it. If you want food - blenderize it - if you can't blenderize it into a liquid - don't eat it. he must have a reason.

Try and keep the carbs in each serving to less than 5-6.

When I was on liquids, my doctor told me I could have anything that would go through a straw, (I didn't use a straw), but I read a lot of labels and chose Soups high in Protein, and liquified lots of food in my magic bullet, especially chili. Have you thought about sausage gravy, with egg added, well blended/liquified, some salt and pepper, yum.